You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 250>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Really surprised at how definite some on here are about the future. To name but two, remember seeing Tony Adams and Niall Quinn early in their careers at Arsenal and them getting dogs abuse from Arsenal fans. It would have been rare to find anyone who thought that they would amount to much. Just as lots of younger players who are highly rated seem to fall off, a number of less highly rated youngsters mature into very good players. I think there is room for optimism over the next few years in that we seem to have a lot more 'contenders' in a range of positions.

Yes, exactly. Nobody knows how any of these kids will develop. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 7:48pm
Jason Knight surely has a good chance of making it. Captaining a champ club at 19 is some feat. Think he is wrecked at mo. and needs a rest. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Darren Darren wrote:

Really surprised at how definite some on here are about the future. To name but two, remember seeing Tony Adams and Niall Quinn early in their careers at Arsenal and them getting dogs abuse from Arsenal fans. It would have been rare to find anyone who thought that they would amount to much. Just as lots of younger players who are highly rated seem to fall off, a number of less highly rated youngsters mature into very good players. I think there is room for optimism over the next few years in that we seem to have a lot more 'contenders' in a range of positions.

I’m more so just looking at how they are rolling now and the general attitude and ability of these younger lads. A 100% we don’t know how they will do. As it stands Connolly or Parrott the jury is out on them attitude wise compared to O’Shea Kelleher Knight or Bazunu let’s say even compared to Molumby who’s season hasn’t gone as well as those 4. In 3 years time I could be saying Connollys attitude is exceptional and Bazunus has fallen off a cliff.

Really it will take at least 5/6 years before these lads from 18-21 will start to reach their peak mid to late 20s.

They have plenty time just giving my opinion. If you were to say 3 years ago that Doherty would have been the next Irish player to get a big move to a Top 6 club you’d have sectioned the person who said it. 

No one knows for sure so many factors. It’s great to see us starting to produce Irish born kids again. Omobamidele is the latest one. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Apr 2021 at 8:01pm
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:08pm
It’s funny the way people assume Connolly’s attitude will hold him back from making it. I’m not saying they are are wrong but there is no real proof that is the case. It seems to be predicated on the fact he has bleached his hair and has a bit of a moan. Potter seems to have a lot of faith in him so he is obv doing everything he can in training as opposed to Hassenhuttel & Obafemi
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

It’s funny the way people assume Connolly’s attitude will hold him back from making it. I’m not saying they are are wrong but there is no real proof that is the case. It seems to be predicated on the fact he has bleached his hair and has a bit of a moan. Potter seems to have a lot of faith in him so he is obv doing everything he can in training as opposed to Hassenhuttel & Obafemi

If he got a giant puff as a haircut I couldn’t care less. More so the little bits and pieces of off the field stuff,his constant moaning and screaming looking for fouls etc. 

Potter has a lot of faith in him and I think he’s lucky he does. More so then Hassenhuttl with Obafemi possibly. Obafemi has time and plenty talent too but his injury record is definitely a slight concern. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 9:23am

Don't know about that. He's been on the bench more often than not.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

23 appearances and 15 starts this year apparently which is pretty decent for a 21 year old striker that only has 2 goals. Often seems to speak highly of him in interviews too. On the other hand Hassenhuttl has criticised obafemi for his application a few times
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

By “making it”, I mean playing consistently in the premier league.

For me, maybe O’Shea will do that (it won’t be attitude that will let him down) and definitely bazunu (going to put my neck out for this one. Early days for bazunu but love what I’ve been hearing about him, liked what he says in interviews and what a debut!!)

I don’t think the rest will “make it” at that level - a number of them will play at a level above parrott too I think.

As I said, I really hope ive egg on my face on 2/3 years 

I would be confident you will have egg on your face but I think you need to look at this over five or six years, not just two or three. Three years from now Bazunu might not be a Premier League regular as he'll only have just turned 22, but he could still have a great career in the game, he'll have another 12 or 13 years in him at that point.

For me O'Shea's attitude is clearly excellent and he'll go a long way. I think he'll be a Premier League regular again in future, probably after another stint in the Championship with West Brom, but he has done really well at this stage of his career.

Collins looks a cert barring injuries, I don't think Irish fans have realised yet how highly this lad is rated inside English football. Again, given his age, he needs a few years but he may well end up as the Irish player from this group that reaches the highest level in the game, definite top six potential there.

Knight I think will have a really good career too. He has played too much football this season for his age and it's showing in the last month or two because he has gone off the boil but he looks a future Premier League regular to me. His workrate on the field alone will get him a long way, but he is useful in the ball as well.

Bazunu and Kelleher as mentioned both have a great chance.

Idah, once he gets a bit older and develops into his body has a good chance, I would probably rate him more highly than Parrott at this stage. Parrott himself - who knows - too much was expected of him too soon. He has four or five years to find himself and recent reports on his attitude are good so I wouldn't rule him out, but he's less of a guarantee than some of the others.

The thing is though, there will be others who are not rated as highly now but will come through later in their careers. Nobody really talks about Jack Taylor much but he strikes me as the kind of player who could go from non league, where he was last year, via League 1 where he currently is, to the premier league in a few years time. He reminds me of Mark Kinsella who did the same. 

Mark McGuinness is a big unit who could come good in a few years time. Omobamidele is another. Plenty of time for the likes of Molumby and Scully also. Then there's Smallbone who has done well when fit and obviously Aaron Connolly. I think Connolly is almost being judged unfairly because he broke through at a very young age. I'd say he'll play a lot of premier league football in his career, though maybe in the bottom half of the table, with a few seasons in the Championship as well. So, Shane Long level basically, which wouldn't be bad at all for us.

They won't all make it, injuries will ruin some and others will just stall at a lower level and never kick on. But there will be others who will do better than expected to balance that out.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:47am

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

23 appearances and 15 starts this year apparently which is pretty decent for a 21 year old striker that only has 2 goals. Often seems to speak highly of him in interviews too. On the other hand Hassenhuttl has criticised obafemi for his application a few times

I'd have assumed he played more last season. Didn't check it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

For me, maybe O’Shea will do that (it won’t be attitude that will let him down) and definitely bazunu (going to put my neck out for this one. Early days for bazunu but love what I’ve been hearing about him, liked what he says in interviews and what a debut!!)

I don’t think the rest will “make it” at that level - a number of them will play at a level above parrott too I think.

I would be confident you will have egg on your face but I think you need to look at this over five or six years, not just two or three. Three years from now Bazunu might not be a Premier League regular as he'll only have just turned 22, but he could still have a great career in the game, he'll have another 12 or 13 years in him at that point.

For me O'Shea's attitude is clearly excellent and he'll go a long way. I think he'll be a Premier League regular again in future, probably after another stint in the Championship with West Brom, but he has done really well at this stage of his career.

Collins looks a cert barring injuries, I don't think Irish fans have realised yet how highly this lad is rated inside English football. Again, given his age, he needs a few years but he may well end up as the Irish player from this group that reaches the highest level in the game, definite top six potential there.

Knight I think will have a really good career too. He has played too much football this season for his age and it's showing in the last month or two because he has gone off the boil but he looks a future Premier League regular to me. His workrate on the field alone will get him a long way, but he is useful in the ball as well.

Idah, once he gets a bit older and develops into his body has a good chance, I would probably rate him more highly than Parrott at this stage. Parrott himself - who knows - too much was expected of him too soon. He has four or five years to find himself and recent reports on his attitude are good so I wouldn't rule him out, but he's less of a guarantee than some of the others.

The thing is though, there will be others who are not rated as highly now but will come through later in their careers. Nobody really talks about Jack Taylor much but he strikes me as the kind of player who could go from non league, where he was last year, via League 1 where he currently is, to the premier league in a few years time. He reminds me of Mark Kinsella who did the same. 

Mark McGuinness is a big unit who could come good in a few years time. Omobamidele is another. Plenty of time for the likes of Molumby and Scully also. Then there's Smallbone who has done well when fit and obviously Aaron Connolly. I think Connolly is almost being judged unfairly because he broke through at a very young age. I'd say he'll play a lot of premier league football in his career, though maybe in the bottom half of the table, with a few seasons in the Championship as well. So, Shane Long level basically, which wouldn't be bad at all for us.

They won't all make it, injuries will ruin some and others will just stall at a lower level and never kick on. But there will be others who will do better than expected to balance that out.

Nice summary not to mention the lads at Celtic, Warren O’Hora is another guy doing well. Danny McNamara at Millwall flying,Obafemi if he can stay fit. Joel Bagan hopefully declaring too. 
Hopefully some of them make it as PL regulars. 
CillDara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 11:32am

Good post. Obviously we don't know how each career will end up going but I think people forget how young some of these players are, certainly wouldn't be writing off any of them yet. I would be confident that a lot of our higher rated prospects will turn out to be at least Championship players with hopefully a good few of them being PL quality players. Parrott is a particularly hard one to judge as he was so highly rated and has not set the world alight on loan, but he is still ahead of the curve of almost all 19 year old forwards in England having played in the PL, senior international caps and now has nearly a full season of games under his belt with Millwall/Ipswich. He has a couple of years still before knowing how he will turn out. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 3:09pm

Brilliant post! It's been years since we've had this many prospects gaining 1st team football. I'd be very hopeful that 4-5 of the current crop will go on to have decent Premier League careers. Some will fall off a cliff and through hard work and application, others will emerge as late bloomers. I'd be confident in Kelleher, Bazunu, Collins, O'Shea, Knight & Idah making the grade. Only time will tell

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 03 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
Starts today. Another goal would be great for him.
I love beer gardens
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:57pm
Watching the game here, it terrible stuff,  ispwich are really really poor and parrot is not good again. He not good enough lads, i watched him so much this season and he been poor to average nearly every game. He lost his place at millwall and the same is going to happen him with Ipswich.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:28pm
Why doesn't EIRE produce strikers?

Keane, Quinn and Stapo over the last 40 yrs.  What a joke.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Watching the game here, it terrible stuff,  ispwich are really really poor and parrot is not good again. He not good enough lads, i watched him so much this season and he been poor to average nearly every game. He lost his place at millwall and the same is going to happen him with Ipswich.

I've watched him a good few times and I have to agree with you, not scoring is one thing but performances have been poor to ok 
He has shown some really good touches, control.and his passing is good too but not enough to keep him in a team.

Hes been fantastic for the Tottenham u23 and ireland u21 so it may be a case of him just not being ready for senior football yet and he's been thrown in too early.

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:37pm
Just taken off there now, he never even touched the ball once in the 2nd half
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Just taken off there now, he never even touched the ball once in the 2nd half

How did the Rochdale Irish do? O’shaugnessy is an interesting one - a 6ft 4 midfielder!

Edited by DeclanDaly - 05 Apr 2021 at 4:52pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 250>
  Share Topic