You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Abroad 2018/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 12:49pm
A few weeks ago, I was asked on twitter if the number of Irish players has dropped across all four divisions in England. It took a little while to get the data together, and it's bad news. Apart from a short bump in numbers in the four seasons after Euro 2012, the numbers of players appearing in league football, it's been a consistent downward slide in participation since 2008-09.

Full details here: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=3708120446510971757
(graph works best on desktop)
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 12:55pm
I think this has happened in tandem with the League of Ireland getting stronger in recent years.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

A few weeks ago, I was asked on twitter if the number of Irish players has dropped across all four divisions in England. It took a little while to get the data together, and it's bad news. Apart from a short bump in numbers in the four seasons after Euro 2012, the numbers of players appearing in league football, it's been a consistent downward slide in participation since 2008-09.

Well put together as alwaysClap

Depressing reading mind.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Well put together as alwaysClap

Depressing reading mind.

Thanks, it nearly took as long to figure out how to present the data as it did to collect it all!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:23pm
You must look at the content of this as well and consider the amount of 'foreign' players playing for these clubs in the EPL and to a lesser extent the Championship.

I'd say English\Scottish and Welsh players would have a similar pattern.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You must look at the content of this as well and consider the amount of 'foreign' players playing for these clubs in the EPL and to a lesser extent the Championship.

I'd say English\Scottish and Welsh players would have a similar pattern.

Appearance data by nationality is available on premierleague.com
This is a comparison of appearances by Irish, Welsh and Scottish players across the last ten years

Would have thought there was going to be more Welsh players with one/both of Cardiff and Swansea in the division every season
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:51pm
Shows the calibre of player Trap had compared to now!
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:28pm
Yup. Given, Duff, O'Shea and Keane in their pomp, with Kilbane, Finnan,  Reid, Doyle, and a young Whelan and McGeady to call upon, amongst others.

Trap's a bigger villain than O'Neill in many ways.
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:37pm
and weso,what was he thinking not picking him

Edited by Green rebel - 02 Nov 2018 at 8:38pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:41am
I've dug into the numbers for previous seasons, and they make Kerr's reign look worse IMO. across the four Premier League seasons during his tenure (the second half of the 2002/03 season, 2003/04, 2004/05, and the first half of the 2005/06 season) featured 37, 34, 29, and 33 Irish players, respectively, and he still couldn't beat anyone ranked higher than 84th in a competitive game.

FWIW 37 is the most Irish players to appear in the PL in one season (2002/03)
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 10:04am

I've dug into the numbers for previous seasons, and they make Kerr's reign look worse IMO. across the four Premier League seasons during his tenure (the second half of the 2002/03 season, 2003/04, 2004/05, and the first half of the 2005/06 season) featured 37, 34, 29, and 33 Irish players, respectively, and he still couldn't beat anyone ranked higher than 84th in a competitive game.

FWIW 37 is the most Irish players to appear in the PL in one season (2002/03)

Always felt Kerr was very unlucky though. Israel's last minute equaliser was the difference between success and failure.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 12:03pm
Isn't that the same for any manager?

Good v bad always comes down to small margins.

Ultimately, his team under performed when it mattered considering he has the strongest squad since Jack.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:12pm
Two players are shown their fifth yellow card of the season, Seamus Coleman's 25th goal for Everton, Shane Long's first start since September, and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=92639862893316330

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:57pm
The Premier League loan players impressing elsewhere…

BURNLEY: Jimmy Dunne (Hearts)

While Burnley are shipping goals for fun in the bottom reaches of the Premier League, they have a 21-year-old Irish defender playing at centre-back for the current leaders of the Scottish Premiership. Former Manchester United youth player Jimmy Dunne has never even played for the Clarets, but his form for the Edinburgh side has just earned him a first call-up by Martin O’Neill. He is understandably desperate to stay there beyond his current loan spell.

BOURNEMOUTH: Harry Arter (Cardiff City)

You don’t get players like that on loan unless there’s something in their make-up,” said Neil Warnock last month as he despaired at the midfielder’s disciplinary record. “Eddie did warn me, he said he’d get booked in training.” But the truth is that if Cardiff are to stay up this season, they need Arter; no Bluebirds’ player has pulled off more successful tackles than the Irishman despite the fact that he has missed two games.

WEST HAM: Josh Cullen (Charlton)

“He’s better than I was [at that age],” said Charlton boss Lee Bowyer in September of the current Republic of Ireland Under-21 captain. This is Cullen’s third loan spell away from West Ham and it might well be his last; Manuel Pellegrini is going to need a long-term replacement for Mark Noble. “I thought I needed to be playing and he agreed,” said Cullen of his conversation with the Chilean. “I can’t thank him enough for supporting me and making me feel at ease. He told me to go out, enjoy my football and improve and, hopefully, I’ll return to West Ham a better player for him.”

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
Aiden McGeady's first booking of the season, Shaun Williams' 350th appearance in English football, Conor Hourihane's 15th goal for Aston Villa, and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=1840161656715938163

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm
The six Ireland players starting in today's Premier League games is a season high for 2018/19

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:06pm
Four players are shown their first yellow card of the season, Alan Judge's 25th Championship goal, Jay O'Shea's 50th appearance for Bury FC and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=7752811926649340182

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm
Graham Burke's first appearance in two months, Matt Doherty's 15th goal for Wolves, Michael Obafemi's first start in the Premier League, and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=7429677501517239350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic