You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan Johansson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 41>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:44pm
One thing is for sure, he qualifies as an excellent young prospect for us because he joins the rest of them on the long-term treatment table.
We've lost a lot of development time with a slew of young lads and this lad joins the fold and joins that group.
Off the top if my head I am thinking Obafemi, Idah, Connolly, Parrott (been good since Xmas), Smallbone, Cassidy, Hodge, Grant....I am sure there's a few more.

We can but hope this is an aberration and we'll revert to the mean when it comes to injuries...and results for that matter!
Sponsored Links

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Does anyone know how good he really is. Seen him once in preseason and he looked OK but wasn't anything to be drooling over. He is 20 now which is youngish not really that young for a midfielder or to put it another way, he he was that good then maybe you would expect him already knocking on the door and getting game time with the first team

I think he's knocking on the door of first team football with Saville, he's suffered a really bad hamstring injury which has kept him out since  October last year I believe.

He's technically very good from what I've seen, he has a continental surname and his hair is floppy and cute like an 80s Italian international.

I mean, what more do you want here.

Don't think Jim Will Fix It has a football team.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Does anyone know how good he really is. Seen him once in preseason and he looked OK but wasn't anything to be drooling over. He is 20 now which is youngish not really that young for a midfielder or to put it another way, he he was that good then maybe you would expect him already knocking on the door and getting game time with the first team

I think he's knocking on the door of first team football with Saville, he's suffered a really bad hamstring injury which has kept him out since  October last year I believe.

He's technically very good from what I've seen, he has a continental surname and his hair is floppy and cute like an 80s Italian international.

I mean, what more do you want here.

Don't think Jim Will Fix It has a football team.

Advantage Sausy... Well played Sausy... well played. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Is this the first thread that was moved to the RoW section and can be moved back to the RoI section!? Wacko

He's linking up with the U21's in Marbella in a few weeks (if he is fit) so seems appropriate it's moved back...or will we wait until we actually see the lad in Green first as who knows what can happen.

Also, if that 3-year rule applies, he won't be able to play competitively for us until after Oct 16th (we have 4 matches in Sept and Oct, all prior to this date - two versus Luxembourg!), as he played for Lux U21's on Oct 16, 2018 so would not be available for the start of the next U21s campaign.  He's been out injured for ages as I understand it and we have some strong contenders in the midfield in that squad, so he has his work cut out to break into the team unless he starts playing games for Seville next season.
Interesting to see how this develops.

Just to clarify on this, Ryan won't be affected by the three year rule. That only comes into play when a player has senior caps for another country, which he doesn't.

Once he gets FIFA clearance for the switch to us he's good to go. If he already has FIFA clearance he can play for us right away.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he needs clearance to play for the U21's? In Dan McDonnells article he says Ryan's father is in possession of correspondence from fifa confirming Ryan can pursue the switch to ireland. I presume the formalities must be completed to allow him to be selected for the seniors in due course? 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:54pm
Surprised it worked out for Eire but excited it did. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 6:09pm
Didnt he say he was going to declare for Sweden a while back. I seen hes at Seville now. I haven't been following him...where is he there? Is he anywhere near the 1st team? Anyone know
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Is this the first thread that was moved to the RoW section and can be moved back to the RoI section!? Wacko

He's linking up with the U21's in Marbella in a few weeks (if he is fit) so seems appropriate it's moved back...or will we wait until we actually see the lad in Green first as who knows what can happen.

Also, if that 3-year rule applies, he won't be able to play competitively for us until after Oct 16th (we have 4 matches in Sept and Oct, all prior to this date - two versus Luxembourg!), as he played for Lux U21's on Oct 16, 2018 so would not be available for the start of the next U21s campaign.  He's been out injured for ages as I understand it and we have some strong contenders in the midfield in that squad, so he has his work cut out to break into the team unless he starts playing games for Seville next season.
Interesting to see how this develops.

Just to clarify on this, Ryan won't be affected by the three year rule. That only comes into play when a player has senior caps for another country, which he doesn't.

Once he gets FIFA clearance for the switch to us he's good to go. If he already has FIFA clearance he can play for us right away.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he needs clearance to play for the U21's? In Dan McDonnells article he says Ryan's father is in possession of correspondence from fifa confirming Ryan can pursue the switch to ireland. I presume the formalities must be completed to allow him to be selected for the seniors in due course? 

Because he played competitively for Luxembourg he needs clearance to play competitive games for Ireland at any level, including Under 21. It's not entirely clear whether all the paperwork is finalised or whether FIFA are just saying that it will be fine subject to the paperwork being formally approved, but either way it looks good.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Didnt he say he was going to declare for Sweden a while back. I seen hes at Seville now. I haven't been following him...where is he there? Is he anywhere near the 1st team? Anyone know

He was going to declare for Sweden after he was told he couldn't play for Ireland, which was fair enough. At that point he was ineligible for us so went with his second choice. Now that the rules have changed and he is eligible he has gone back to his first choice - Ireland. He deserves credit for doing that I think.

He was playing with Seville seconds earlier in the season then, like most Irish underage players this year, he got injured. Hard to know where he stands in relation to the first team but they've given him a very long contract so they must see some potential in him.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:59pm
Yeah, it's odd he didn't move on getting the paperwork for Sweden submitted.
Why wait?
Makes me wonder....FIFA must have known for a while there were big eligibility changes afoot so maybe he got word and just sat on his hands until that was sorted even after the appeal failed.
And now he's getting back fit and (I assume) has his Irish passport, he's decided now's the time to get the Ireland change sorted once and for all.

Whether he turns out to ever play for us at senior level or not, it's promising a lad who was in all three camps and valued has picked us.

Like many of our young lads who've been ravaged by injury, here's hoping next season is injury free and we'll get a much better idea of his potential.  And if he's good, he'll be a boost for the U21's bid for a first every finals.

It's been a good few days for the young lads for sure...much needed after a dour season all told.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:22pm

He was going to declare for Sweden after he was told he couldn't play for Ireland, which was fair enough. At that point he was ineligible for us so went with his second choice. Now that the rules have changed and he is eligible he has gone back to his first choice - Ireland. He deserves credit for doing that I think.

He was playing with Seville seconds earlier in the season then, like most Irish underage players this year, he got injured. Hard to know where he stands in relation to the first team but they've given him a very long contract so they must see some potential in him.

Ok i see. Hopefully he comes good so. Might be 4 or 5 years before some of our hopefuls start to get going.
I love beer gardens
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:26pm

Ok i see. Hopefully he comes good so. Might be 4 or 5 years before some of our hopefuls start to get going.

I wonder was part of the Sweden talk a sort of two fingers from him to Luxembourg after the fuss they kicked up on him declaring for us. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 11:55pm

Whatever about getting going to hit their peak yes it will. It’s important to preach patience the lads aged 20-22 will be only hit their peak then which is mid to late 20s thats before you include the likes of the lads 18,19. Especially the young attackers. Take many of our more senior top flight/high level Championship senior players now Egan Mcgoldrick Randolph Hourihane Stevens Robinson Doherty Duffy even Cullen if you like they were all from what I see playing League 1 or League 2 football around their early 20s. 

March 2023 is the start of the Euros qualifying campaign and it’s not to say some of these lads won’t kick on between now and then. Kelleher O’Shea Collins Knight Scully Taylor McNamara all players who have kicked on immensely. That’s two years away that’s a long time in football especially for young players. This time last year we thought we were laughing it looked very promising for example. 

Idah is the one that will be very very interesting next year. I want to see him get a loan where he will play every week. Of Obafemi Connolly himself Parrott if there’s an out and out striker Mitrovic Pukki Bamford even a Glenn Murray Troy Deeney Ivan Toney type striker/goalscorer of them it’s him for sure. Has the potential and attributes to develop into that. Would be very interested to see how many he would score playing regularly next year at a decent Championship club. 

Edited by kevin100 - 13 May 2021 at 12:01am
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:24pm
Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:39pm
Nice interview with Ryan. Among other things, he said:

"For me it was a no brainer.  Ireland was where my heart wanted to go.  I want to play in World Cups and European Championships.  Anything is possible with the talent coming through the Irish system right now.  I think Ireland can do some amazing things and hopefully win some trophies."

Happy to have you aboard, Ryan.  Best of luck!
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

"For me it was a no brainer.  Ireland was where my heart wanted to go.  I want to play in World Cups and European Championships.  Anything is possible with the talent coming through the Irish system right now.  I think Ireland can do some amazing things and hopefully win some trophies."

'In a report in the Luxemburger Wort newspaper today, Johansson, who moved to Sevilla from Bayern Munich in January, said that he was looking forward to representing the Scandinavian country.

"I received my Swedish passport. It feels good. And I decided to play for the Swedish national team. I think that's the right decision.

"My dream is to play in a big tournament, preferably at a World Cup. I also like the style of the Swedish national team," he said.'

Less than a year ago, our very own Jack Grealish
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:35pm

He needs to stay off the crack pipe.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He needs to stay off the crack pipe.

LOLLOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

'In a report in the Luxemburger Wort newspaper today, Johansson, who moved to Sevilla from Bayern Munich in January, said that he was looking forward to representing the Scandinavian country.

"I received my Swedish passport. It feels good. And I decided to play for the Swedish national team. I think that's the right decision.

"My dream is to play in a big tournament, preferably at a World Cup. I also like the style of the Swedish national team," he said.'

Less than a year ago, our very own Jack Grealish

He was ineligible for Ireland at the time though, with no prospect of that situation changing at that stage. So not really anything like the Grealish situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 41>
  Share Topic