You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ronan Curtis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:18pm
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:30pm
Well the fact him and his partner are due a baby in September and have suffered two miscarriages this season I'm not surprised they'd rather stay in Portsmouth next season given his partner is from the area.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Ligue 1 interest likely to be rejected for, surprise surprise, family reasons.

Is football more important than family HH? 

It's possible to balance the two leaving aside the fact that it's a brief career and your thirties are still childbearing years.

People speak English pretty much everywhere, there are English speaking facilities for people who don't want to learn a new language, and clubs bend over backwards to make it easier for players and their families when they arrive from new countries.

I mean it's not like he'd be moving continents. You can drive from England to France.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:00pm

It's possible to balance the two leaving aside the fact that it's a brief career and your thirties are still childbearing years.

People speak English pretty much everywhere, there are English speaking facilities for people who don't want to learn a new language, and clubs bend over backwards to make it easier for players and their families when they arrive from new countries.

I mean it's not like he'd be moving continents. You can drive from England to France.

You can choose to stop digging at any time.
Where there's a partner suffering all manner of trauma, that can be seen as a good time.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:06pm
Curtis's situation is just a microcosm of a broader issue among Irish players where they generally don't countenance playing anywhere outside the UK, Australia or America when they leave Ireland.

Meanwhile you have lads from Scotland playing in Serie A now (Hickey, Henderson) after their ambition paid off; Hickey is currently linked with Arsenal among other teams. You also have Ryan Gauld achieving more in Portugal than he ever would if he limited his outlook to Britain.

Similarly with Welsh lads you have Ethan Ampadu playing in Serie A and others boosting their profiles by expanding their scope to clubs in Belgium and Netherlands.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 18 May 2022 at 3:09pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:09pm

Curtis's situation is just a microcosm of a broader issue among Irish players where they generally don't countenance playing anywhere outside the UK, Australia or America when they leave Ireland.

What a load of sh*te. It's obvious his family is his main concern here. 
And I've said it before, please show me evidence of all of these offers that Irish players are turning down from the continent. 

Edited by Borussia - 18 May 2022 at 3:09pm
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 3:30pm

A French company offer you a job with attractive terms tomorrow, say 20% increase in salary

Would you move? I'm guessing not
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

A French company offer you a job with attractive terms tomorrow, say 20% increase in salary

Can Ligue 1 clubs pay more than Portsmouth? I would doubt that
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Can Ligue 1 clubs pay more than Portsmouth? I would doubt that

Of course they can! Hes only on £3,700 p/w there.

Average salaries of the sides currently near the bottom of Ligue 1 are double that, some even triple. His current wage is in line with those mid table of Ligue 2.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 11:03am
I’m more surprised a L1 side want him 😂
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 1:07pm
Tbf to Hotlips he has a point about players not just Irish but it can apply to Scottish Welsh and NI lads too spreading their wings a bit. 

Even look at Johansson Garcia McNulty Ryan Nolan and John Patrick Finn  the Irish lads raised on the continent and look how straightforward it is for them to move to another country with a different culture as such seemlessly compared to our home based lads.

Curtis situation is obviously extreme as outlined above and the Ligue 1 link I'd believe before I see it. 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 2:14pm
If Curtis has any real ambitions about getting back in the Ireland squad he at the very least needs to move up to the Championship.
He's not going to improve by staying in League 1, & pretty much all the League 1 players getting called up ahead of him are all moving up anyway, and there's more young players starting to come through too. So it's only getting harder to get in (fortunately for us).
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Tbf to Hotlips he has a point about players not just Irish but it can apply to Scottish Welsh and NI lads too spreading their wings a bit. 

Even look at Johansson Garcia McNulty Ryan Nolan and John Patrick Finn  the Irish lads raised on the continent and look how straightforward it is for them to move to another country with a different culture as such seemlessly compared to our home based lads.

Curtis situation is obviously extreme as outlined above and the Ligue 1 link I'd believe before I see it. 

Again, where do we have proof that Irish lads are turning down moves to European clubs?
It's no secret that European clubs haven't been paying too much attention to underage players in Ireland maybe up until recently.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Again, where do we have proof that Irish lads are turning down moves to European clubs?
It's no secret that European clubs haven't been paying too much attention to underage players in Ireland maybe up until recently.

The 4 lads mentioned above for a start literally why I mentioned them to make the point. Brady was linked with Serie A and Turkish clubs last summer yet was "holding out" for a PL move. One off the top of my head. I do see the point your making but your logic is seemingly British and Irish players don't go continental because no one else happens to want them and they are some different species hopeless at football compared to every other country in Europe. 

The reason they didn't pay too much attention to them up until recently is because they probably knew it was pointless. British and Irish players have a reputation for not going beyond Britain and up until Brexit it was no doubt pissing against the wind for them. Brexit has made it easier for them to entice Irish players over. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 9:40pm
On the bench at Portsmouth, one league goal scored, and the club apparently happy to let him go, though the manager has just been sacked.

Turning 27 in March, his profile has taken a right nosedive over the last twelve months to the point that it's hard to see a Championship club taking any interest in him unless something drastically changes or Portsmouth go up direct from League One (unlikely given their recent form).

And he turned down interest from Ligue 1 clubs this time last year!

Fair to say, it's important to strike while the iron is hot. Hasn't really built on his first couple of seasons and Ireland debut at all.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 05 Jan 2023 at 9:40pm
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:25pm
he’s crap 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:26pm
This fella was never any good. I don't believe Ligue One or Championship links for a second. Must have the same agent as Jeff Hendrick, famously linked with AC Milan a couple of years back.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 10:51pm
Looked fairly poor any time he played for Ireland. Seems to wind up a lot of people as well, both opposition fans and his own team's supporters. I don't think he has any real international future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
  Share Topic