You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sean McDermott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean McDermott
    Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
Must be the first player to represent us at senior level who is named after one of the country's founding fathers!

In all seriousness, what kind of level is the Norwegian league? Is it much better than the LOI for example, outside of Rosenbourg?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

In all seriousness, what kind of level is the Norwegian league? Is it much better than the LOI for example, outside of Rosenbourg?

It is currently ranked 29th on the UEFA coefficients ranking table - one place behind Kazakstan's Premier League and only two places ahead of Liechtenstein's top division. So the short answer to your question would appear to be: it's a fairly sh*te standard.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:43pm
Gerry Rogers surely has reason to be annoyed.
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Gerry Rogers surely has reason to be annoyed.

Who??? You in the right thread?
Ask MaGee
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:32pm
Most likely means 37 years old Gary Rogers of Dundalk. Honestly, our goalkeeping choices are plummeting no end. We'd be better off calling up Caoimhín Kelleher or someone like that than someone who has absolutely no future in the Irish squad. 

As for McDermott, well the level of the League of Ireland is as good if not better than the Norwegian league in general. I have never seen him play but I doubt a goalie from a mid table Norwegian league team is any better than a goalie from our own league.

Edited by grannyrule - 28 Aug 2018 at 2:37pm
The only way is up
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Most likely means 37 years old Gary Rogers of Dundalk. Honestly, our goalkeeping choices are plummeting no end. We'd be better off calling up Caoimhín Kelleher or someone like that than someone who has absolutely no future in the Irish squad. 

As for McDermott, well the level of the League of Ireland is as good if not better than the Norwegian league in general. I have never seen him play but I doubt a goalie from a mid table Norwegian league team is any better than a goalie from our own league.

Rosenberg v Cork??
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:19pm
LOL People's opinions of the LOI are miles from reality.

Edited by pre Madonna - 28 Aug 2018 at 4:00pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:21pm
no the standard of the Norwegian league would overall be higher than the LOI. the facilities are light years better than anything we have. Obvisouly Rosenborg are the big name. Its irrelevant that he plays in Norway, if hes good enough then that's all that matters. We need to get away from the mindset that its England or nowhere.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:26pm
Based a quick twitter search (and translate) the Norwegian fans aren't exactly blown away by Sean to say the least. Another body to make up the numbers is more like it. 
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Rosenberg v Cork??

ODD played Rovers a few years ago too, I think the aggregate score was 4-1 to them. I might be forgetting a few results, but Rosenborg have been a few times over the last 15 years and ODD as well, and have all won comfortably.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:19pm
Rosenborg did not beat the Town easily - it went to ET!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:50pm
Well deserved call up for him, at least he's one dual-eligible player we'll probably keep a hold of.
We're decent enough..
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL People's opinions of the LOI are miles from reality.

I do not think the League of Ireland is of a high level by any means. However, McDermott's club Kristiansund would by no means be far ahead of some of the better League of Ireland clubs.

Edited by grannyrule - 28 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
The only way is up
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 6:34am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Based a quick twitter search (and translate) the Norwegian fans aren't exactly blown away by Sean to say the least. Another body to make up the numbers is more like it. 

Well he got Kristiansand player of the year so he is obviously well thought of at his club.

I have spoken to a few Norwegian work colleagues about him and they say he he a decent enough keeper and was a big part of Kristiansand finishing mid table last season after gaining promotion the year before.

Kristiansand wouldn't be the biggest of clubs it would like Bristol City for example getting promoted and finishing 10th in the league.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
I think MON is entitled to call him in and have a closer look. The way some of ye are talking u'd swear he has been anointed as our number 1 keeper for next 10 years!
It's not me it's you:-)
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:15pm
I do hope we cap Kieran O'Hara, at least tie him down and lets not have to deal with Grealish mark III in two years time. 

As an LOI fan I see no issue with McDermott being called up. Id much rather a 25 year old from a mid table Norweigen side get called up than a 37 year old keeper from Cork City or Dundalk. There is no keeper in the LOI at the minute deserving of a call up. We need to nail down O'Hara.
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 1:47pm
I'd rather see Caoimhin Kelleher ahead of these lads.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic