You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA football 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 60>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:55am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

"the number of teams registered to play games in 2018 stood at 20,873, that’s 403 full teams more than in 2017 and 736 more than in 2016, an increase over 24 months of 3.6 per cent."

That's from the GAA report. Grass routes is at an all time high and this will keep growing year after year.
Trust the GAA! While everybody else takes the roads and footpaths, they sneak in through the grass routes.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Harney the f**king eejit probably cost Ros the win. Free in front of the posts changed to a throw in ball 

It was idiotic what he did but a lot of ref's would have let it go.Was a handy free to kick over as well.

After an excellent first half ,we were very wasteful in the second and only scored once.Not good enough at this level.

A point against Tyrone isnt a bad result and it was very good to see we able for the physical side of their game.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Cork v Meath - Meath
Armagh v Tipp - Armagh
Donegal v Fermanagh - Fermanagh
Kildare v Clare - Clare

Dublin v Mayo - Mayo
Tyrone v Monaghan - Monaghan
Galway v Kerry - Galway
Cavan v Roscommon - Cavan

Impossible to call all of these but that's where my money is going. 
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

Monaghan to win by 5.

Don't quit the day job.
What do you make of Tuam?

The stadium or the Town? LOL

If you referring to Stadium, then I have very strong opinions on it. Amongst extremely deluded people within the North West of Galway, Tuam Stadium is the spiritual home of Galway football. Spiritual in the sense that it stopped hosting Championship matches after 2001 and the rich vein of history the ground has. (it once held an All-Ireland Semi-Final back in the 1940's etc. etc.)

However, the ground was never a fortress. Galway only managed to win half of their championship encounters in Tuam in the 80's and 90's. Even if the Leitrim team of the mid-90's were a better outfit than Galway were at the time, they still managed to win back-to-back Championship games there. Much was made of the fact that in 1997, Mayo won in Tuam for the first time in a generation. When you take into account that venues alternated between Castlebar, Tuam and Salthill in that time period in games between the two, and the fact that Mayo, arguably were the 3rd best team in Connacht between the 60's and late 80's, the stat wasn't at all that impressive. Certainly not in my eyes anyways. And their win there in 99 was exacerbated by the fact we were reigning All-Ireland champions at the time.

I've heard many a time from Mayo fans that they prefer Tuam, that it's a great venue etc. Why wouldn't they? It's a much shorter journey to Tuam than it is to Salthill! And some locals are never shy of sharing that opinion around. Yet the locals are fair more concerned with what their neighbours might say instead of what their fellow county supporter living West of Galway City has to contend with when travelling to Tuam. As long as the "Shams" have a few hundred yards to walk down the road and not have to worry about parking or traffic etc. then all is well. There is a huuuge sense of entitlement with a majority of football fans living in North Galway, a lot of stemming from past glories.

Not all of these locals are that deluded, there's a local group doing great work raising funds to refurbish the ground. They have reasonable expectations. The work they're doing is admirable, but they've given locals in the area wild notions of the old days coming back of Connacht Finals and Galway winning etc.

To quote Dara O'Briain, "nostalgia is just heroin for old people"
Both i suppose!! Will be there in a few weeks might head up the Gilmartin road heard that's a lovely place worth visiting!😂Was only ever in the Gaa ground once a few weeks back just had a look in there was no game taking place! For a lot of Mayo people Tuam would be a lot easier to get to than Castlebar so not really surprised they like going there! Not a fan of Salthill myself they should leave the Hurling games in Ballinasloe.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Feb 2019 at 1:25pm
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:46pm

Cork v Meath - Meath
Armagh v Tipp - Armagh
Kildare v Clare - Clare

Dublin v Mayo - Mayo
Galway v Kerry - Galway

I can see us having a few of the experience players back for fermanagh game. We play them in 1st round of ulster so both teams be looking at laying down a marker for the summer, add in the Tory Gallagher factor and its an interesting match up

If playing in ballybofey id fancy us but the fact that it's letterkenny I wouldn't be as confident. Don't know why the county board insists on playing their as our record is brutal their only won 2 games in over 10 years their
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:42pm

Cork v Meath - Meath
Armagh v Tipp - Armagh
Kildare v Clare - Clare

Dublin v Mayo - Mayo
Galway v Kerry - Galway

not a fear of Galway beating Kerry imo
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

"the number of teams registered to play games in 2018 stood at 20,873, that’s 403 full teams more than in 2017 and 736 more than in 2016, an increase over 24 months of 3.6 per cent."

That's from the GAA report. Grass routes is at an all time high and this will keep growing year after year.
Trust the GAA! While everybody else takes the roads and footpaths, they sneak in through the grass routes.

i was tempted to try resin myself but i took the grass route 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Harney the f**king eejit probably cost Ros the win. Free in front of the posts changed to a throw in ball 

It was idiotic what he did but a lot of ref's would have let it go.Was a handy free to kick over as well.

After an excellent first half ,we were very wasteful in the second and only scored once.Not good enough at this level.

A point against Tyrone isnt a bad result and it was very good to see we able for the physical side of their game.

What did he actually do
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:02pm
Roscommon won a free in on the 21 right in front of goal and apparently (I didn't see this bit) Morgan kneed the player sneakily when he was on the ground. Harney ran in and barged Morgan who fell to the ground and ref changed it to a hop ball

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 11 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm
Yup thats it RB.I think most ref's would let it go but he consulted the umpires and then gave a hop ball.

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Yup thats it RB.I think most ref's would let it go but he consulted the umpires and then gave a hop ball.

should get 3 months for it Clap
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Roscommon won a free in on the 21 right in front of goal and apparently (I didn't see this bit) Morgan kneed the player sneakily when he was on the ground. Harney ran in and barged Morgan who fell to the ground and ref changed it to a hop ball
Valuable lesson for the lad. Better off learning this lesson in the league and not championship. 
What's the story with PUC.  Any matches on it this weekend or next? 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:40pm
Very sad to hear of the death of John Morrison. By all accounts, a great coach and was hugely respected by all of his players here in Mayo. Sadly, we only had the one year from himself and Mickey, but a wonderful year it was.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Very sad to hear of the death of John Morrison. By all accounts, a great coach and was hugely respected by all of his players here in Mayo. Sadly, we only had the one year from himself and Mickey, but a wonderful year it was.

Very sad news. Was in college at the time he was joint manager of Leitrim along with Mickey and lived with two lads on the panel who always spoke highly of him and his training techniques. Has huge respect throughout the game which only reinforces what a great coach/manager he was. 
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:05pm
David Brady getting some abuse on twitter over the Gweedore post
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Cassidy gave him some response LOL wasn't much need for the tweet from Brady either considering everything gweedore avhieved this year they were  simply beaten by a better team yesterday 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

Deserves every bit of it. Contrary prick.
@AntrimMan85
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 1:33pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 60>
  Share Topic