You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ronan Curtis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:16am
Maybe he thinks he's got better stats than Ogbene which he may have and at the same level. But Ogbene made an impact in two matches. Can't remember Curtis ever making one. 

Curtis should have pressed on after decent seasons at Portsmouth. He should have progressed to another level and improved as a footballer. He hasn't. Control what you can control yourself pal. 
Sponsored Links

darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:31pm
Got two late goals for Portsmouth last night, to get them into the next round of the EFL trophy. He is now Portsmouth's top goal scorer in the 21st century with 45 goals, which was Yakubu before him.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:27pm
Turned down a move to France to stay with Portsmouth at the start of the season!

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:41pm
No where good enough to be playing international football. League One Is his level I think.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:38am
Yeah I might be cynical too, but I don't think he's international standard. With the players we have who have come through recently and the ones on the way, I don't think we see Curtis in an international squad again.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:13am
Wonder whose advising him and does he have an agent. Would have been a free agent in 2020 and got himself a move to better club but signed a new deal instead and then Portsmouth failed to get promoted.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/sport/720466/record-breaking-ronan-curtis-wants-ireland-recall.html

Doesn't beat around the bush when talking about wanting to get back into the national team.

"I have broken the record now and I’m doing well for my club and if Stephen can’t see that, I don’t know what else I’ve got to do,” he stated. “I’ll just keep my head down and keep working hard and keep doing what I can do at club level and we’ll see what happens.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:46am
Didn't he turn down a move to Ostersunds FK also in 2017 when he was destined to leave Derry? Worth pointing out that a chap called Graham Potter was the Ostersunds manager at the time. 

I don't want to make too many assumptions about the guy but this is at least the second time in his career he has turned down a move further into Europe which may have been marked down as a progressive move. I know he was born in England and maybe he has familial ties there that make it a more comfortable place to live. Without knowing a while pile about his background, I know, for example, that Chris Coleman is his godfather. 

As I said, I don't know the full story about either failed move but it feels like his prolonged stay at League One, which may be marked down as stagnant, could have been avoided. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:57am
Yeah Potter wanted to sign him when he was leaving Derry but a month later Potter was on the move himself to Swansea.

Apologies just noticed you said 2017. Yeah think both clubs had agreed a fee but Curtis decided to stay with Derry instead. Potter was still interested in him but the player signed with Portsmouth, and then a month later Potter was Swansea manager.

Edited by J89 - 18 Jan 2022 at 11:01am
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Wonder whose advising him and does he have an agent. Would have been a free agent in 2020 and got himself a move to better club but signed a new deal instead and then Portsmouth failed to get promoted.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/sport/720466/record-breaking-ronan-curtis-wants-ireland-recall.html

Doesn't beat around the bush when talking about wanting to get back into the national team.

"I have broken the record now and I’m doing well for my club and if Stephen can’t see that, I don’t know what else I’ve got to do,” he stated. “I’ll just keep my head down and keep working hard and keep doing what I can do at club level and we’ll see what happens.

And is the same agent telling him its a good idea to call out your national team manager for not picking you?
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Has 7 senior international caps for ireland and winner of the ireland u21 player of the year in 2018.

Still only 25 so can still improve. I'd have him over horgan and ogbene. 

Ogbene? That's harsh IMO. I think he's overachieved for us so far and looks like he could fill in in several positions. Horgan fair enough. He just doesn't have enough in his locker to impact a game for any more than 20 minutes at a time.

I don't think Curtis has been as bad as people say. He's been profligate (which Irish striker hasn't) but he's looked incisive enough at points. Just needs to move on from Portsmouth and prove he can impact games at a higher level on a sustained basis.

He might earn a few more caps yet if he rediscovers his ambition and avoid the trap of falling into Eunan O'Kane/Jonny Hayes levels of international obscurity. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm

Has 7 senior international caps for ireland and winner of the ireland u21 player of the year in 2018.

LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:15pm

Curtis over Ogbene? Seriously f**k off.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Curtis over Ogbene? Seriously f**k off.
I know LOL

Curtis doesn't even make the first team for Portsmouth tonight. Overrated
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:44pm
Left Foot i really cant understand ur constant putting down of Ogbene!! he’s been very good for us in his appearances thus far.. prob our standout performer these last few games!!
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm

& Ogbene is 24 doing better & will further improve also. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:51pm
Is it a co-incidence that the poster's name is "Left Foot"? That seems to be all that Curtis has. Is the poster actually Curtis? 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
Curtis isn’t left footed. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:05pm

Ogbene showed more in those 10 minutes when he got on against Hungary than Curtis has in an Ireland jersey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
  Share Topic