You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new mental health thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 34>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Learned yesterday of the loss of a 24 year old girl known to all my family to suicide.  Fooking epidemic proportions now.  An absolutely beautiful young woman in every way, one of 6 kids, lovely parents.  Pressure on the young nowadays is scary.........poor kid. RIP.
that girl from down my way? Sounds like a girl in my estate,my missus knows the poor mother

Sadly yeah BSM, was at the funeral on Monday, unspeakably tragic. Cry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by LO SCIENZIATO LO SCIENZIATO wrote:

just before xmas was at a funeral (25 year old committed suicide) in Kinsale and was talking to the undertaker and he said in the first 3 weeks of December he had 6 suicides. all males under 40 Cry 

Always struggled mentally due to various factors as I have spoke about on here before, had a major breakdown myself over the Christmas period, seriously contemplated taking my own life, I had a plan to go through with it one night, I sat and looked at photos of my daughter and couldn't do it. As it would destroy her, Spoke to my counsellor about it who had me taken to a care institution up here, im not long out but still none the better. In fact in that place would almost make you feel worse. Fill you full of tablets and you don't know whats going on. I try to be positive but its a complex thing the way the mind works. Sometimes I accept I have this and other days Im to exhausted to live with it, Without my daughter I know id be long gone.  
cross rangers
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:31pm
Really hope things improve for you mate. 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

just before xmas was at a funeral (25 year old committed suicide) in Kinsale and was talking to the undertaker and he said in the first 3 weeks of December he had 6 suicides. all males under 40 Cry 

Always struggled mentally due to various factors as I have spoke about on here before, had a major breakdown myself over the Christmas period, seriously contemplated taking my own life, I had a plan to go through with it one night, I sat and looked at photos of my daughter and couldn't do it. As it would destroy her, Spoke to my counsellor about it who had me taken to a care institution up here, im not long out but still none the better. In fact in that place would almost make you feel worse. Fill you full of tablets and you don't know whats going on. I try to be positive but its a complex thing the way the mind works. Sometimes I accept I have this and other days Im to exhausted to live with it, Without my daughter I know id be long gone.  

Any time your up in Belfast or surrounding area and want to chat just let me know
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:41pm

Worrying to read that Paul B.

Get all the help and support that you can and keep thinking of that daughter that loves you.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:07pm

Sorry to hear you have been so low pleased you have your daughter to focus on bud.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:18pm
Stay strong for that daughter of yours. Ending your misery by suicide will only be the start of hers. Take care of yourself and talk to anyone who will listen.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
Everyone will listen. Talking helps. People may not understand but that doesn't mean they don't care.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 06 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:26am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They should have 'manned up'...

in fairness PM i think the days of "catch a grip"and "man up "and "snap out of it " are gone. 
10 years ago a mental health issue could lead to ridicule for sure but i think people are really educated now about this...

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:51am

Pressure on the young nowadays is scary..........
Why is this do you think ?

Social media ?
Reality TV ?
Instant gratification ?
Lazy society ?
Parents molly coddling them ?
Tenth place medals ?
Graduation Ceremonies when you leave crèche ?
Entitlement v Reality

Be interested to hear people's views on this as I work with kids although they are younger.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Social media ?
Reality TV ?
Instant gratification ?
Lazy society ?
Tenth place medals ?
Entitlement v Reality

Creepy football coaches trying to ride their Mas
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Social media ?
Reality TV ?
Instant gratification ?
Lazy society ?
Tenth place medals ?
Entitlement v Reality

Creepy football coaches trying to ride their Mas
LOLLOLLOL
Love it.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:15am

Social media ?
Reality TV ?
Instant gratification ?
Lazy society ?
Tenth place medals ?
Entitlement v Reality

Be interested to hear people's views on this as I work with kids although they are younger.

I work with young people everyday predominately between the ages of 14-20 and id say alot of them things play a factor. They dont have the social interaction skills that generations before them would have which personally I put down to the overuse of technology from a young age

The fact we as a society now reward failure I.e everyone gets a medal etc does nothing to help build up resolve in young people that helps them overcome challenges in life such as employment issues etc as for some that is the 1st time they have had to face up to failure and they dont know how to deal with it

The pressure put on young people in school is crazy now and it seems to have gotten worse ( compared to when I did my leaving cert 10 years ago) i see it almost everyday with young people im working with and have had tough conversations with parents because I've told their son/daughter Its ok if they fail an exam/drop out of college if they dont like course etc. I try to explain to them its not the end of the world and then help put them back on the path they want to be on

I would agree their is a sense of entitlement within the younger generation today but personally I put a lot of thst back on the parents as they are the ones responsible for teaching values etc to their kids from a young age. From experience I see too many parents who are more concerned about being their kids friend instead of been their parent. Bad behaviour goes unpunished and in some cases is still rewarded as parents dont want to be the bad guy

Alot more factors to it but the last thing I will say is the mental health of our young people today is a serious issue. I've been working directly with young people for the last 4 years and I've seen a rapid decline in it in them 4 years with 14 year olds now having more complex needs thsn 14 year olds had 4 years ago and if i was to predict anything it would be that over the next 4 year's it could be worse again
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:24am
There were no crèche graduation ceremonies in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s and no 10th place medals either back then, but people were still harming themselves so I don’t think they are adding to it now.
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:27am

i'd echo most things that have been said here. seek help and look at alternative methods also. tablets/drugs are not the way to go. a short term fix that can start in the next 10 minutes is exercise. go off go for a walk or run. come back and set yourself a routine and a target. go for mate and get better soon and love yourself today, not tomorrow. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

From experience I see too many parents who are more concerned about being their kids friend instead of been their parent. Bad behaviour goes unpunished and in some cases is still rewarded as parents dont want to be the bad guy
Agree with all your points but this one especially.

I'd say at least half the kids I coach (200+) their parents are separated.

The kids play on this as both parents give them what they want and Im the one that has to discipline them *

Ive lost count of the number of times a mother has asked me to talk to her 7 or 8 year old as he's a little bollix at home and "I'm the only one he listens to". And in some cases the kids Da lives at home. Im like a social worker not a coach.

* and of course both parents blame the other

Edited by Gary McKay - 07 Feb 2019 at 9:41am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:59am

Social media ?
Reality TV ?
Instant gratification ?
Lazy society ?
Tenth place medals ?
Entitlement v Reality

Social media has to be a massive reason. Consider something like bullying - it is magnified and amplified to a much wider audience via the likes of Facebook. Social media also allows kids to only show off the positive aspects of their lives (e.g Instagram) which can't be great for development either. If you are personally struggling you just look around and all you see are your peers seemingly acing it when they are probably anything but.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:22am

I know the fella who recently wrote a book called "Fun Unplugged" which is aimed getting kids off digital devices. It seems like a logical step. The internet is still very new in relative terms and social media is especially recent so it's hard to predict the impact it is having on peoples attention spans, the feeling of being constantly connected, and even dopamine levels through seeking likes on Instagram or whatever. I don't have children so it's easy for me to say but handing kids devices to keep them entertained or distracted from toddler age upwards seems a bit reckless. I know parents need an occasional break but it's too easy to throw an iPad in front of a child and it starts a negative pattern. 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 34>
  Share Topic