You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:49am
Off to Fortuna Sittard on loan for the season. Not a bad move at all for him.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:55am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'm confused - This forum had him starting in midfield for Sevilla!

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:59am
He is on the level of Barry Maguire and Jack Byrne as things stand so. Hard to get carried away yet.

Edited by grannyrule - 13 Aug 2021 at 11:00am
The only way is up
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:01am
Well, unless Fortuna finish stone last in the Eredivisie, he's already ahead of Byrne.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

He is on the level of Barry Maguire and Jack Byrne as things stand so. Hard to get carried away yet.

Maguire last played at that level ten years ago, and Byrne five years ago. Compare this senior team to the senior team that went to Euro 16. I'd still have Wes Hoolahan in midfield ahead of lads and he's turning 40.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:51am
A year of first team football in the Dutch league is ideal for him now at his age.  I wish some of our young Engliah based players would follow him 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Ah, I see why you're confused, so johansson has had a good pre season with Sevilla and they seem to rate him highly. So it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he would have seen some first team football with them over the course of the season. Maybe a cup competition etc.

However, for his development they maybe see it that he would be better off getting regular minutes on loan and built from there. This is seen as common practice for younger players.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Ah, I see why you're confused, so johansson has had a good pre season with Sevilla and they seem to rate him highly. So it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he would have seen some first team football with them over the course of the season. Maybe a cup competition etc.

However, for his development they maybe see it that he would be better off getting regular minutes on loan and built from there. This is seen as common practice for younger players.

No this forum didn’t have him starting for Sevilla. I doubt anyone commented on this thread more then me and I was positive and said it’s a good sign hes handy in the squad at pre season. 

I generally said if he can get some games off the bench or Cup games for Sevilla it would be magic but Sevilla love their loan moves and tend to actively use them for their younger players hence you may will see him loaned up to play regularly and learn his trade. 

He was signed to a long long term contract until 2026 so clearly Sevilla do see him as a long term project and one that they are hopeful might develop and eventually play in their first team. Doesn’t mean he will or won’t who knows what way he will go but this is a good move for him to learn his trade at a decent level.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

A year of first team football in the Dutch league is ideal for him now at his age.  I wish some of our young Engliah based players would follow him 

Ya on the face of things it looks like a great move right now for him. Big league but with a smaller team so he should see decent gametime. Id love to play in the dutch league...if only i was a professional footballer tho!!
I love beer gardens
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm
I was being fairly tongue in cheek with my comment.
I think it's a good move for him - Players need to be playing and you'd hope he would be starting every week at Fortuna which will hopefully allow him to develop. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that if her performs well there he could be in the senior squad if we have friendlies in March of next year. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 2:28pm
Where would we rate the Dutch league compared to the leagues in England which we're more familar with?

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 3:14pm

I think it's a good move for him - Players need to be playing and you'd hope he would be starting every week at Fortuna which will hopefully allow him to develop. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that if her performs well there he could be in the senior squad if we have friendlies in March of next year. 

Given our lack of midfield options and our lack of quality in that area, if he hits the ground running I would not be at all surprised if he got called up for the October games.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 3:45pm
He'll be playing against some of Europe's top teams Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord etc.

For perspective, we'll likely be selecting Horgan (who's been good for us) and he'll be facing the likes of Burton and Doncaster.

I'm being a little bit facetious in selecting those league 1 teams but I think you get the point.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Where would we rate the Dutch league compared to the leagues in England which we're more familar with?

Difficult to compare a top division league in a smaller country with leagues in a bigger country like England, but it's probably fair to say that the Eredivisie would contain a mix of Premier League, Championship and League 1 level teams. Fortuna are a mid table side so probably similar in standard to a mid rank Championship team like QPR, Reading or Middlesbrough.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 9:45pm
For perspecitve...fortuna finished 20 points behind a team that struggled to beat a team currently 7th in the league of ireland. Dont know where some posters are going comparing them to a chamionship side.  Good for Johannson getting games under his belt hopefully, particularly after a long lay off with injury.  

Dutch league has  been a sh*t show for irish players, of the three  most recent two are currently without a club (Kelly and Crowley) and Jack Byrne had to come back to Ireland to lick his wounds and rebuild his career.  Johannson on a different trajectory to them as trying to make it in Spain rather than England, so a loan to the Netherlands better suits him.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

For perspecitve...fortuna finished 20 points behind a team that struggled to beat a team currently 7th in the league of ireland. Dont know where some posters are going comparing them to a chamionship side.  Good for Johannson getting games under his belt hopefully, particularly after a long lay off with injury.  

Dutch league has  been a sh*t show for irish players, of the three  most recent two are currently without a club (Kelly and Crowley) and Jack Byrne had to come back to Ireland to lick his wounds and rebuild his career.  Johannson on a different trajectory to them as trying to make it in Spain rather than England, so a loan to the Netherlands better suits him.

Bit of a strange thing to say the dutch league has been a sh*tshow for our players, two of the three players you mentioned had successful spells in Dutch football, it was their return to English football that was the problem. Granted it was a massive flop for Liam Kelly.

If he is playing mens football week in, week out against teams with international players then I don't see how it can be viewed as a bad thing. Certainly better than making the odd substitute appearance for Seville I would think.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:14pm
Probably only fair to point out that the Dutch team is in pre season and the League of Ireland team is half way through their season if making that comparison. Realistically if Fortuna were in the LOI Premier they'd win it by 20 points.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 11:06am

No worries. It’s the fact they have him tied down to such a long term contract gives it away to me that clearly they view him as a long term prospect that hopefully will be a first teamer in time at Sevilla. Its a decent move will play football at a decent level now and hopefully develop a bit more. He made some positive steps in pre season.

Our midfield squad options are so wide open it’s frightening such a lack of senior depth/question marks over senior players and an awful lot of promising young midfielders. If Johansson performs will he will find himself in a senior squad for a friendly or even international games in the next 10-12 months for sure. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
  Share Topic