Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Nations League matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is it me or is the standard of football worldwide just becoming utterly sh*te?

In the early 90's it seemed every country had at least one world class player or maybe it jut seemed that way. A lot of countries had teams full of superstars.

I used to know loads of the players from international teams and they would be household names.  You could name the Dutch line up or the Italian line up etc.  I saw a bit of Holland and Italy tonight.  Turned it off.  Boring . Just no buzz anymore from it.   Only knew 3 of Italy's team and 3 or 4 of Holland's.    International football used to be so much more interesting.  Growing up with great games like Holland v England 1993 in Rotterdam etc and being served up this in comparison.  Ok the football might be more tiki taka esque but the players were miles better back then too.  Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Baresi, Baggio, et al...

Bah humbug

Was only thinking that tonight watching the scots and the Czechs.  Both teams got to euros in the 90s and the Czechs had nedved and a few other really good players and a decent team in 2000s. Croatia had great players and so did Serbia.  Ireland had Keane and Duffer and Robbie and Given.  As you say really good teams from the Dutch and Italians.  

Loads of countries now have players I haven’t heard of even top countries.   It’s all become very mediocre and not
Many stand out teams.  Finland Hungary the Czechs ourselves the scots and the welsh and Northern Ireland and Slovakia and Bulgaria Romania are all a much of a muchness 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

SeanPeadir View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanPeadir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
Ronaldo scored two absolute beauties against Sweden to take himself to 101 goals for Portugal. What a player. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm
2nd goal was outrageous. Perfect top corner placement from 20 yards out.

Another thing which was outrageous was Belgium, 5 goals, 76% possession with an overall pass completion rate of 91%, it's like they were playing Fifa on amateur difficulty.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:31am
Originally posted by SeanPeadir SeanPeadir wrote:

Ronaldo scored two absolute beauties against Sweden to take himself to 101 goals for Portugal. What a player. 

He is special. I know he isn't as likeable as Messi, probably as he is more selfish and doesn't track back etc. but what he can do in terms of getting into position and finding the net, I don't think there has been anyone better in history. 
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Is it me or is the standard of football worldwide just becoming utterly sh*te?

In the early 90's it seemed every country had at least one world class player or maybe it jut seemed that way. A lot of countries had teams full of superstars.

I used to know loads of the players from international teams and they would be household names.  You could name the Dutch line up or the Italian line up etc.  I saw a bit of Holland and Italy tonight.  Turned it off.  Boring . Just no buzz anymore from it.   Only knew 3 of Italy's team and 3 or 4 of Holland's.    International football used to be so much more interesting.  Growing up with great games like Holland v England 1993 in Rotterdam etc and being served up this in comparison.  Ok the football might be more tiki taka esque but the players were miles better back then too.  Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Baresi, Baggio, et al...

Bah humbug

Was only thinking that tonight watching the scots and the Czechs.  Both teams got to euros in the 90s and the Czechs had nedved and a few other really good players and a decent team in 2000s. Croatia had great players and so did Serbia.  Ireland had Keane and Duffer and Robbie and Given.  As you say really good teams from the Dutch and Italians.  

Loads of countries now have players I haven’t heard of even top countries.   It’s all become very mediocre and not
Many stand out teams.  Finland Hungary the Czechs ourselves the scots and the welsh and Northern Ireland and Slovakia and Bulgaria Romania are all a much of a muchness 
Same here - look at Serie A, it was THE go-to league for the top players in the world and several teams were worthy of the term 'star-studded' but you can't say that's the case any more. As you say, even when the team lineups are shown before ko, you're looking at some players thinking 'who the hell is he?'. 

Even the Brazil team are no longer the exciting flair team that they used to be. Also look how few out-and-out strikers there are in general compared to a couple of decades ago, not helped by the trend from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1 or similar resulting in lone strikers and in some cases, these 'false no. 9's.

Anyone got a time machine handy? LOL
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:06pm
Assuming we don't beat Wales in Dublin next month and first place in the group is gone, would it better for us if Finland were to beat Bulgaria in the later game rather than it being a draw? 

If we're not going to win the group then avoiding relegation to League C would be the priority imo.

Does it make much difference seedings wise if we finish second or third? 

Edited by irishmufc - 18 Sep 2020 at 9:13pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 1:01am
Just out of interest how many times have Ireland played Wales and Denmark in the last ten years ? Friendly and competitive games.

There's been a few hasn't there ?

trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:56am
We were in same group as Wales and Denmark in last Nations league. Also played Wales in qualifiers for 2018 World Cup and Denmark in the play off match for that and also played the Danes in Euro 2020 qualifiers.
So we will have played both of them 6 times in competitive matches in last  3 to 4 years after we play the Welsh again twice in Nation league.
I'm not sure about previous friendlies. I think most Irish fans have seen enough of Wales and Denmark now.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
This is a pretty historic night.

Why ?

Because Scotland will start tonight's match with two, I repeat, two strikers up front for the first time in about twenty or so years !

I'm feeling a wee bit faint.

And I know it's only a friendly but I have a feeling that Wales will sneak a 1-0 win against England tonight.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
Bosnia 1-0 up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:06am
Crown David Marshall the King of Scots first thing tomorrow. ClapClapClap

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 09 Oct 2020 at 12:07am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:08am
Well done Ersatz me aul mucker
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:21am

Well done Ersatz me aul mucker

Cheers. We played utter sh*te if truth be told. Many of our own fans wouldn't have thought our players would have the bottle for a shoot out. It's unlike us !

Scott McTominay had a horrific miss during open play which you'll see in the highlights but he did score his penalty when the time came. Liam Cooper also hit the post with a header right at the very end too.

What we really missed was Ryan Christie and Stuart Armstrong's creative play. Credit has to go to the centre back pairing of Liam Cooper and Declan Gallagher. I think the majority of folk would expect such a pairing to leak goals but those two lads played well tonight.

That was the first time since 1961 that Scotland played a game into extra time. It was also our senior team's first ever penalty shoot out. As for big David Marshall, love the guy, such a key player for us and doesn't get the credit that he should. 

Btw I'm really sorry it didn't work out for YBIG tonight. I know that Stephen Kenny is trying to get your team playing some decent stuff with the ball firmly on the park and having the confidence to move forward, trying out young players too. You may need to weather a bad storm for a few matches but I think he'll come good for Ireland in the end.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:34am
Aye some positives tonight.  Thought we played quite well and not one hoofball in the whole game.  Actually created a chance by cutting a team open through the middle.  Last time that happened was a LONG time ago
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 12:36am
Very well done ET.

I hope you've finally turned a corner and manage to cross that final hurdle. It's been too long, and you deserve it for your resilience and perseverance.

Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:04am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

This is a pretty historic night.

Why ?

Because Scotland will start tonight's match with two, I repeat, two strikers up front for the first time in about twenty or so years !

I'm feeling a wee bit faint.

And I know it's only a friendly but I have a feeling that Wales will sneak a 1-0 win against England tonight.

As an England fan we outclassed wales with virtually a reserve team. Grealish was superb. Dcl was immense up front
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:04am
You are so delighted with winning a training match in Wales that you're on an Irish forum gloating to a Scotland fan!

Oh Tommy, Tommy! 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:16am
We could be feeling like Scotland in November 2015 next month. All the 'home nations' qualifying for EURO 2020 and us sat at home. That must've been a right sickener for the Scots that time. 

I expect N.I. to scrape past Slovakia but Scotland to fall short against Serbia. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 29>
  Share Topic