Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Coventry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As Coventry is now 21, if he makes one senior competitive appearance for us, will that keep him tied to Ireland? 

The answer to your question is yes. Also, if he makes a competitive appearance for our under 21s this autumn, that ties him to us as it's after his 21st birthday.

I'm open to correction, but I don't believe that is correct. 

I think he needs 3 competitive caps for our senior team before he is debarred from switching.

(Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong - haven't looked carefully at the eligibility rules for a while, particularly since they changed).

AFAIK that's only applicable if it's before his 21st birthday. 

I'm also happy to be corrected LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Coventry seems to be in the same position at West Ham as Cullen was at his age, highly rated, makes the bench a lot but doesn't seem to break into first team . Except Cullen had a full season of League One football under his belt at Coventry's age now.
Coventry really needs senior football games to kick on. 
I think it he will go on loan at some stage this season either at the start or mid season. He might have a chance of getting some game time in the cups & Europe with West Ham this season if he impresses in pre season. But it depends if West Ham make another Centre Midfielder signing or signings between now and the loan transfer deadline, if they do he is better off going on loan for the season. 
Coventry could easily find himself in the ROI squad if he was playing well and regularly at a decent level if the squad midfield options not playing, injured etc.

Hendrick and Hourihane are well established, and the latter is heavily linked with promotion chasing Championship teams. Knight's well ahead of him. Molumby is wanted by Championship teams according to The Athletic. Cullen is adjusting very well at a big team in Anderlecht. McCarthy is arguably our best midfielder on his day. Byrne, by virtue of his limited performances for us so far, is worthy of a squad place.

Browne, Taylor, Szmodics and McGrath are all well ahead in terms of consideration as it stands also.

Granted, some of these players play further in the midfield.

Coventry's 2 goals in pre-season would be more notable if he was renowned for goalscoring, but that's not really his wheelhouse, is it?
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Coventry seems to be in the same position at West Ham as Cullen was at his age, highly rated, makes the bench a lot but doesn't seem to break into first team . Except Cullen had a full season of League One football under his belt at Coventry's age now.
Coventry really needs senior football games to kick on. 
I think it he will go on loan at some stage this season either at the start or mid season. He might have a chance of getting some game time in the cups & Europe with West Ham this season if he impresses in pre season. But it depends if West Ham make another Centre Midfielder signing or signings between now and the loan transfer deadline, if they do he is better off going on loan for the season. 
Coventry could easily find himself in the ROI squad if he was playing well and regularly at a decent level if the squad midfield options not playing, injured etc.

Hendrick and Hourihane are well established, and the latter is heavily linked with promotion chasing Championship teams. Knight's well ahead of him. Molumby is wanted by Championship teams according to The Athletic. Cullen is adjusting very well at a big team in Anderlecht. McCarthy is arguably our best midfielder on his day. Byrne, by virtue of his limited performances for us so far, is worthy of a squad place.

Browne, Taylor, Szmodics and McGrath are all well ahead in terms of consideration as it stands also.

Granted, some of these players play further in the midfield.

Coventry's 2 goals in pre-season would be more notable if he was renowned for goalscoring, but that's not really his wheelhouse, is it?

All I was saying if Coventry was starting regularly and playing well at a decent standard you could see him in the squad soon again. He has been called up into the squad before, and being involved in the Irish set up for years so it is not impossible. I am not saying he should be starting or anything just because of his recent goals scored in a friendly. 
A lot of the names you mentioned in your first paragraph have had very mixed seasons from not playing regular for their clubs for periods or having injury troubles, who is to say that will or won't continue. Sure Hendrick was completely dropped from squads due to not playing and poor form. Personally I think we won't see McCarthy in a green shirt again due to injuries and prolonging his career.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

As Coventry is now 21, if he makes one senior competitive appearance for us, will that keep him tied to Ireland? 

The answer to your question is yes. Also, if he makes a competitive appearance for our under 21s this autumn, that ties him to us as it's after his 21st birthday.

I'm open to correction, but I don't believe that is correct. 

I think he needs 3 competitive caps for our senior team before he is debarred from switching.

(Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong - haven't looked carefully at the eligibility rules for a while, particularly since they changed).

I'm happy to correct you Smile. The three caps thing is only applicable before the 21st birthday, from September 2020 onwards once you play competitively at any level (including Under 21) after your 21st birthday you are tied to that country. At least until they change the rules again because it doesn't suit the Chinese or Qatar or whoever.

I thought Coventry was poor enough for our Under 21s during the summer and he hasn't made even a sub appearance in the league for West Ham despite being on the bench regularly. Given that he's 21 now I'm tempering my expectations for him at this stage. Next loan will be crucial for him. 

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Jul 2021 at 9:31am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:56am
Yeah, the 4 caps thing is only up to the age of 21.
Stops countries capping eligible young lads for 2 mins and then abandoning them forever (looking at you, France).

In Coventry's case, on current form he'd be delighted to get a senior cap off anyone.
Maybe he wasn't fit or whatever but the 3 games in June had him looking very ordinary, and I see a long list of names ahead of him but things can change fast and he's doing himself no harm in pre-season so fair play to him.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:33am
We are having good luck with the Irish mammies abroad. Coventry has an Irish mammy. Ryan Johansson, Dan Rose, Anselmo Garcia McNulty, Conor Noss and Will Smallbone are all sons of Irish mammies too. Jonny Walters was another and he spoke well of the drive to play for Ireland that he had as a result of his mother's passing. 

We have had less luck with the sons of Irish fathers. I'm thinking about Galway born father of Harry Kane and Dublin born father of Micheal Keane. Then there are Declan Rice and Jack Grealish's old men who are 100% Irish blood. 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 12:52pm
Add Rory Delap also to that list, John Joe Finns father is Irish and he plays for us.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Add Rory Delap also to that list, John Joe Finns father is Irish and he plays for us.

That Rory Delap one cuts deep as he played for us and has a lot of close ties to ireland. Having Liam play for us seemed a likely scenario but Is off the table now.

Edited by Left foot - 23 Jul 2021 at 1:17pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

We are having good luck with the Irish mammies abroad. Coventry has an Irish mammy. Ryan Johansson, Dan Rose, Anselmo Garcia McNulty, Conor Noss and Will Smallbone are all sons of Irish mammies too. Jonny Walters was another and he spoke well of the drive to play for Ireland that he had as a result of his mother's passing. 

We have had less luck with the sons of Irish fathers. I'm thinking about Galway born father of Harry Kane and Dublin born father of Micheal Keane. Then there are Declan Rice and Jack Grealish's old men who are 100% Irish blood. 

Irish Manmies ❤
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

That Rory Delap one cuts deep as he played for us and has a lot of close ties to ireland. Having Liam play for us seemed a likely scenario but Is off the table now.

How unlikely do you think that is? Is it a 1000/1 he plays for us? Lot of hype about him obviously but such is the attacking talent in the England squad he mightn’t get a look in there straight away especially if he doesn’t hit the ground running. . 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:54pm
I wonder how friendly Coventry is with Josh Cullen. If they got on well it would help. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I wonder how friendly Coventry is with Josh Cullen. If they got on well it would help. 

If Coventry and Cullen ever line up in the same midfield, I'll lose the will to live. Only need one of them.

If the two of them ever start we're gonna have to pray that the midfielder sitting in front of them is Messi like.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

How unlikely do you think that is? Is it a 1000/1 he plays for us? Lot of hype about him obviously but such is the attacking talent in the England squad he mightn’t get a look in there straight away especially if he doesn’t hit the ground running. . 

Not 1000/1, we'd just need him to be a lot sh*tter than he is currently expected to be. Not every player lives up to the hype so there's probably a 30-50% chance that he doesn't make the level expected and might then be available as a result. Of course the question then would be whether he'd be good enough for us either.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 9:33pm

Not 1000/1, we'd just need him to be a lot sh*tter than he is currently expected to be. Not every player lives up to the hype so there's probably a 30-50% chance that he doesn't make the level expected and might then be available as a result. Of course the question then would be whether he'd be good enough for us either.

To be fair the bar to play as an ireland first team forward is extremely low. At the moment you could say that Idah and Parrott are first team forwards and both haven't really done much.

If Liam delap make a few cup appearances from the bench for man City he would probably be considered for the first team.

Same if okoflex managed to get a few appearances for West ham 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:24pm
Has come on for last 20 mins vs Celtic. West Ham leading 4-2. Randolph also came on at HT.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:54pm

With the strength in depth England have in attack he mightn’t get anywhere near the level required in the next 5/6 years but might do in his late 20s. Che Adam’s declaring for Scotland was a good example will establish himself as a good striker in the next few years he will but not quite good enough to play for England. 6/7 years ago Adam’s might have fancied his chance a bit more. 

Be interesting to see what happens with him next season.

Edited by kevin100 - 24 Jul 2021 at 4:54pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 1:06am
Just watching the extended highlights of west ham playing northamptin and then Reading and Coventry looked pretty good.

Scored a couple of goals over both games and looked to pass the ball well. Might see him feature for West Ham this year.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:48pm

Coventry starts today against Brentford. It’s been a great pre season for him.
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
  Share Topic