Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other Nations League matches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 29>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:37am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Scots absolutely blessed but suppose Clarke wasn't going to be able to change things overnight. Could have probably done with a run of friendlies

It was a bit messy but we wanted three points and three points is what we got. Clap

Bringing David Marshall back nearly three years after his last cap was a good decision and thank feck he brought on Burke. We also should have got a penalty in the first half.

One very noticeable difference between Clarke and McLeish's teams is that Clarke has given Andy Robertson full freedom to charge up the park, frustratingly McLeish always kept him way back in his own half.

The players definitely seem more happy and motivated now that McLeish (and Grant and McFadden) are now out the road.

Aye, one or two friendlies would have been helpful but we don't have any scheduled this year at all. That's unfortunate because they would have been helpful in introducing Greg Taylor, Liam Kelly, David Turnbull, John Fleck, Liam Henderson, Jack Harper and Lewis Ferguson to international football.

I'm not entirely convinced John McGinn should be a starter, he has too many bombscare moments. And despite never being a big fan of him, Kenny McLean actually played really well.

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm not sure they were blessed, they deserved to win it. Their problems are clear for all to see though! They can bring two decent midfielders off the bench and have to start lads like McKenna and Brophy elsewhere.

We're snookered up front for the moment. We need McBurnie to come back from injury and get a confidence boosting first Scotland goal and we need a young player like Fraser Hornby to start getting some games next season on loan somewhere.

I just have a feeling that Scott McKenna will improve with age. He certainly was more calm and confident with Chas Mulgrew beside him than he was in the past with Bates or Souttar.

Oh, and before I forget, that was a win in his first game for new Scotland coach Steven Reid !

(kilt and massive sporran not pictured)
I hope he does improve as I don’t think he can get worse! I thought he was appalling again last night! Surely Liam Cooper is better than him? Tommy f**king Cooper must be better than him!
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:54pm
Thought the tournament was a success overall topped by the worthy winners.

Would have to consider Portugal one of the red hot favourites for the Euros, no longer a 1 man team with Silva and Guedes sharing the burden now and with Joao Felix widely tipped to be the next superstar and the top clubs chasing Bruno Fernandes there's a mix of golden oldies (Ronaldo, Fonte) and youth in their ranks nowadays.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:13pm
Would agree Portugal are a top top side.

Ruben Dias is a brilliant defender too.

Also good to see the Dutch coming back to form, I thing they're a good CF away from being a top class team.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:17pm
See the video of Ronaldo when Bernardo Silva gets announced as player of the tournament LOL
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:02am

I hope he does improve as I don’t think he can get worse! I thought he was appalling again last night! Surely Liam Cooper is better than him? Tommy f**king Cooper must be better than him!

I didn't think Scott McKenna was that bad to be honest. 

Steve Clarke has said that he does want to try out Liam Cooper and Stuart Findlay in central defence at some point, however the complete lack of friendly matches for us this year is problematic. I'm only going by highlights of Leeds games but Cooper does appear a bit error prone, his concentration seems to wander a bit.

Ryan Porteous is one promising central defender for the future although he does seem very susceptible to injuries. We'll need to see how Liam Lindsay does for Barnsley (or Brescia) next season and if he does well he can be considered too. Craig Halkett is one I'd be keeping an eye on too, he did really well for Livingston last season and has just moved to Hearts.

Up front we badly need Leigh Griffiths back. I have no idea what is going on with him and won't speculate but the TA will give him a massive cheer when he does return. He would really work well with Ryan Fraser, getting onto his crosses and passes into the box. Ryan Christie is another who we need back in the No. 10 role he is good at.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 4:47pm
I thought he was awful. That chance that Cyprus made in the first half was all down to him, the one Marshall saved with his feet. He could have claimed an assist. I actually forgot about Lindsay, I always thought Celtic should have signed him. He is a decent defender.

I don't think Christie should be starting for Scotland, I don't think he should be starting for Celtic either. He has great attitude and energy, but he is someway off the level needed. Armstrong should always be ahead of him.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:12pm

I thought he was awful. That chance that Cyprus made in the first half was all down to him, the one Marshall saved with his feet. He could have claimed an assist. I actually forgot about Lindsay, I always thought Celtic should have signed him. He is a decent defender.

I don't think Christie should be starting for Scotland, I don't think he should be starting for Celtic either. He has great attitude and energy, but he is someway off the level needed. Armstrong should always be ahead of him.

Your a very hard man to please PM LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm
Not really. I think Scotland have better players than him and Celtic need better players than him. As fans it is easy to like and appreciate his attitude and work, but you need more than that.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:49pm
Gigg's making an absolute balls of the Welsh job. I never get why countries go for someone who has never managed.We had our own stan disaster. It's the ultimate job for someone with lots of experience.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Gigg's making an absolute balls of the Welsh job. I never get why countries go for someone who has never managed.We had our own stan disaster. It's the ultimate job for someone with lots of experience.
 I only watched the second-half, but Bale missed an absolute sitter at 0-0. Hungary battered them after that though.
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:09pm
I would hate to have to play Wales in a play off, sick of the sight of them.....would sooner take Bosnia or Turkey
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:12pm
The Welsh Steve Staunton as I said many moons ago
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:32am
The Nations League has been a great success. Holland have gone from muck to a top tier team again and these vital games will have been a big help in shaping the team for a tilt at Euro 2020. 

Portugal looked very impressive, they bored their way through Euro2016 and v Spain aside weren't much better at the World Cup. 

UEFA a great bunch of lads Clap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

The Nations League has been a great success. Holland have gone from muck to a top tier team again and these vital games will have been a big help in shaping the team for a tilt at Euro 2020. 

Portugal looked very impressive, they bored their way through Euro2016 and v Spain aside weren't much better at the World Cup. 

UEFA a great bunch of lads Clap
They should keep it separate from the Euros though. The NL itself has been brilliant, but these Euros are farcical.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:42pm
Listening to Giggs post match interview this morning,he said they lost to both Hungary and Croatia because they gave them too much respect.I felt the opposite.They seemed to be too open in both games. His first step should be being solid and defensively sound. He's going in there with a Man U 90's attitude of we should be rolling over all these teams, when he's managing a middle tier nation with a small population who need maximum organisation to compete, even if they have some very good players at the moment.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:50pm
They were very open last night. That Welsh team is best suited to counter attacking football. I think Giggs May be out of his depth a little bit.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:31pm
What's happened to the competition?

There was a rave about the new format last time round now it appears no one gives a f**k about it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

What's happened to the competition?

There was a rave about the new format last time round now it appears no one gives a f**k about it.

Its happening in a weird time just before the season starts after a really shiet pre season for most leagues.   

Its flat as players are tired and not fully fit. Also the lack of crowds does not help 

Edited by Baldrick - 06 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 29>
  Share Topic