Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Troy Parrott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 251>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No idea why you're comparing him with Greenwood when the only comparisons they have in truth is age, they're two completely different players? Greenwood being one of the top young prospects in Europe for his age to boot .....

Also taking into account one is at Manchester United a side now playing free flowing attacking football and the another is potentially going to unfashionable Millwall who are extremely direct.

Perspective is needed, a return of anything between 5 - 10 (again depending on starts) would represent a decent and reasonable return.

You're right, GD, perspective is needed, but Parrott will be playing at Championship level against similarly limited opposition as Millwall. Less than 10 goals, whatever their style, in a reasonably injury-free season with high percentage game time would be underwhelming. Parrott has been hyped as potentially a once-in-a-generation Irish prospect - that's not his doing, but he will be anxious to prove it right.  

Greenwood has been incredible but Parrott can take a different route and arrive at the same place if he has the class and temperament.  Stop making excuses for him already. That's pessimism.

I'm a realist, not a pessimist big difference.

I don't believe in overhyping young players, especially those with a mere handful of senior appearances under their belt.

I'm also astounded how anyone could call it underwhelming for an 18 year old to score anything around 10 goals in his first full season playing senior football also.

How many Irish strikers score 20 goals a season in any of the top 4 divisions in England?

Yet we have some here of the belief that an 18 year old should potentially buck that trend immediately, strange......

Edited by Green Devil - 30 Jul 2020 at 3:57pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:30pm
Mourinho saying Troy is not ready for first team football so a move to the championship and regular first team football is a wise move for him.

The move should enhance his development a good competitive league with a high standard and testing physically.

Ideal for Troy.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 3:48pm
Good move for him, he becomes an immediate option for the senior squad once he's playing regularly in the Championship.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:04pm
The fact he’s going to a club like that where he is in and around a senior squad where he will expect to play regularly is enough for him at his age and if he gets 25-35 games brilliant. Doesn’t need to shoot the lights out at all 15 goal contributions in 30-35 games would be a right  return for an 18yo playing his 1st year of men’s football. Even Rhian Brewster who is getting a lot of traction for his spell in Swansea is 2 years older in a more attacking side. perspective is needed
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:27pm
We are not really going to know where Troy is at for another 3 years at least. I think there is a good group at Milwall for him and he will be turned into a man going out to get 3 points for his team this year. He has shown real class but lets not forget he has show a commitment to grafting at underage levels out of position aswell. He will come out of this just fine, 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:08pm
I think Connolly, Idah, Obafemi have taken the heat of Parrott a bit. I think he’s the most naturally gifted, but it’s a long road to the top
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:28pm
I say the same as a Man Utd fan but in general to higher level football clubs with the odd exception should be sending their young players out on loan for 3/4 years to learn their trade and develop. The Irish Celtic lads are a case in point even League 1 or bloody League 2 football playing 40 games would be fine at 19/20 and a whole lot better than playing kids football. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:29pm
If Parrott didn’t shoot the lights out for them it will still be a huge education for him and he can take the year with him and build on it from there then.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No idea why you're comparing him with Greenwood when the only comparisons they have in truth is age, they're two completely different players? Greenwood being one of the top young prospects in Europe for his age to boot .....

Also taking into account one is at Manchester United a side now playing free flowing attacking football and the another is potentially going to unfashionable Millwall who are extremely direct.

Perspective is needed, a return of anything between 5 - 10 (again depending on starts) would represent a decent and reasonable return.

You're right, GD, perspective is needed, but Parrott will be playing at Championship level against similarly limited opposition as Millwall. Less than 10 goals, whatever their style, in a reasonably injury-free season with high percentage game time would be underwhelming. Parrott has been hyped as potentially a once-in-a-generation Irish prospect - that's not his doing, but he will be anxious to prove it right.  

Greenwood has been incredible but Parrott can take a different route and arrive at the same place if he has the class and temperament.  Stop making excuses for him already. That's pessimism.

That's an insane expectation of a young player that we've seen very little off playing at senior level for his club and country. We simply haven't seen enough of Parrott to think that 10 goals would be either underwhelming or overwhelming.  

He is completely unproven at this stage for anyone to make any minimum expectation of him imo. 

GD isn't making excuses at all. You're the one actually compounding the hype and having expectations that aren't warranted yet. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 5:55pm
Imagine if people had written Harry Kane off after not 1, but 4 mediocre loan spells... If all goes to illustrate the nonsense element in the current hysteria around some players; you'd think their career was over if they hadn't set the world alight by 20 years of age.
We're decent enough..
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Imagine if people had written Harry Kane off after not 1, but 4 mediocre loan spells... If all goes to illustrate the nonsense element in the current hysteria around some players; you'd think their career was over if they hadn't set the world alight by 20 years of age.

You're right. Hopefully Troy can make the most of this loan move and realistic expectations will help him achieve this. It's a potentially great move if things work out.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:37pm
Turned down Celtic apparently ! Obviously seen how well his mates were getting on. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:52pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
Out of those options it looks like a decent choice one where he will get decent chance of gametime. Its up to him after that to impress. Hopefully he will.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:05pm
Turning down Celtic for Millwall would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but it just shows where Celtic's reputation has fallen to. He was 100% right to choose Millwall over them as well, more first team opportunities in a much stronger league.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:07pm
I read somewhere that Mourinho was insistent on him staying in London.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Turning down Celtic for Millwall would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but it just shows where Celtic's reputation has fallen to. He was 100% right to choose Millwall over them as well, more first team opportunities in a much stronger league.

Its not about Celtics reputation. Its about playing opportunities. He wud get limited time at Celtic pure and simple. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:24pm
I’m sure it had much to do with location but..... would have been nice to be at Celtic as they go for the ten. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 251>
  Share Topic