You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 251>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 8:03pm
My prediction is that Will Keane (or similar) will be our cult hero forward over the next couple years. 

I don't see Connolly, Idah or Parrott being "first name on the team sheet" players for Ireland over the next decade. 

Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

My prediction is that Will Keane (or similar) will be our cult hero forward over the next couple years. 

I don't see Connolly, Idah or Parrott being "first name on the team sheet" players for Ireland over the next decade. 

There's always the chance that Evan Ferguson could overtake them all.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 01 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 8:29pm
parrott is just 19 ffs
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

parrott is just 19 ffs

Exactly!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:19pm

Nothing over the last 24 months suggests he's going to stand out above any Irish player we currently have at the moment.

He grabbed the Andorra game by the scruff of the neck and pulled our arse out the fire, scoring twice at a time when we've struggled for goals for years. Put another on a plate for Curtis, who unfortunately bungled it.

And before some people say "that was only a friendly, and only Andorra", it was a must win game. Kenny & the team badly needed that first win, losing to Andorra would have been far worse than to Luxembourg. Parrott is the one who shouldered that pressure and showed impressive drive and desire to make sure we got that win. He made that first goal happen himself.

2 goals & 1 assist in 10 caps. There's plenty potential there, people just need to stop being so impatient & let him develop at his own pace.

Robinson & Ogbene are already on their way to becoming those cult heroes & will get there if they keep scoring even semi-regularly.
Those two have taken the pressure off the younger lads needing to be the finished article right now. Hopefully Will Keane is reasonably useful, even vs lower level teams, as that would further take pressure off.

As far as "first name on the team sheet" goes, a year ago who would have said Cullen or Ogbene would be in that category? Things can change fast.
Cullen, Ogbene, Robinson, & McGrath even, are in their mid-20's though, that's an important point to make. Connolly, Idah & Parrott might not really kick into gear until a similar age.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:16am
The first problem with Parrott is that he was massively overhyped from the moment he left Ireland, so expectations became completely detached from reality. If he had gone over with a lower profile and maybe to a smaller English club there wouldn't be the same level of expectation and he could just get on with things. 

The second issue is that we're desperate for a good young striker to come through, so the focus on him, Idah and Connolly is far greater than it would have been if we had a peak Robbie Keane or even Kevin Doyle in our team.

It looks like League 1 is his level at this point in time, and it would be a mistake for him to try to play at a higher level next season as things stand, he just doesn't look ready for any further step up. But it's probably still three or four years before we can make a realistic judgement as to what his eventual ceiling might be.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

parrott is just 19 ffs

Exactly!

If L1 is his level for the moment, there's nothing really wrong with that. Yes, we'd obviously like him to be scoring more, but he's had a disrupted month or 2, and at his age, form is unlikely to be consistent. I'd rather him play L1 next season, than move to a Championship team too soon.

He may never be a striker for a top EPL team but it's madness to be already writing off a 19 year old who is playing regularly and scoring, albeit less regularly, in L1.

Edited by The Huntacha - 02 Jan 2022 at 10:02am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
we shouldn't be passing judgement on any of our strikers until they are 23 at least.

Look at Bereton at Blackburn who has finally come good at 22. Scored more goals in half an season than in the previous seasons combined. Troy still has plenty of time to get to that level
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 12:12pm
Rightly or wrongly Troy was talked about as a potential Champions League level player. He was miles ahead of everyone in his age group and highly rated at Spurs. There is every chance he will go on to have a good career and play at a good level but the chances of him making it at the very top are getting slimmer and slimmer. Not necessarily any fault of his own rather the hype and expectation the fans and media put around him, I fear the same happening to Evan Ferguson. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 4:47pm
Midway through January and my "prediction" from several months ago about him not scoring until March doesn't look like it'll be far off. Just the one goal from the penalty spot and none from open play since I said that.

10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Midway through January and my "prediction" from several months ago about him not scoring until March doesn't look like it'll be far off. Just the one goal from the penalty spot and none from open play since I said that.

Thanks for the update,..I can enjoy my Saturday evening now
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:19pm

Good stuff Thumbs Up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:23pm

Good stuff Thumbs Up

And tell your pal Wetherall there's some for him as well!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:39pm

This needs it's own thread.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Where's PM when you need him.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:49pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Where's PM when you need him.

Thanks. Devastated and the kids are crying here now. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:04pm
Yeah why does this even matter he's playing in an attacking midfield role not up front. Eisa is the no 9 . Parrott played well today behind the striker showed for the ball used it well off both feet and always looking to make things happen . Great learning experience for him at 19.
Birdcracker View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:29pm
How long do we have to wait for this guy to live up to all the expectations since he arrived on the scene? Too many excuses from people with green tinted glasses on. Done absolutely nothing since he started playing men's football apart from scoring a couple of goals against the mighty Andorra.

Emerging league if Ireland footballer. Very average and that is being kind 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 251>
  Share Topic