You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 60>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:13pm
Kerry is a strange one. They have a Kerry Senior Football Championship and a Kerry Senior Club Football Championship.

From what I see both are fairly hotly contested, the main difference being that divisional teams can't play in the Senior Club Championship. The place in Munster goes to the winner of the Senior Championship, unless a division wins the Senior Championship, in which case the place in Munster goes to the winner of the Senior Club Championship, rather than the runners up in the Senior Championship

Edited by Shedite - 20 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 5:39pm
Best thing done in Mayo was group stage. Rarely have meaningless games because the bottom 4 teams in the groups go into relegation playoffs. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:10pm
Sigerson final on TG4 YouTube. UCC up by 3 at half time
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:13pm
UCC were very good, pity so many of them aren't Cork, that UCC team would beat Cork at the moment.

Fitzgibbon Cup final at the weekend now, great chance to complete the treble - Collingwood Cup, Sigerson Cup and Fitzgibon Cup
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:48pm
Reminded me of the Corofin Gweedore game, UCC had more fire power and match winners up front in the likes of Sean O'Se and Clifford. Thought St Mary's would have pushed on with the wind after getting level. Fair play to them in getting to Final after winning it 2 years ago. Extremely small college with no big county stars in their ranks. Rock bar could have been fun later on
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:16pm
Yeah if cork played ucc atm they would lose 
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Kerry is a strange one. They have a Kerry Senior Football Championship and a Kerry Senior Club Football Championship.

From what I see both are fairly hotly contested, the main difference being that divisional teams can't play in the Senior Club Championship. The place in Munster goes to the winner of the Senior Championship, unless a division wins the Senior Championship, in which case the place in Munster goes to the winner of the Senior Club Championship, rather than the runners up in the Senior Championship

I've given up trying to understand the Kerry Championship
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:29am
Out of curiosity, how many club games would county players in each county play?
In Tyrone the players play a good few club games as they demand to do so. 16 team league so they would play a minimum of 10 league games and then every Championship game obviously
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:59am
Galway introduced a group stage last year which I think worked well. Top two progressed to quarter-finals, 3rd place was safe for following season while bottom two entered relegation round robin. Plenty of competitive games across the summer.

However, the club calendar is still at the mercy of the inter-county game. I know Dublin have a superb set-up and run their calendar of games as best they can but even they have to wait until the winter before they finish cause their inter-county team is always in All-Ireland finals. And then there's the knock on effect for the Leinster competition as well.

I see no reason why they can't play AI Semi-Finals and Finals before Christmas. I don't really see the appeal of playing to 3/4 empty Croke Park on St.Patricks Day when that is a public holiday as well.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Galway introduced a group stage last year which I think worked well. Top two progressed to quarter-finals, 3rd place was safe for following season while bottom two entered relegation round robin. Plenty of competitive games across the summer.

However, the club calendar is still at the mercy of the inter-county game. I know Dublin have a superb set-up and run their calendar of games as best they can but even they have to wait until the winter before they finish cause their inter-county team is always in All-Ireland finals. And then there's the knock on effect for the Leinster competition as well.

I see no reason why they can't play AI Semi-Finals and Finals before Christmas. I don't really see the appeal of playing to 3/4 empty Croke Park on St.Patricks Day when that is a public holiday as well.
That's something that definitely needs looking at. Should all be finished in the calendar year. The timing of the Sigerson needs to be changed too
Some people just deserve a slap
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:22pm
Agreed. Finish club championship in December. It's crazy stretching it to march. If they want gaa on paddy's day then play a league match double header. 1 hurling and the other football. 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:01pm
1 Niall Morgan Éadan na dTorc

2 Liam Rafferty An Gallbhaile

3 Ronan McNamee Achadh Uí Aráin

4 Michael McKernan Oileán a’Ghuail

5 Tiernan McCann Coill an Chlochair

6 Pádraig Hampsey Oileán a’Ghuail

7 Ben McDonnell Aireagal Chiaráin

8 Brian Kennedy Doire Lochain

9 Richard Donnelly Trí Leac

10 Matthew Donnelly Trí Leac

11 Niall Sludden An Droim Mhór

12 Frank Burns Cabhán a’Chaortainn

13 Cathal McShane E. R. Uí Néill

14 Peter Harte Aireagal Chiaráin

15 Kieran McGeary Cabhán a’Chaortainn

16 Benny Gallen Achadh Uí Aráin

17 Lee Brennan Trí Leac

18 Rory Brennan Trí Leac

19 Michael Cassidy Ard Bó

20 Kyle Coney Ard Bó

21 Connor McAliskey Cluain Eo

22 Declan McClure Cluain Eo

23 Aidan McCrory Aireagal Chiaráin

24 Hugh Pat McGeary Cabhán a’Chaortainn

25 Ciaran McLaughlin An Ómaigh

26 Conor Meyler An Ómaigh

Tyrone team named v Monaghan tomorrow night. Only 3 ‘out and out’ forwards in the 26. Everyone of the front six actually named on the starting team are arguably better as midfielders or defenders. Not very confident even if it is only Monaghan
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:29pm
"Only Monaghan". Ouch LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

"Only Monaghan". Ouch LOL
Nah..poor effort from Boggy in fairness. A struggle to even give a 1/10. 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 2:02pm
Guilty as charged LOL
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:16pm
They changed the rule to allow other sports to be played in any county ground venue. Great news and about time.

They voted to keep Dublin playing 2 super 8 matches in Croker. I know the money they make goes by and large back to the grass routes but they shouldn't be prioritising revenue over fairness. 

They threw funds at Dublin for over a decade hoping they'd win all Irelands and boost attendances but ironically attendances were higher back when the likes of westmeath and ofally could beat the Dubs. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

They changed the rule to allow other sports to be played in any county ground venue. Great news and about time.

They voted to keep Dublin playing 2 super 8 matches in Croker. I know the money they make goes by and large back to the grass routes but they shouldn't be prioritising revenue over fairness. 

They threw funds at Dublin for over a decade hoping they'd win all Irelands and boost attendances but ironically attendances were higher back when the likes of westmeath and ofally could beat the Dubs. 
Westmeath have beating Dublin in the 2000's but I'd say you've got to go back a long way to when Offaly beat Dublin. Maybe you're thinking of Laois or Meath

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 23 Feb 2019 at 7:32pm
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 8:24pm
Monaghan terrible here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 60>
  Share Topic