Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ronan Curtis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Rubbish! 

Dundalk would hold their own in L1 but that's about it. Everyone else would get bashed. 
Would agree with that. 
Fair play to Curtis, great to see him doing well.
 Ian Holloway described him as the “EFL find of the season” at the weekend, before getting the sh*ts and having to leave the EFL show 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:06pm
Yeah, but that is the point really! They were an outlier rather than the norm. A lot of people say they were the greatest Irish club side of all time.

This isn't me knocking the LOI, before I'm accused of it, it is the thing I miss most about home, but an honest assessment of how I would see it. The standard at the bottom of L2 is atrocious and I would still expect most, if not all, teams in the division to finish higher than nearly all LOI sides over a hypothetical season.

scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm not sure they would, they probably would do ok in L2. Their star players haven't really set the EFL alight, to the point where two of them have ended up in Scotland.
LOI fans are always massively delusional about the standard, basing it solely on the top team or teams while dismissing the top teams in other leagues. It is quite bizarre.
Wasnt long ago you were propping up the steps of Turners Cross so just because youve gone missing from games dont be bashing it. City, Dundalk and Rovers would be well able for League 1. May not top the table but would hold our own!
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:18pm

Yeah, but that is the point really! They were an outlier rather than the norm. A lot of people say they were the greatest Irish club side of all time.

This isn't me knocking the LOI, before I'm accused of it, it is the thing I miss most about home, but an honest assessment of how I would see it. The standard at the bottom of L2 is atrocious and I would still expect most, if not all, teams in the division to finish higher than nearly all LOI sides over a hypothetical season.

Madness! Pure madenss!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:22pm
And I still follow it from over here. City and Shams would struggle to stay in the league. Just because you support and like something doesn't mean you shouldn't appraise it fairly.
The standard of the FAI cup semi-final on Sunday was non-league, for example.

There will be players who can use the LOI to relaunch their careers at a higher level after losing their appetite for the game in England, but they will be exceptions and not the normality.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:24pm
Anyway... Back to Curtis! I'm sure he will be in and around the squad next time.
He was unlucky not to get a chance against Poland but I feel that they didn't want to 'reward' him too much for being suspended for the 21s. He will get his chance soon though.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:29pm

One thing that stands to him in England is his physique. He seems quite a powerful lad and they appreciate that type down over there. His progress so far is fantastic. Hopefully his form keeps up. 
El Puto Amo
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:37pm
Lads, he's gone! Southgate has been onto him in the last few weeks
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:38pm

And I still follow it from over here. City and Shams would struggle to stay in the league. Just because you support and like something doesn't mean you shouldn't appraise it fairly.

There will be players who can use the LOI to relaunch their careers at a higher level after losing their appetite for the game in England, but they will be exceptions and not the normality.

The standard of one game? You get sh*t La Liga games too as you do EPL. Im not looking at this as a supporter but per pay cheque domestic based players are under rated and under paid. CCFC and Rovers would do well in League One. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Lads, he's gone! Southgate has been onto him in the last few weeks

LOL
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
Curtis could be a better option than Burke who isn’t getting much game time at the side sitting bottom in the Championship.
5678 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Curtis could be a better option than Burke who isn’t getting much game time at the side sitting bottom in the Championship.

Definitely.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

The standard of one game? You get sh*t La Liga games too as you do EPL. Im not looking at this as a supporter but per pay cheque domestic based players are under rated and under paid. CCFC and Rovers would do well in League One. 
I said as an example. I still watch the league as much as I can and City on any platform available.
I disagree, I think they would struggle to get twenty points between them in L1. I think LOI fans have a recent history of overinflating how good the league is.
From what I can gather, a lot of players are overpaid. Payment in football is only relevant to income coming in.

Genuine question here, do you not find it strange that despite the fact that there are EFL scouts at nearly every LOI game and the vast majority o players on short-term contracts, that very few are offered anything by English clubs?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm
Curtis should be in with a shout alright. Interesting that his goalscoring record has been far superior in L1 than it was over a few seasons in the LOI. That may hint that he's just in an excellent run of form and it won't last, but hopefully not.
We're decent enough..
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:12pm
He is not going to get a call up if Long, Robinson, Hogan, O'Brien, Maguire are fit... Burke would be ahead of him too. If McGoldrick can stay injury free then he will be called up too.
The only way is up
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:56pm
the next dave mooney

Edited by Citizen - 03 Oct 2018 at 5:56pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Both are very limited options international football wise but thankfully both have the scope to improve greatly
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 4:16pm
Curtis has been added to the squad for the Wales game 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
  Share Topic