You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Honestly, if you don’t understand the motivation for people within the 32 countries to play for Ireland, I don’t think you’ll understand the idea of a French-Algerian playing for Algeria.
Johansson is as Swedish or Luxemburgese (word?) as he is Irish. Except he/his parents evidently weren't sufficiently concerned to get his Irishness sorted until he started getting good at football.

Tough, but there ya go, them's the rules.

By harking back to the pre-2004 model, you are unwittingly proving my point. This new interpretation of the rules runs against the greater trend of smaller counties being able/keen to cap diaspora players.
This is not an "interpretation" of the rules, "new" or otherwise, it is an application of the existing rule, as it was written, and to give effect to the intention behind its original drafting.

Which was why I mentioned the Kearns case - that was another example of a literal interpretation of a rule to fulfil its intended purpose.

But while you want the benefit of the Kearns ruling, you're not prepared to accept the ruling over Johansson.

And why?

Because he's Irish?

(Actually, he appears to be maybe a quarter Irish. With a quarter English. And another quarter Swedish, and the last bit of him Luxemburger.)

I expect Johansson to be one of many cases which eventually leads to a change in the rules (with pressure from bodies in Africa and Asia).
Good luck with that one, then.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:11pm
Time to move to rest of the world thread?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 2:33pm
I'm gonna incite rage for re-igniting this but in light of the talk about the proposed rule changes, I just thought I'd update the thread.

So, what do we know?
Simply, Ryan played for Lux U21 and had no Irish passport at that time, so is not available to play for us.
He can play for Sweden as he held a Swedish password at the time.
Case closed.

But the new rules have this section (copied from a FIFA doc, I believe):

A request to change association may be granted only in the following circumstances:

b) the player:

i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at any level (with the exception of “A”
international level) in any kind of football for his current association;

ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official competition in any kind of
football for his current association, he did not hold the nationality of the association which
he wishes to represent;

iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official competition in any kind of
football for his current association, he had not turned 21 years old; and

iv) meets any of the requirements provided in article 6 or article 7.

So, from my interpretation, these proposed rules work exactly in his favour and had the existed at the time, it would have been a straightforward switch.

I'd say the issue now is, assuming he has submitted his Swedish papers, is that case-closed again?

Again, apologies but there's feck all football on the telly so why not debate this stuff Embarrassed

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:03pm
Its a good shout Fozz, I think you've probably researched this more than most... do you have a link to the FIFA doc for others to look at? 

Its really difficult to say if Ryan could still switch and I feel we'll only know when and if Ryan has his people look into it.

Hes a very good player from a small amount I've seen of him and would be great to have in the team 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:29pm
Here's the link:

We'll know more after Sept 18 if this passes or even before then if Ryan lines out for the Sweden U21 team next week (is he in that squad I wonder?) which would put this to bed finally (if it isn't already).

My interpretation is that if he did indeed file his Sweden papers, that is that but another appeal by him may find a more sympathetic response.
That's risky tho and is a further rebuff to Sweden which is his current choice.

I feel bad for him as he seemed to have his heart set on playing for us, and to have the rules change a year later to allow that is a kick in the teeth.

EDIT - Oh to add...even if he was allowed to swap and did so, he'd not be eligible to line out for any Ireland team until Oct '21....a 3-year lapse after his last competitive game for Lux.
He'd be 20 years old then.

Edited by Fozz - 29 Aug 2020 at 3:31pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 7:12am
Nope, he's not in their latest squad 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:37am
Is this the first thread that was moved to the RoW section and can be moved back to the RoI section!? Wacko

He's linking up with the U21's in Marbella in a few weeks (if he is fit) so seems appropriate it's moved back...or will we wait until we actually see the lad in Green first as who knows what can happen.

Also, if that 3-year rule applies, he won't be able to play competitively for us until after Oct 16th (we have 4 matches in Sept and Oct, all prior to this date - two versus Luxembourg!), as he played for Lux U21's on Oct 16, 2018 so would not be available for the start of the next U21s campaign.  He's been out injured for ages as I understand it and we have some strong contenders in the midfield in that squad, so he has his work cut out to break into the team unless he starts playing games for Seville next season.
Interesting to see how this develops.

Edited by Fozz - 12 May 2021 at 8:39am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Is this the first thread that was moved to the RoW section and can be moved back to the RoI section!? Wacko

He's linking up with the U21's in Marbella in a few weeks (if he is fit) so seems appropriate it's moved back...or will we wait until we actually see the lad in Green first as who knows what can happen.

Also, if that 3-year rule applies, he won't be able to play competitively for us until after Oct 16th (we have 4 matches in Sept and Oct, all prior to this date - two versus Luxembourg!), as he played for Lux U21's on Oct 16, 2018 so would not be available for the start of the next U21s campaign.  He's been out injured for ages as I understand it and we have some strong contenders in the midfield in that squad, so he has his work cut out to break into the team unless he starts playing games for Seville next season.

I'd wait until the player actually says something himself, rather than some spoofer on the internet.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I expect Johansson to be one of many cases which eventually leads to a change in the rules (with pressure from bodies in Africa and Asia).

This aged well Pinch
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:08pm
Welcome back RyanClap
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:27pm
A fifa rule change in which we see an actual benefit

The system works... terms and conditions apply.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say I think this guy will be a very good player for us. 

If we can get Liam Delap on board too we'll be set.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:55pm

This aged well Pinch
LOLLOLLOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:01pm

Just to clarify on this, Ryan won't be affected by the three year rule. That only comes into play when a player has senior caps for another country, which he doesn't.

Once he gets FIFA clearance for the switch to us he's good to go. If he already has FIFA clearance he can play for us right away.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:09pm

This aged well Pinch

I was right about something! Clap
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:25pm
Does anyone know how good he really is. Seen him once in preseason and he looked OK but wasn't anything to be drooling over. He is 20 now which is youngish not really that young for a midfielder or to put it another way, he he was that good then maybe you would expect him already knocking on the door and getting game time with the first team
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Does anyone know how good he really is. Seen him once in preseason and he looked OK but wasn't anything to be drooling over. He is 20 now which is youngish not really that young for a midfielder or to put it another way, he he was that good then maybe you would expect him already knocking on the door and getting game time with the first team

I think he's knocking on the door of first team football with Saville, he's suffered a really bad hamstring injury which has kept him out since  October last year I believe.

He's technically very good from what I've seen, he has a continental surname and his hair is floppy and cute like an 80s Italian international.

I mean, what more do you want here.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

So, he looked OK to me whenever I’ve seen him play. A bit laid back but also I think all those games were friendlies
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:42pm
Hopefully scores the winner against Luxembourg in the return game.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 41>
  Share Topic