You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 250>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:12pm
Anyway... Wonder if our Troy will start tonight, Ipswich at home to Bristol Rovers. 
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

He might not be up to Kane's standard (which English player since Shearer is?), but he is an outside contender for Best of the Rest - 302 goals in 748 appearances, plus 20 in 57 for England:

Better footballer all round than Robbie Keane in my opinion

**runs and hides**

Defoe? Go way will ya

It's not an outlandish thing to say. They both netted double figures in eight Premier League campaigns (Defoe netted the most (18) over the course of an entire season). They have roughly similar goalscoring ratios at International level; in fact Defoe's mins-per-goal ratio is substantially better than Keane's (20 goals in 22 starts). Defoe's record in Europe is substantially better. Defoe was still scoring 15 goals over one PL season at the age of 34 while Keane was playing in Los Angeles.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 2:04pm
On the bench anyway 

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm

Where do people think Troy will end up next season? 

Edited by GaretFarellysNutSack - 02 Apr 2021 at 2:52pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He might not be up to Kane's standard (which English player since Shearer is?), but he is an outside contender for Best of the Rest - 302 goals in 748 appearances, plus 20 in 57 for England:

**runs and hides**

Defoe? Go way will ya

It's not an outlandish thing to say. They both netted double figures in eight Premier League campaigns (Defoe netted the most (18) over the course of an entire season). They have roughly similar goalscoring ratios at International level; in fact Defoe's mins-per-goal ratio is substantially better than Keane's (20 goals in 22 starts). Defoe's record in Europe is substantially better. Defoe was still scoring 15 goals over one PL season at the age of 34 while Keane was playing in Los Angeles.

The fact that Robbie was far more than a goal scorer and yet his goal scoring record was on a par with defoes says it all.  

Defoe was the sort of player who didn’t get involved in the play.  Anyone who watches the premier league in the the 2000s could see that Robbie was a better player and contributed more than Defoe. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm

Probably league 1.

I posted months ago in this thread. The lad obviously has ability but it’s looking increasingly likely he’s going to go like Anthony stokes - though mightn’t even get to that level.

Talent is one thing but it’s all about attitude that will be difference between those that won’t do it consistently at a high level. Connolly is another one.

Compare their attitude to the likes o Shea and bazunu - no comparison. Bazunu is only one in our young crop that I think will make it. I hope I’m wrong though, and still time fir these young lads to turn it around 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Probably league 1.

I posted months ago in this thread. The lad obviously has ability but it’s looking increasingly likely he’s going to go like Anthony stokes - though mightn’t even get to that level.

Talent is one thing but it’s all about attitude that will be difference between those that won’t do it consistently at a high level. Connolly is another one.

Compare their attitude to the likes o Shea and bazunu - no comparison. Bazunu is only one in our young crop that I think will make it. I hope I’m wrong though, and still time fir these young lads to turn it around 

Just keen to know what’s your definition of “making it”. I agree about Parrott and Connolly in particular by the way just little things reading between the lines does he even realise how lucky he is that Potter is still retiterating his faith in him in public press conferences. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:09pm

Probably league 1.

Whilst Stokes never fulfilled his potential and his attitude is very questionable to say the least, he still played at a reasonable level SPL and Championship for 12 years and won league titles and cups with different clubs etc..

I thought he was very good at Celtic for a number of years.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

**runs and hides**

Defoe? Go way will ya

The fact that Robbie was far more than a goal scorer and yet his goal scoring record was on a par with defoes says it all.  

Defoe was the sort of player who didn’t get involved in the play.  Anyone who watches the premier league in the the 2000s could see that Robbie was a better player and contributed more than Defoe. 

I think Keane's probably the better player. I just don't think it's as outlandish as some people think it is to say that Defoe is at his level. The stats in terms of PL football, European football, Intl football and trophies won aren't enough to separate them and you equally can't say that Keane made it at a big club and Defoe didn't. In terms of personal honours, Keane has 3 PotY awards compared to Defoe's 2.

Keane had those marvelous campaigns where he linked up with Berbatov. Defoe had telepathic chemistry with Crouch, Van Der Vaart and Rooney.

Both were rotated when they were at the club at the same time; indeed Keane found himself fourth choice behind Defoe, Kanoute and Mido at one point.

Keane's all-round play was good. So too it was for Defoe, who was superb at playing on the shoulder of the last man.

Keane's all-round play wasn't judged to be good enough to be able to make the step up to the required level at Inter or Liverpool. Fair enough, he was young at Inter and the manager who signed him was sacked as soon as he signed. And Benitez, arguably, mishandled him at Liverpool.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 02 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:32pm
By “making it”, I mean playing consistently in the premier league.

For me, maybe O’Shea will do that (it won’t be attitude that will let him down) and definitely bazunu (going to put my neck out for this one. Early days for bazunu but love what I’ve been hearing about him, liked what he says in interviews and what a debut!!)

I don’t think the rest will “make it” at that level - a number of them will play at a level above parrott too I think.

As I said, I really hope ive egg on my face on 2/3 years 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

**runs and hides**

Defoe? Go way will ya

I think Keane's probably the better player. I just don't think it's as outlandish as some people think it is to say that Defoe is at his level. The stats in terms of PL football, European football, Intl football and trophies won aren't enough to separate them and you equally can't say that Keane made it at a big club and Defoe didn't. In terms of personal honours, Keane has 3 PotY awards compared to Defoe's 2.

Keane had those marvelous campaigns where he linked up with Berbatov. Defoe had telepathic chemistry with Crouch, Defoe and Rooney.

Both were rotated when they were at the club at the same time; indeed Keane found himself fourth choice behind Defoe, Kanoute and Mido at one point.

Keane's all-round play was good. So too it was for Defoe, who was superb at playing on the shoulder of the last man.

Keane's all-round play wasn't judged to be good enough to be able to make the step up to the required level at Inter or Liverpool. Fair enough, he was young at Inter and the manager who signed him was sacked as soon as he signed. And Benitez, arguably, mishandled him at Liverpool.

No its not outlandish but Keane is the better player. And its not accurate to say he wasn't able to make the step up at Inter or especially at Liverpool but you have acknowledged the problems. Benetiz did everything he could to not allow him to flourish once he started scoring. Continuously putting him on the bench after games he scored in previously and subbing him off early in the majority of games. 

Edited by doherty - 02 Apr 2021 at 4:38pm
I love beer gardens
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:50pm

For me, maybe O’Shea will do that (it won’t be attitude that will let him down) and definitely bazunu (going to put my neck out for this one. Early days for bazunu but love what I’ve been hearing about him, liked what he says in interviews and what a debut!!)

I don’t think the rest will “make it” at that level - a number of them will play at a level above parrott too I think.

Point accepted. Personally I think Kelleher and Collins will also. Tbh it’s 5/6 years we will see the fruits of it these lads will be hitting their mid to late 20s the peak. 

Of the young attackers I think Idah is most likely to become a regular PL footballer. Connolly and Parrott have the talent but like you say you have to question do they have their heads screwed on.

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Apr 2021 at 4:52pm
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Point accepted. Personally I think Kelleher and Collins will also. Tbh it’s 5/6 years we will see the fruits of it these lads will be hitting their mid to late 20s the peak. 

Of the young attackers I think Idah is most likely to become a regular PL footballer. Connolly and Parrott have the talent but like you say you have to question do they have their heads screwed on.

Forgot about Collins - certainly won’t be because of attitude that he won’t make it. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:09pm
and kellegher needs to go out on loan and play first team football before we can judge him
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:30pm

and kellegher needs to go out on loan and play first team football before we can judge him

If Liverpool are in Europa next year he’s better off staying. Likely to play those games as 2nd choice. Throw in cup games and Alisson being a touch injury prone then he could find himself playing 12-15 games very quickly. 

The year after he does need to head out quite right but if he can impress for Liverpool as 2nd choice his CV would attract plenty of attention outside of England too.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm
disagree - he’s young, won’t learn much playing a dozen matches, needs to be playing regularly imo 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm

disagree - he’s young, won’t learn much playing a dozen matches, needs to be playing regularly imo 

12-15 matches in a Liverpool side would be superior to 30-40 Championship matches in my opinion. It depends who the loan is with.
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:57pm
Really surprised at how definite some on here are about the future. To name but two, remember seeing Tony Adams and Niall Quinn early in their careers at Arsenal and them getting dogs abuse from Arsenal fans. It would have been rare to find anyone who thought that they would amount to much. Just as lots of younger players who are highly rated seem to fall off, a number of less highly rated youngsters mature into very good players. I think there is room for optimism over the next few years in that we seem to have a lot more 'contenders' in a range of positions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 250>
  Share Topic