Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [52.17%]
11 [47.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Away Goals Rule
    Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:22pm
UEFA are to discuss the away goals rule in European competition and the possibility of scrapping it 
Was listening to radio 5 earlier and; rather surprisingly, all three pundits were in favour of keeping it as it is 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Sep 2018 at 11:22pm
Sponsored Links

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:28pm
Who were the pundits, out of interest?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:38pm
Stephen Warnock, Jason Burt from the Telegraph and the BBC commentator John Murray 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:40pm
Hate this rule and always have. Will be glad to see it go.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 05 Sep 2018 at 11:40pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:46am
Votes for Away goals should count double.

I voted to keep it, if corner counts were another tie-breaker I would vote  to keep that aswell.

The tie-breakers are for teams level on match/game goals after alot of play. Outscore the opponent is a very good way to avoid tie-breakers.

The tie-breakers try and reflect what went on in the  game and put barriers to avoid reaching the Penalty Shoot-out because the shoot-out is not seen as reflecting what went on in the match.
The shoot-out replaced drawing of lots and toss of coin.  These obvious games of chance to determine a winner has contaminated the shoot-out. Where the Athlete may not control their own destiny by applying any practiced skill, certainly over the first 5 kicks luck/fate is applied to the spectrum of kickers.
If the attitude to the shoot-out can change where it is not seen as a lottery, then it should follow the attitude of tie-breakers would also change.

The tie-breaker is a critical point for separation but eventually, not on kick off.  Observers count far too early, inside the last ten minutes of normal time of the 2nd leg is ample to calculate what more is needed to progress or bring extra-time.

Away Goals as one of the tie-breakers in one off cup games may be  considered unfair by the home team.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

UEFA are to discuss the away goals rule in European competition and the possibility of scrapping it 
Was listening to radio 5 earlier and; rather surprisingly, all three pundits were in favour of keeping it as it is 
UEFA have set up a discussion group - Maureen, Wenger, Ancelotti, Allegri, Fonseca, Tuchel and Lopetegui are on it.

Rumours that if the teams are level after two legs they will enter the UEFA Nations League are untrue.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:08am
Should be far more penalty shoot-outs if it is scrapped so almost for that reason alone I'd be in favour.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:16am
The away goals rule is deadly.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Yes I miss the days behind the Iron Curtain with concrete stadiums, fog and mist, dodgy refs, unpronounceable Slavic names, armed soldiers around the pitch, Kevin Keegan getting beaten up by guards in Belgrade airport, losing 2-0 away winning 3-0 at home, Sportsnight on BBC1.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes I miss the days behind the Iron Curtain with concrete stadiums, fog and mist, dodgy refs, unpronounceable Slavic names, armed soldiers around the pitch, Kevin Keegan getting beaten up by guards in Belgrade airport, losing 2-0 away winning 3-0 at home, Sportsnight on BBC1.

Hmm marvellous wasn't it?

Related image

Edited by Trap junior - 06 Sep 2018 at 11:35am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

You must be enjoying that free transport bud Wink
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 12:43pm
I wish.

Long, long way to go yet.

When I was a nipper I was always allowed stay up late to watch Match of the Day, The Sweeney, Sportsnight, Hawaii 5-0 etc 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 5:30pm
You had me until it involved Keegan being beaten up.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 12:16pm
I was all for scrapping the away goals rule but this thread makes a lot of sense..

I’ve seen that UEFA are looking to scrap the away goals rule. I think this is a bad idea; despite being a bit of an anachronism, it makes two-legged knockout football more interesting. Here’s why! 

First, let’s reject the idea that the AGR encourages goalless first legs. First legs in the knockout stages have been 0-0 draws 10% of the time. This is the same rate of 0-0s as in group matches between teams who finish 1st and 2nd in their groups (9.6%).

So there’s no evidence that first legs are disproportionately 0-0 draws. And while the away goals rule is a tiebreaker in the group stages, it’s rarely if ever referred to as a factor when teams set up to play each other.

Second, it’s likely that scrapping the AGR will lead to more extra time and penalties. 52% of 44 matches that were level after 180 minutes were decided by the AGR. It’s hard to know exactly how teams’ behaviour will change, but extra time periods will roughly double.

I personally don’t tend to find extra time that interesting. 13 out of 21 matches that went to extra time were goalless (and, from memory at least, usually pretty boring) and therefore went to penalties. Why would you want more of that?

(Ironically, the away goals rule is actually really effective in extra time. The added benefit the away team gets is counterbalanced by the opposition’s home advantage. I wrote about this a few years ago: https://5addedminutes.com/2013/03/12/extra-time-and-the-away-goals-rule/ …)

But this isn’t even my main point about the benefit of the away goals rule. No, the main benefit is that it introduces something totally different to football: the idea that one goal can turn a defeat into victory, and victory into defeat.

In the vast majority of football matches, a goal can at best turn defeat into a draw, or a draw into a win. But the away goals rule provides dramatic, knife-edge moments that you just don’t get in other league or knockout football.

When Manolas scored *that* third goal for Roma against Barcelona, it didn’t turn a losing situation into a drawn one. It turned it from a losing situation to a winning one. For Barcelona, the opposite. The moment was even *more* electrifying for it.

Why was Eidur Gudjohnsen’s miss against Liverpool in 2005 so heart-stopping? Because had he scored, Chelsea were effectively through to the final. Had a goal led to extra time, sure, it would be been thrilling – but not quite the same. The chance was total do-or-die.

And the away goals rule meant Barcelona couldn’t sit on their 5-1 second leg lead against PSG (and I’m sure both teams would have settled for extra time at that point). No, they had to go for it – and because of that they soon produced maybe the greatest UCL knockout moment ever.

I get not everyone will agree with this argument. But I genuinely believe that scrapping the away goals rule will take something away from two-legged knockout football – even if it’s a rule that you would probably never invent today.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 10:21am
Fair way to settle things last night? Or should it have gone to ET? 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 11:32am
Best rule in the game Clap
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:32pm
Leave it be, modern football is nearly dead anyway , this var sh*te borrowed from the ridiculous sport of rugby crazy offside laws that change every five minutes f**k OFF.give us back football please.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

Leave it be, modern football is nearly dead anyway , this var sh*te borrowed from the ridiculous sport of rugby crazy offside laws that change every five minutes f**k OFF.give us back football please.
Fairly apt username
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic