FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poland V Ireland match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poland V Ireland match thread
    Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They had all the ball after we scored.

Yeah of course.
The old Ireland tactic. Concede territory and possession once we score, then be disappointed when the other team equalizes. And repeat.

We need to keep the 0-0 mentality when we score. There’s something to fight for when we are 1-0 up. Not defend at all costs!

I assume other teams are the same right? It's not just us that are serial 1-0 up bottlers right?
Sponsored Links

inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Yeah of course.
The old Ireland tactic. Concede territory and possession once we score, then be disappointed when the other team equalizes. And repeat.

We need to keep the 0-0 mentality when we score. There’s something to fight for when we are 1-0 up. Not defend at all costs!
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

im putting out my own statistic of 55-45. There ive done it now. It cant be undone.

Trap Junior reply imminent 
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 3:15pm
im putting out my own statistic of 55-45. There ive done it now. It cant be undone.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:37pm
Flashscore has it 66 / 34 to Poland also.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:20pm

Yeah of course.

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:02pm
i only remember them have a long spell of possession in the last 10 mins. Apart from that it seemed fairly even. More even that those stats suggest  anyway.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:59pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:53pm
At half time it was 51-49 in possession according to Sky Sports. Was the second half that bad?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:53pm
I'd say in the 2nd half poland dominated possession, in the 1st half it was much more even.
We're decent enough..
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:46pm
ate those bbc stats correct? I dont remember it been a 66 to 34 possesion type game for poland. Defo didnt seem like it.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I was away for these two games and wasn't able to get to watch them. So only saw highlights aswell as relying on reports from here & else where. The stats for this game are still the same from an Ireland progressive, a third of the possession and a third on the changes compared to the opposition. I know the result was far better & there was some individual performances from the fringe players to be happy with but still a lot to be desired.

Yep that exactly what you see in the majority of MON's Ireland games.  30 something possession, 2 shots on target. 6 or 8 shots on target from the opposition.  To win with those stats you have to be clinical as f**k in front of goal and then hope the opposition aren't clinical or hope your keeper has a great performance.  Its not sustainable to any degree. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:23am
I was away for these two games and wasn't able to get to watch them. So only saw highlights aswell as relying on reports from here & else where. The stats for this game are still the same from an Ireland prospective, a third of the possession and a third of the changes compared to the opposition. I know the result was far better & there was some individual performances from the fringe players to be happy with but still a lot to be desired.

Edited by darman28 - 14 Sep 2018 at 11:51am
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Weeblywee Weeblywee wrote:

Christie has as much ball control as Linford Christie had on his

You were delighted with yourself when you thought of that weren't you Embarrassed
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 8:57pm
It can take him four to five touches to get the ball under control, even from a simple pass, which proves his Irishness to any doubters!
The last player I saw to reach a decent level with such dreadful ball control was Alan O' Brien.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 2:17pm
Positive performance given the utter muck played in Cardiff, but it comes with the caveat of all results & performances in friendly games. A recent one that springs to mind was Uruguay a few days before Austria at home, where we passed the ball around & looked like a proper team, only to look like lads that never played football before a few days later V Austria in the game that mattered. 

I really don't know what the Poles were at, either they are piss poor, or they weren't trying a leg, or maybe a bit of both, they did have a desperate WC. Either way, it was a game lacking intensity or pressing, but we'll take whatever we can get at the moment. 

Keogh played well, but I'd be very wary of him on the right of a back 3, he got destroyed in that position in the game in the USA last year V Mexico and (I think) hasn't played for us since then. I'm not sure a friendly where the opposition didn't target him much answers the question of whether he can play there & get away with it. 

Williams is tidy, he shows for the ball, takes good options, appreciates the value of possession, has a good awareness of where people are around him and doesn't try too much fancy stuff above his ability level. I like this fella and so what if he is 31, he can either play or he can't, and by the looks of things, he has taken to international football a lot quicker than Browne or Hourihane (who still looks completely lost). I think Williams himself appreciates his late chance in the international game & that shouldn't be underestimated either. 

O'Brien played like a lad who thought it might be his first & last ever game, never stopped trying & took his goal well, that's about all we can ask for, I'd prefer to see him V Wales or Denmark than the now pedestrian Walters. Ya never know, he could be our version of someone like David Healy, someone who scores regularly at international level and looks average enough at club level. His attitude is right anyway, and that's a start. 

Hopefully O'Dowda can kick on & play like he did in the first 20 mins of 2nd half all the time, he has the ability and given our lack of creative players, he will likely have the responsibility to go with it over the next few years. That responsibility overwhelmed a far more experienced McGeady in the past, but O'Dowda's young enough not to give a fcuk at the moment, so it might work in his favour. I think it's one MON has got right, he has a bit more freedom in the centre where he can drift across to support the wide players or go on one of his runs through the middle. A work in progress, and it won't come off for him every day, but at the minute, one of our key players if we are to attack & create chances. 

Others- Hendrick, ah who knows really, another performance that is typical of him in last while, a few good things, missing in action for large chunks of the game, substituted. Egan had a few decent passes out from the back, not sure if he is accomplished enough to get those right against better teams under pressure. Long was solid without suggesting he's much of an upgrade on anyone else we have. Stevens did well, and I think LB will be between him & D Williams, Ward was already being phased out, and that's before whattsappgate. 

Christie's first touch is awful, but his direct running can cause problems for both teams, the opposition because of his strength, and us when he loses the ball miles up the pitch. Takes on too much and seems to believe in an ability that isn't really there. A bit like McClean in some ways. Robinson was a bit lost too, maybe more suited to a wide position than centrally, though he was decent V Wales & tried hard. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:43pm
Catchig up with this bit by bit online, but from what I’ve seen so far I think the three best players are Keogh, Williams, and Egan. Egan in particular has been a real asset at the back. He’s much better on the ball than any of our other CBs.

Wonder if he can play with Duffy in a two, or if Duffy can play in a three with him and another. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

It was a reasonably good performance but it was a friendly and Poland were utterly wank.

Only thing I've read into it is that O'Brien looked promising, took his goal really well and that O'Dowda is a very skilful lad who should be in the first XI next month.  Stevens at left back did himself no harm at all and certainly ain't any worse than Ward (lest I be accused of Rovers bias), Stevens has earned his chance in how he has been a regular at Pompey/Sheffield United the last three seasons.

Still reckon we'll lose the two games at Lansdowne unless there's a seismic change in the style of play and team selection and organisation.

If we retreat into having 30% or 35% possession for the two home games and relying on the long ball and free kicks and corners, we can throw our hat at it. Virtually no national side in Europe plays like that, not even lower ranked teams who have never qualified for a tournament.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic