You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 250>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:08pm
Unpopular opinion: injuries completely ruined Sean Maguire and based on his first six months in England, I'd say he'd be a mainstay in squads right now only for that.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

It's not one miss. LOL He missed when it was easier to score against Ukraine as well, following a similar pattern at club level. Two absolute sitters and Kenny under pressure because of it. Three goals against two of the worst sides in Europe in meaningless friendlies and one against Scotland. Any time he faces good opposition, he chokes. 0 goals in 20 Championship games, but it's everyone else's fault at Preston, just like it was at Millwall.

He didn't choke in the 96th minute against Lithuania.
He didn't choke against Scotland the first time around. 

He is 20 years old. He is not finished article and he will have some good games and some bad games. Thought he was actually good the other night other than the miss and also not squaring for knight (think we scored the resulting corner though). That will come with more experience in my opinion. 
I'm delighted we have someone that appears to have a high enough ceiling coming through. Of course he still has a long way to go.

He works well with Obfami. I'd stick with it a bit longer. Hogan and Obafemi might not work out so well together. 
Leave that experiment to a friendly next month even

OGBENE is the one that should start IMO
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:12pm

Unpopular opinion: injuries completely ruined Sean Maguire and based on his first six months in England, I'd say he'd be a mainstay in squads right now only for that.

Weird take, never looked up to that level imo, while I agree that he was unfortunate with injuries.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:24pm

It's not one miss. LOL He missed when it was easier to score against Ukraine as well, following a similar pattern at club level. Two absolute sitters and Kenny under pressure because of it. Three goals against two of the worst sides in Europe in meaningless friendlies and one against Scotland. Any time he faces good opposition, he chokes. 0 goals in 20 Championship games, but it's everyone else's fault at Preston, just like it was at Millwall.

You have possibly the most simple minded understanding of what a "sitter" is that I have ever come across LOL

4 goals and 2 assists for a 20 year old striker with 16 caps - but yeah he scuffed a shot against Scotland having run the length of the pitch and put a header wide against Ukraine, so I guess we better dispense with him Clap
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

You have possibly the most simple minded understanding of what a "sitter" is that I have ever come across LOL

4 goals and 2 assists for a 20 year old striker with 16 caps - but yeah he scuffed a shot against Scotland having run the length of the pitch and put a header wide against Ukraine, so I guess we better dispense with him Clap

"Scuffed a shot" LOL He passed it straight at Craig Gordon after Obafemi put it on a plate for him and when he had time and space and the whole goal to aim at.

And, yeah, he put a header wide against Ukraine. With the entire goal gaping.

You're literally the only person not saying it's a sitter and I'm convinced you're only doing it because I said it was. 

If I told you the sky is blue, you'd be saying it's yellow.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:35pm
Ogbene vs. Parrott. Are they not two different types of players though? 
Parrott plays as a traditional forward through the centre. Ogbene is at his most dangerous out wide as a RW. The move to the 2 upfront has caused Ogbene game time. 

I wouldn't rule Ogbene out of fitting into the two but for me and the way we play then that would be in place of Obafemi. I think having both of Ogbene and Obafemi could make our attacks way more predictable. It will be all about getting in behind. 

That is another thing about Parrott that a lot of people are overlooking. What do most managers/ex players say about a striker who is not scoring but still getting chances? "Well at least he is getting the chances, if he keeps getting the chances then the goals will come". 
Parrott's intelligence and movement is what is helping to create the chances in the first place. 

Again, Ogbene i would be completely fine with if Kenny does play him but just trying to make the case why I think Parrott would still be my choice and I also suspect kenny's. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:45pm

"Scuffed a shot" LOL He passed it straight at Craig Gordon after Obafemi put it on a plate for him and when he had time and space and the whole goal to aim at.

You're literally the only person not saying it's a sitter and I'm convinced you're only doing it because I said it was. 

A sitter would be generally understood as a shot that is near impossible to miss, such as an open goal from 6 yards out. Parrott missed a brilliant opportunity, but to call a shot from the edge of the box, having just sprinted 70 metres and with a keeper closing you down, a "sitter" displays such a fundamental misunderstanding of the term that I'd have to question if you are simply on a wind up. This forum never did do balance particularly well though, everything always had to be either outstanding or the worst thing that has ever happened.
We're decent enough..
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:49pm

A sitter would be generally understood as a shot that is near impossible to miss, such as an open goal from 6 yards out. Parrott missed a brilliant opportunity, but to call a shot from the edge of the box, having just sprinted 70 metres and with a keeper closing you down, a "sitter" displays such a fundamental misunderstanding of the term that I'd have to question if you are simply on a wind up. This forum never did do balance particularly well though, everything always had to be either outstanding or the worst thing that has ever happened.
Do you want a bigger shovel for the hole you are digging for yourself  
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Ogbene vs. Parrott. Are they not two different types of players though? 
Parrott plays as a traditional forward through the centre. Ogbene is at his most dangerous out wide as a RW. The move to the 2 upfront has caused Ogbene game time. 

I wouldn't rule Ogbene out of fitting into the two but for me and the way we play then that would be in place of Obafemi. I think having both of Ogbene and Obafemi could make our attacks way more predictable. It will be all about getting in behind. 

That is another thing about Parrott that a lot of people are overlooking. What do most managers/ex players say about a striker who is not scoring but still getting chances? "Well at least he is getting the chances, if he keeps getting the chances then the goals will come". 
Parrott's intelligence and movement is what is helping to create the chances in the first place. 

Again, Ogbene i would be completely fine with if Kenny does play him but just trying to make the case why I think Parrott would still be my choice and I also suspect kenny's. 

Ogbene is playing up front for Rotherham all season (hasnt played RW or RWB since last season) and is also putting up the numbers. Parrott is out of form in front of goal, that's not a criticism of him as a player, it's just a fact and I think it showed the other night. I agree they are different types of forward, but we need a goal and Ogbene is the man in form.

I dont share the general opinion on here that, leaving aside the miss (and the missed assist), Parrott played well on Saturday night, whereas I thought Obafemi did after a shaky start. We shall see what Kenny goes with tomorrow night, I can see both sides, but whether he goes with Troy or not, I think he needs to find a way to get Ogbene on the pitch.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:00pm

I think there was time to take another touch and a striker in form would have taken it. Look there's no point dying in a ditch over it, it's a chance you expect your starting striker to take one way or another. I was just as annoyed with his failure to square the ball to Knight first half - that was a poor decision.
Idah Dream!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:19pm

Says the only man on earth who thought Collins foul on Grealish wasn't that bad. Even Stephen Kenny basically said it was a sitter FFS. It was harder to miss than it was to score. Pass was inch perfect. He had time. Goalkeeper committed too early. Entire goal was gaping. And he passed it to Gordon. Stop defending the indefensible. He's a young player and he has plenty of time to come good. But it was a sh*te miss, just like Ukraine, and we're going to reach a point where people can't use his age as an excuse for complete lack of form in front of goal and woefully inconsistent performances. He has good workrate; so do lots of our players.

Sh*te performance by him tonight BTW.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 27 Sep 2022 at 9:23pm
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:42pm
I said it after the game the last night. Shouldn't be selected until he starts scoring at club level. He was very poor tonight. 
Here we go again
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

I said it after the game the last night. Shouldn't be selected until he starts scoring at club level. He was very poor tonight. 
but gets in instead - hogan, Robinson. Obafemi and Ogbene are maybe worth a try in November - see if they gel.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:55pm
Should stick to the kinahans 
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:05pm
I'm a big Parrott fan, having tracked him since he was 16.

I expected him to kick on this season after a good loan at MK Dons last season Preston are in a bad way, which hasn't helped his woes. So it's not happening for him for club or country at the moment.

Kane had several loans from 17-20 like Parrott. Some successful, some not. It all came together for him at 21. We just have to hope that it will eventually click for him by 22. He's still only 20.

Connolly had to drop back to U21 level, and so has Conor Gallagher for England this month. A few games at U21 level might do him some good. I highly doubt it though. He's closing in on 20 caps.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

I'm a big Parrott fan, having tracked him since he was 16.

I expected him to kick on this season after a good loan at MK Dons last season Preston are in a bad way, which hasn't helped his woes. So it's not happening for him for club or country at the moment.

Kane had several loans from 17-20 like Parrott. Some successful, some not. It all came together for him at 21. We just have to hope that it will eventually click for him by 22. He's still only 20.

Connolly had to drop back to U21 level, and so has Conor Gallagher for England this month. A few games at U21 level might do him some good. I highly doubt it though. He's closing in on 20 caps.

Too busy thinking about Gucci and how much white his mates sell on a Saturday. Have a look at that Biggie Smalls fella he hangs around with.

Another Anto Stokes.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:30pm
I thought Parrott worked really hard tonight. He looks like a striker low of confidence and nothing came off for him tonight. He hasn't scored for club or country for about 12 matches since the start of August must be eaten away at him. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

but gets in instead - hogan, Robinson. Obafemi and Ogbene are maybe worth a try in November - see if they gel.

Did you watch the game to see the opportunity Hogan missed? Made Parrott's chance against Scotland look like an impossible one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 250>
  Share Topic