You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Coventry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Cullen did a little better in his latter loans stints in the English football pyramid so maybe they aren't directly comparable but might Coventry be better off looking elsewhere in Europe for his next move? He's the type of player who could improve on the continent in that he's not a dynamic box to box player that is becoming favoured in England a lot. 
definitely would be a lot better suited to Europe than playing kick and rush in England. hopefully other clubs the belgium will see the success that Cullen has had with Anderlect and take a chance on him.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:49pm
Cullen had a similar loan in the championship with Bolton at Coventry's age and it didn't work out that well for him either. Dropped down to League 1 the following season and developed from there. So, while this is a disappointing loan outcome for Coventry, given that he's relatively young at 21 there's still time for him to develop. 

From an Ireland point of view he has a lot of ground to make up on Knight, Kilkenny and Molumby, who are all midfielders around his age who are proven Championship performers. Difficult to see him playing much for West Ham, will need another loan, either this month or in the summer.

Edited by You Tell Me - 05 Jan 2022 at 4:49pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 4:53pm
Moyes likes a very tight squad, and diverges very rarely from it. Over the past two years he has sold, released and loaned numerous players, while still raising up young lads like Harrison Ashby and Sonny Perkins in League and European cup games. Other lads just seem to be on the periphery and not really involved in the overall plan, and I would think the loans are no exception.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:23am
Tricky spot for Coventry being at a team in a relegation battle for his first proper season in senior football. It's not what himself or the team really need. The team need a more experienced player to help fight out of the position. Coventry himself just needs a team to give him a good run and a team battling relegation probably won't.

Seeing a similar thing with Ryan Johansson at Fortuna Sittard. Newly promoted team, in a relegation battle, not trusting the young midfielder with much gametime. Both lads would be better off dropping a level to a midtable team that will give them plenty minutes.

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He struggled in League One so I was shocked he even got a Championship move. Not entirely surprised by this outcome.

"Struggled". Joined Lincoln in January 2020, played 7 games & then the Pandemic hit. Was barely there 2 months. "Struggled".

As was pointed out, similar happened to Cullen at the same age (though Cullen had a season and a half in League 1 prior). Played 12 games with Bolton in the Championship, next season went back to League 1 with Charlton and helped them get promoted. Stayed with them the following season, then joined Anderlecht & is now first choice for Ireland.

Speaking of Charlton, they just sent Arter back to Forest, so maybe they'd be willing to take Coventry.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 12:37am
He barely made an impression at Lincoln and he's been poor at Peterborough by all accounts.

From what I've seen of him playing for the U21's, I'm at a loss as to why he's mentioned as a potential starter at senior level.

I know it's easy to compare him to Josh Cullen - granny ruler, West Ham youth, surname beginning with C - but I'd say that's where the similarities end TBH.

Anyways, good luck to him. But he seems to be a bit too lightweight to reach the required levels to ever realistically be in the senior discussion.

My prediction is he'll carve out a similar career to Ryan Sweeney, who was also a stalwart for the U21s without ever making the necessary progression.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:16pm
His assist for the Ollie O Neill says all about his ability.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:54pm
Ya I think to say he struggled at Lincoln is a bit OTT, he was 19yo, was barely at the club for 8 weeks and made 7 appearances out of 11 matches.
I think he was brought into Petersborough as cover for the injured Taylor, once Taylor got match fit he wasn't in the starting team that much other than squad cover. They were subbing out for each other a lot at the start of the season.
Hopefully he can find another loan move for the rest of the season, maybe move down to league one and get plenty of starting matches under his belt.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 10:56am
Looking at a possible move to MK Dons, according to this:
https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/1480447344177041409

Any L1 move would be good if he gets starts, which is the big "if".

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:27am
Another player who could come good as long as he's playing every week.

He just needs to a look at how Cullen has developed into a very good player for us and Anderlecht.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:33am
Seems like the right kind of move for him at this point. Needs a successful loan badly though after Peterborough didn't work out.

MK Dons like an Irish loan anyway. Parrott and Kioso already on loan there. Warren O'Hora was on loan there as well before they signed him permanently.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:12pm
Could be a good move. Had a look at MK Dons recent teamsheets. They have Matthew O'Riley playing centre mid, he seems to be attack minded, he has 6 goals from 24 starts. The other midfield spot was McEachran early in season, he has been dropped for Kasumu lately.

So an opening for a deep lying midfiled spot could be up for grabs and might suit Coventry down to the ground. Fingers crossed it works out.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Looking at a possible move to MK Dons, according to this:
https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/1480447344177041409

Any L1 move would be good if he gets starts, which is the big "if".

Hendrick, Hourihane, Browne, Kilkenny and Knight were all younger than he is now when they were thrown in and each adapted pretty much straight away to senior football when give the chance.

It's pretty telling that a poor team leaking goals left, right and center would leave out someone who, as a defensive midfielder, should be tailor-made to sort out some of these issues, and play other players out of position at his expense.

I don't think he has the athleticism to play at a level that would require us to pay any interest in him. Nor does he have the passing range to make up for any of those shortcomings (Hourihane). Nor does he have the doggedness and bite that sustained Glenn Whelan as a player at that level for almost fifteen years.

I'd be genuinely surprised if he plays at a higher level than League One or Scottish Premiership in the future.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Could be a good move. Had a look at MK Dons recent teamsheets. They have Matthew O'Riley playing centre mid, he seems to be attack minded, he has 6 goals from 24 starts. The other midfield spot was McEachran early in season, he has been dropped for Kasumu lately.

So an opening for a deep lying midfiled spot could be up for grabs and might suit Coventry down to the ground. Fingers crossed it works out.

Kasumu likely to be out with a hamstring injury which also kept him out for the start of the season. Chances are he's being brought in to add numbers to the midfield if they think it's a serious injury.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 4:15pm
Good move for him if it happens.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:39pm
loan move to MK Dons confirmed for the rest of the season
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

MK Dons like an Irish loan anyway. Parrott and Kioso already on loan there. Warren O'Hora was on loan there as well before they signed him permanently.

There'll be one less Irish teammate there for him now with Luton recalling Kioso from his loan.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:49pm
Good move don't know much about MK Dons CM situation but going by their fanbase they badly need a player in Coventrys position. 

They will challenge for promotion too no doubt so a great experience for him hopefully he can play regularly.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:00pm
Ethan Robson was recalled by Blackpool, and he was only starting because Kasumu could be out injured for awhile.

He's most likely be competing with McEachran to partner O'Riley in midfield. Boateng can play in midfield too but he's played in a few different positions this season and mostly a sub for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 22>
  Share Topic