You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new mental health thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Have heard good things about Matt Haig and the girlfriend just bought his latest book. It's fiction rather than non fiction but apparently has made a huge difference in people 's lives who suffer from depression and anxiety 
I have only read 'Reasons to Stay Alive', which was a short and powerful book about surviving suicide. He seems a genuinely great guy. 

Neville Southall does some great stuff on Twitter as well, on a whole range of social issues. He is an amazing fella.Clap
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Have heard good things about Matt Haig and the girlfriend just bought his latest book. It's fiction rather than non fiction but apparently has made a huge difference in people 's lives who suffer from depression and anxiety 
I have only read 'Reasons to Stay Alive', which was a short and powerful book about surviving suicide. He seems a genuinely great guy. 

Neville Southall does some great stuff on Twitter as well, on a whole range of social issues. He is an amazing fella.Clap
I've just spent 20 minutes reading Matt Haig's twitter and he looks like a good sort so I've ordered "The Midnight Library" to read next weekend! 

@trig the job title was purely for context. 95% of finance roles(including mine) pay poorly but the general public hear "working in finance" and imagine Celtic tiger excesses, suits and obnoxious city boys. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:49pm
Triggered by name, triggered by nature.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

What is the name of the book Mark? I know somebody who might appreciate a book like this.

It's called the Midnight Library đź‘Ť
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:24pm
Very sad to see what appears to be another murder suicide today in Dublin. With the young mother last week in Lucan and the family in Kanturk, we've lost 8 poor souls to this horrible illness, in less than a week.

Edit - latest reports suggest a man involved in today's tragedy so not murder/suicide.

Edited by Lenny82 - 28 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:46pm
Already we have the weaponisation of these tragedies to serve a right wing political narrative

Disgraceful

There is no depth that the "open it up ta fook" lunatics won't stoop to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Already we have the weaponisation of these tragedies to serve a right wing political narrative

Disgraceful

There is no depth that the "open it up ta fook" lunatics won't stoop to

Of course ffs. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 7:39pm
Leave the political stuff to all the other threads ffs. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

+ 1 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm

Think Sids post is a reaction to Regina Dohertys disgraceful tweet earlier. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Deedin' it is
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:08pm

It’s doesn’t matter the point still stands 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:11pm

This is, and has been, one of the most important political issues in many countries for years and one that has been wilfully ignored by most. It cannot be dealt with in isolation. Everything is political, but even by that measurement this is of utmost political importance. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
Yes, yes, yes! Some more tragic deaths to feast on for political gain! 

By Honest John McLurk

I say the quiet part out loud

Grift.ie

When I heard the news about Ballinteer today I licked my lips in satisfaction. Yet another thing I could weaponise in my endless quest to twist the truth, in the quest to paint my heartless, nihilistic, ultra-corporate worldview as "compassionate" and "empathetic" and "in touch with the real people", rather than em, pathetic.

It's just a shame that what happened in Newcastle last January didn't happen a month or two later so I could have weaponised that too.

What I do is shameless, and I love it. I scour the internet for horrible tragedies that I can twist and blame on the victims, and if I can't blame the victims, well I'll blame it on left-wing scum, whoever they are - I never tell you who they actually are, preferring to leave the impression of a shadowy communist cabal who are working away unseen, and if that has vaguely anti-Semitic undertones, it's completely intended, but at the same time it's plausibly deniable, which is just the way I like it.

My trick is say something abhorrent and pretend I'm being victimised for saying it. I then portray myself as a fearless truth teller, even though I know full well I'm talking sh*t. I then attempt to portray the people who so rightly object to my cynical grifting as "liberal elitists", and thereby portray any real knowledge, empathy or compassion as an evil tool of oppression against the poor. I create false divisions in society, and I f**king ruthlessly exploit them, even if up to now, I'm still a sad, pathetic fringe actor, which irks me greatly.

But this was glorious. A chance to portray an imperfect but well meaning public health measure as a ruthless killer, and portray me, the guy who wants to let thousands of people die from a killer virus, as the person who actually wants to save lives! If I wasn't so shameless I'd almost be ashamed! I love it!

It had all the ingredients. I knew nothing about the details, but that wouldn't stop me from suddenly being the all knowing expert! It was a mother driven to suicide because of the lockdown. It was a father driven to murder his family because his small business was failing. And who was to blame? The far left loonies who are taking over our lives - I never actually say who these far left loonies are or tell you how they're taking over people's lives but who cares about pesky details! 

Oh feast, feast!

A few more tragedies like this that I can weaponise and I might yet fulfil my dream of being the Irish Donald Trump!

John 

Edited by sid waddell - 28 Oct 2020 at 9:41pm
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:47pm

This is, and has been, one of the most important political issues in many countries for years and one that has been wilfully ignored by most. It cannot be dealt with in isolation. Everything is political, but even by that measurement this is of utmost political importance. 

It shouldn’t clog up the multiple threads otherwise this forum will be down to Trap junior and his brother 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:05pm

Just saw her tweet. Never mind.

Edited by horsebox - 28 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:49pm
For the record I've seen it too but I think a comment like that should be on the irish politics thread rather then this thread. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

It shouldn’t clog up the multiple threads otherwise this forum will be down to Trap junior and his brother 
I'm not sure about clogging up, but any conversation about mental health cannot be held in isolation. The lack of an intelligent plan to deal with the crisis created by modern society has created, not to mention the cheap way in which lazy, and in this case unelected, politicians try and use it to point score is also part of the problem.
The biggest problem regarding mental health is that nothing has changed. People can say they have issues with less open stigma, and that is all, which leads to problems getting worse and the frustration that comes from politicians who don't care because there is no money in it.

The lack of willingness to tackle the issues that were originally raised comes from the same glib and patronising manner that has us no further now on the matter than  a decade ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 34>
  Share Topic