You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Coventry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:06am
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
Hope he sticks with us. Looks a very competent player in the little i have seen of him for the 21s.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:41am
Another great prospect in centre mid. Is his mother Irish?
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:47am
Yes.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Hope he sticks with us. Looks a very competent player in the little i have seen of him for the 21s.

Be shocked if he didn't.
Has played 25 times underage, is a key member of SK's U21s and I'd imagine will be capped by him within his first year of tenure.  So he'd have to make a big decision then and I get the impression SK is encouraging far more loyalty than we saw from the shambolic MoN in this area (remember his treatment of Obafemi when he was in the camp looking to be capped...).
As an aside on that, was reading about that whole incident and saw a quote from MoN talking about bringing in the younger players for the friendly and the last NL match - 'the 24, 25 and 26 year-olds' etc....thank fuk we're past that nonsense.

The bigger question about Coventry is will he make it to International standard.  Here's hoping as he's looked v good to this stage.

Edited by Fozz - 03 Jan 2020 at 10:32am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:51am
I'm sure Stephen Kenny has regular one on one chats with the most promising players in our under 21 set up with the promise of international honours at senior level if they keep playing well and show the hunger needed to be a top professional.

I'm no fan of McCarthy but at least over the last 6 months we have seen Connolly, Parrott, O'Connor, Travers etc all win caps so there's a definite pathway into the set up now (to a point) and with the emergence of numerous other good young players like Knight, Molumby, O'Shea, Collins etc any young player in our set up should be licking their lips about the bright future they could have with Ireland.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:56am
Some players have their heads turned by agents and money unfortunately.

Grealish could have been a superstar for Ireland, he could have earned 100+ caps, and possibly play at Europeans and World Cups which both would have opened further doors for him but he got his head turned and chose England and now years later still has yet to make an appearance.

That should be a lesson to a lot of these players.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Grealish could have been a superstar for Ireland, he could have earned 100+ caps, and possibly play at Europeans and World Cups which both would have opened further doors for him but he got his head turned and chose England and now years later still has yet to make an appearance.

On current form, Grealish should be in the England squad for Euros next summer which could be the opposite lesson you're intending.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:31pm
His mother is from Ringsend, I think. Based on interviews with him, I’d be fairly confident he’s nailed his colours to us
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

On current form, Grealish should be in the England squad for Euros next summer which could be the opposite lesson you're intending.

Grealish is 100% good enough to be playing some part for England but unfortunately for himself, there are a lot of good options covering his position.

It's nearly 5 years ago since he turned his back on us and you'd have to think he'd easily have 30+ caps by now.

I think he's a far bigger loss than Declan Rice will plenty of our young central midfielders starting to blossom.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 03 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:42pm
30? If he'd turned up when he was first wanted in 2015, he'd probably be closer to 50. I think he'll win some England caps, perhaps 10-15, but he's not exactly young anymore and England always have a new flavour of the month coming through, so you never know.
We're decent enough..
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

30? If he'd turned up when he was first wanted in 2015, he'd probably be closer to 50. I think he'll win some England caps, perhaps 10-15, but he's not exactly young anymore and England always have a new flavour of the month coming through, so you never know.

Agreed. Unless there are a few injuries, I don’t see Jack going to the Euros this summer. He’ll need to move to a top 6 club to get his chance, don’t see him getting many England call-ups as he’s battling relegation with Villa. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Sadly this is true, some of the football he's playing for villa is incredible. Very likely that england will have a midfield of rice and grealish...

I disagree that he'll only get 10-15 caps however, there are no england players that can carry the ball like him. If he continues to play the way he is he could look to get 50 caps. 

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
The attacking options England have at the moment is incredible. Maddison has moved ahead of him now aswel as Sancho, Sterling and Alli. He will do well to ever play in major championships with the likes of Foden aswel coming up behind him.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

The attacking options England have at the moment is incredible. Maddison has moved ahead of him now aswel as Sancho, Sterling and Alli. He will do well to ever play in major championships with the likes of Foden aswel coming up behind him.

He'll play in this summer's Euros unless his form falls of a cliff.

He's better than Maddison

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Maddison's been around the squad for a while, and has a cap. Southgate's not likely to risk a new cap in the Euros.
I think Grealish with end his career with around 30 caps
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:14pm
Coventry linked with a loan move to MK Dons and Lincoln.

Appleton for Lincoln must've liked what he seen at the last u21 game as they signed Elbouzedi and are linked with several of our u21 stars
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Wouldn't agree with that. Maddison looks like the more rounded player - the type that tend to be more suited to international football than the likes of Grealish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic