You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Premier Division 10 or 12 teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is better 10 or 12 teams in the Premier Division?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [37.50%]
10 [62.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier Division 10 or 12 teams
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 11:28pm
Which is better 10 or 12 teams in the Premier Division?
i ask because every few years the League of Ireland's Premier Division changes in size between 10 teams and 12 teams in size.
Sponsored Links

Stuarty View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 12:23am
does anybody really care?
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:57pm
I'm not majorly fussed other than the 10 team league gives an equal home and away games and prolongs the season 
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:29am
12 for me. Next season is already down to 9 teams with UCD getting promoted.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:47am
12. Four league games against each side it's too many especially when you then add cup games into the equation.

I'd actually go further and have a Premier Division of 16 with Division One North and South underneath. But you'd need a proper league pyramid structure in place for that which won't happen with all the individual fiefdoms that currently exist in the 'football family'. 

Plus it obviously would need to be made attractive and not financially crippling for the likes of Leinster Senior or Munster Senior League teams to get promoted. But given that even NI have a pyramid system in place, I can't accept that we couldn't do similar if the will was there. 

I'd be interested in seeing an All Ireland League eventually. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:58am

4 league matches against each opposing team is perfect but that's the ocd in me. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:02am
I would nearly say 8! There aren't ten teams strong enough to compete at the highest level in the country, as the table shows.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:04am
10 is probably best under the current conditions. 
12 would be better for the PD but you’d nearly have to hand pick the last few places as Bray & Limerick at the moment shouldn’t be there. 
Shels, Finn Harps & Drogs would be good additions but you’re killing the first Division then.
Stuarty View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 6:45pm
Neither is ideal
10 is more boring playing each other 4 times but fairer than.
12 playing each other team 3 times but is fresher than 10 team league playing each team four times.

I say 12 because when the rep Ireland league had 12 teams the Rep of Ireland reached the Quarter Finals of  of Italia 90.  may be just a coincidence but all the same 12 is better.

Stuarty View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 11:46pm
a 10 team league allegedly creates“a poisonous climate of fear”.
Stuarty View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 12:27am
The football league's in both Wales and Scotland have toyed with the idea of whether to have a top flight of 12 or 10 teams and have opted for 12 teams!

Plus when the football league started it had 12 teams.

Ps When the Football League was created the word English and England was left out of the title name in it because the founder of the league William Merger was hoping for Irish, Welsh and Scottish Teams to enter the league but they never really did and formed their own leagues instead [except of course Wale's Cardiff, Swansea and Newport eventually enter the football League].
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic