You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new mental health thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
Don't know about everyone else, but i'm definitely finding this lockdown the toughest. 

I'm lucky in a way i'm still going into work everyday and I don't think i've ever been so thankful for a job in my life. Just to have somewhere I can go to interact with people is worth it's weight in gold to me.

I live at home with my parents and my Dad would be in the high risk category, so when I am at home, thats it. I don't go anywhere, bar for a walk. I don't see anyone or do anything that would potentially put them at risk and I totally understand why....but christ you don't half miss normal life.

YBIG NPF founder and CEO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
I am very lucky in that I am working two weeks in three, while getting full pay, and live with someone who very rarely annoys me(I doubt she could say the same!), but even at that there's a build up of fatigue now. I don't know how those who have been on furlough, or worse, and live on their own are coping. 
I think the worst thing was the collective sigh of relief when we heard about the vaccine and saw an end in sight, only to then realise that end was still some way off. 

I also worry, over here at least, about how this is being policed and what it could lead to when this is over. There's a lot of stories of individual freedom being taken away, with police stopping those exercising and questioning where people are off to and looking for the right to enter people's homes if they suspect them breaking the rules. Those ****s make me anxious enough as it is and won't do anybody any good. Unsurprisingly, it is believed you are three times more likely to be stopped and asked about where you are going and why if you aren't white. 
Not seeing your family for months but seeing the cops every time you need some milk isn't going to help fight a virus.

Anyway, stay safe and try and think that there's a lot of people worse off than the majority on here (or so it seems).
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:23am
I've recently taken early retirement so I better get used to this lockdown craic.

There's always the football. Big smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:28am
I miss family and close friends  but don’t miss acquaintances or random people you run into.  I am afraid I may have caught Newryrepitis 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
Its definitely harder than the first lockdown. 
With the dark mornings and early evenings its hard to get out for a walk with the toddler even. When its bright outside and i've a chance to i have to be at my laptop in case people are phoning or emailing me from work. 
Turned the laptop off yesterday for 45 mins at lunch time and went out for a run and it made a big difference

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I've recently taken early retirement so I better get used to this lockdown craic.

Congrats DM, more time to go to events like Rory Gallagher fest and get a tour of lesser spotting England following Sunderland in the lower LeaguesWink
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Congrats DM, more time to go to events like Rory Gallagher fest and get a tour of lesser spotting England following Sunderland in the lower LeaguesWink

Thanks bud.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:23am
Thankfully this lockdown in work we were able to get into school to prepare for the next few weeks so we can have more engagement with the kids. Bit more purpose this time to the remote learning with the children which helps. First lockdown I took up darts which helped as I could see a lot of improvement, have stagnated a bit though but still fun to play competitively online. Jogging as gotten a bit boring, would like to do some sprinting to keep fit for football but ground is too wet. Should be in the run in preparing for a wedding but the uncertainty has taken the enjoyment out of that sadly. Look forward to a session on the cans at the weekend thoughBig smile
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
I set myself a challenge for January, Run 100k, Walk 100k and cycle 200k - I'm enjoying having something to plan, do, think about for a change.

I've also tried to plug out from Covid news, turned off new alerts, stopped watching SixOne and Prime Time. It was getting far too negative.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:36am
I'm sure it mist be awful for people who have lost their job because of this and other people trying to work from home while minding small children, particularly people who are looking after disabled kids but from my own personal point of view I'm not finding it that hard at all. I live on my own in Dublin and was there for the first lockdown back in March. I'm at home with the parents in Westport since October. Saving an absolute fortune which is going straight to paying off the mortgage. Don't get me wrong I miss going to the football and having the craic in the pubs at the weekends but I'm not finding it hard or mentally tough going without it or without interacting with anyone outside of house. Maybe there is something wrong with me LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
How are you paying off your mortgage?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Thankfully this lockdown in work we were able to get into school to prepare for the next few weeks so we can have more engagement with the kids. Bit more purpose this time to the remote learning with the children which helps. First lockdown I took up darts which helped as I could see a lot of improvement, have stagnated a bit though but still fun to play competitively online. Jogging as gotten a bit boring, would like to do some sprinting to keep fit for football but ground is too wet. Should be in the run in preparing for a wedding but the uncertainty has taken the enjoyment out of that sadly. Look forward to a session on the cans at the weekend thoughBig smile
My daughters online learning is much better this lockdown. They are using  Microsoft Teams instead of Google classroom and there has been huge prep work done on each lesson with the recorded videos and PowerPoints. Teachers get a hard time, sometimes deservedly, but it can't be easy trying to teach children remotely.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

As in I'll be in a position to payoff a large chunk of it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Worse places in the world to be Westport.  

Would you move back full time? 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm

How, as in what process? - can you just transfer over money via 365 or something?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

100%. Imagine having to stick out lockdown in Castlebar Dead
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:14pm

How, as in what process? - can you just transfer over money via 365 or something?

No I'm just saving money until my fixed term is up. I'll give them a call then I suppose to ask how I go about paying off a chunk of it. 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I'd love to but there is no guarantee that I'll have my job in 10 years time which might result in having to go back to Dublin to get a job. It's definitely something I'd want to do long term though. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 34>
  Share Topic