Poll Question: Who will make the final?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [42.11%]
33 [57.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

They were clearly better than both sides on paper and in the game itself. In fairness, there was only one side that deserved to win in the England v Colombia game.

Yet you'll say a Croatia team that beat 2 poor teams on penalties are favourites for this.

Where does it say that people have to vote with their footballing preference? 

The majority of Irish football fans do not like the England football team, how can there be any argument? I was pretty sure that England would be in the final as soon as I saw the draw, that doesn't mean I won't vote against them in a silly ybig poll.

So you thought England would reach the final from the last 16?

Care to back that up with a post? Fair play if you can. 

Didn’t most people fear that England would make the finals or atleast the semis from when the last sixteen path was confirmed? 

They’ve been bookies favorites for every single game they’ve played since the Belgium match and there is not one team who they could have played who possibly could have started as favorites against them.

Even against Croatia, England are priced at 7/5 vs 12/5. 

Saying that I thought they would make the final from when the last sixteen draw was made is not exactly a hugely impressive or sweeping statement so I don’t think I’d need to back it up with any posts - they’ve been favorites to make the final from that side of the draw from the moment they lost to Belgium. 
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:01am

They were clearly better than both sides on paper and in the game itself. In fairness, there was only one side that deserved to win in the England v Colombia game.

Yet you'll say a Croatia team that beat 2 poor teams on penalties are favourites for this.

The majority of Irish football fans do not like the England football team, how can there be any argument? I was pretty sure that England would be in the final as soon as I saw the draw, that doesn't mean I won't vote against them in a silly ybig poll.

Didn’t most people fear that England would make the finals or atleast the semis from when the last sixteen path was confirmed? 

They’ve been bookies favorites for every single game they’ve played since the Belgium match and there is not one team who they could have played who possibly could have started as favorites against them.

Saying that I thought they would make the final from when the last sixteen draw was made is not exactly a hugely impressive or sweeping statement so I don’t think I’d need to back it up with any posts - they’ve been favorites to make the final from that side of the draw from the moment they lost to Belgium. 

Not in the slighest and I know absolutely no-one who thought England would make the World Cup Final and that includes myself.

So yes I would say it was a sweeping statement to suggest England would make the final.

Have you not read the posts on England on this forum? 90% of them are dismissive of just about everything England and Southgate have done or could do.

Edited by Green Devil - 08 Jul 2018 at 12:03am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:13am
Also, Spain would have been favourites from that side of the draw Thumbs Up
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:17am

Not in the slighest and I know absolutely no-one who thought England would make the World Cup Final and that includes myself.

So yes I would say it was a sweeping statement to suggest England would make the final.

Have you not read the posts on England on this forum? 90% of them are dismissive of just about everything England and Southgate have done or could do.

Logically, on paper atleast - England are better than all of Columbia, Switzerland / Sweden, Russia / Croatia. 

It’s only their history of f*cking it up when they really shouldn’t that has made people think they wouldn’t get to the semi’s at least. 

Should they over come Croatia I can’t help but think there’s been an air of inevitability about it all, as everything has slotted nicely into place for them along the way. 

They were favorites against everyone they’ve played and when playing to potential are better than all of those teams. 

I dislike England as much as any other Irish football fan, but I don’t think it’s a shock that they got to this stage. 

Russia, Sweden or Switzerland getting to the final would be a shock, but a team with Harry Kane in attack and then the likes of Sterling, Alli, Henderson etc, who are all elite level Champions League players reaching a final against average opposition isn’t a huge surprise.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:19am

Logically, on paper atleast - England are better than all of Columbia, Switzerland / Sweden, Russia / Croatia. 

It’s only their history of f*cking it up when they really shouldn’t that has made people think they wouldn’t get to the semi’s at least. 

Should they over come Croatia I can’t help but think there’s been an air of inevitability about it all, as everything has slotted nicely into place for them along the way. 

They were favorites against everyone they’ve played and when playing to potential are better than all of those teams. 

I dislike England as much as any other Irish football fan, but I don’t think it’s a shock that they got to this stage. 

Russia, Sweden or Switzerland getting to the final would be a shock, but a team with Harry Kane in attack and then the likes of Sterling, Alli, Henderson etc, who are all elite level Champions League players reaching a final against average opposition isn’t a huge surprise.
Colombia, Colombia, Colombia, f**king Colombia.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 08 Jul 2018 at 12:20am
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:19am
You said when the last 16 draw was made though and Spain were on England's side of the draw mate.

So why are we including Switzerland in this who only made the last 16 and not Spain Wink

Edited by Green Devil - 08 Jul 2018 at 12:20am

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:22am

You said when the last 16 draw was made though and Spain were on England's side of the draw mate.

So why are we including Switzerland in this who only made the last 16 and not Spain Wink

Fair point I suppose had forgotten about them. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:23am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Colombia, Colombia, Colombia, f**king Colombia.

Did you spell it wrong too and edit it 😉
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 12:25am

Fair point I suppose had forgotten about them. 

Now if Spain weren't on the English side of the draw, Croatia potentially were the one side who I think are at least on a par if not slightly better than England who really could stand in their way of doing something special "but" there wasn't a hope in hell I was predicting that Spain were going to lose to Russia.

If the last 16 started allover again, Spain would still have been my pick to reach the Final from that side.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 1:12am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Croatia were average in their last 2 games. The teams are relatively evenly matched, England maybe have more quality in their starting 11, and certainly more off the bench.

Croatia are after 2 games in a row which went 120 minutes.

I look forward to coming back here after England have won and seeing the poll at 27-5 in favour of Croatia or some such rubbish.
I look forward to such things as drinking pints of Guinness in a dark corner of a pub at 10 o clock in the morning and going home before ****s like you come out.

LOL

Panteira's on the warpath tonight. LOL

Day sessions especially with football on the box will always trump any 'epic' nights out when the local arseholes or stags and hen parties are out. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:25am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I don't really get this post match idea that England were always going to swat Sweden aside today. Sweden knocked the Dutch out in the qualifying group. The Italians out in the play offs. Beat the Mexican team who beat Germany 2-0, 3-0 and topped their world cup group and have very often been a bogey team for England. Today apart from the 3 very good chances they made they were awful. Why they had such a massive drop off in performance is hard to say.They looked very lethargic and lacking in energy right from the kick off.

Sweden's best players are Emil Forsberg, Marcus Berg and Andreas Granqvist, who play for Helsingborgs, Al Ain and Krasnodar FC respectively.  Sweden are an average team who punch above their weight and if the opposition team plays badly they can hurt them.  They're basically an upgraded version of Iceland 2.0.

Just this time England play a lot better than the crap they served up against Iceland in Euro 2016, hence the win today and fair play to them for that.

Yes Sweden knocked out Holland and Italy but those sides are pretty substandard these days, did you not see how terrible Holland were in the recent friendly against England?  Route 1 to Bas Dost? LOL 

Croatia on the other hand have players playing for Real Madrid (x2) Barcelona, Juventus, AC Milan Inter Milan, Liverpool, Monaco, Hoffenheim (3rd in the bundesliga this season).

England are finally playing players who play regularly in the Champions League for the first time in this WC (excluding the Belgium 2nd XI).

This will be a tight game, but IMO its game that suits Croatia far more than the games against Denmark (park the bus) Russia (park the bus), England will be more open and expansive in this game, similar to how Argentina IMO.  This is a 50/50 match.

But on paper Croatia HAVE to be a step up from Sweden and even Colombia.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:17am
Fatigue shouldn’t be a big issue with Croatia as like England, they had the Luxury of resting their first XI in the last group game.

I’d be more worried about their form post the group stages.
They were very patchy in both games. The main positive is they went a goal down in each game and were able to equalise.

England still haven’t been fully tested and they have never been behind in any game. Also I feel this will be the first game where they will have less than 50% possession. Croatia will win the midfield battle.

It’s going to be a close game. If you were to do a combined XI it would be evenly split.

England will be relying on set pieces so Croatia need to ensure they don’t give anything away cheaply.

Both teams will be nervous as it’s a massive opportunity for one of them. 
It should be noted Croatia have also had a kind draw to get to the semi finals.

I think England will sneak it. If they played in the group stage Croatia would probably win it but I feel England will handle the pressure better.
I think we’ll England v Belgium final.

I think some people need to prepare for the worst. Although still an unlikely event, England may just win the World Cup. It would be foolish not to at least have a plan to move to the other side of the planet where they have no internet.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Lads getting worked up because of polls on here. LOL

FFS, I always vote for the underdog. It means f**k all.

Anyway, hope Croatia wipe the floor with the Tan ****s. Soundest fans I met in 2012 Euros.

Much, much, much better looking women too, which is very important

Careful now that PM doesn't get offended and starts reporting posts like this. Like he has done with many others.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Anyway, hope Croatia wipe the floor with the Tan ****s. Soundest fans I met in 2012 Euros.

Careful now that PM doesn't get offended and starts reporting posts like this. Like he has done with many others.
Shocked he a fckin tout horsey ?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:37am
Just easily offended by the looks of it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:30am
it's  coming home lads, it's f**king coming home!

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I won’t be silenced about my love for Balkan women
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Fatigue shouldn’t be a big issue with Croatia as like England, they had the Luxury of resting their first XI in the last group game.

I’d be more worried about their form post the group stages.
They were very patchy in both games. The main positive is they went a goal down in each game and were able to equalise.

England still haven’t been fully tested and they have never been behind in any game. Also I feel this will be the first game where they will have less than 50% possession. Croatia will win the midfield battle.

It’s going to be a close game. If you were to do a combined XI it would be evenly split.

England will be relying on set pieces so Croatia need to ensure they don’t give anything away cheaply.

Both teams will be nervous as it’s a massive opportunity for one of them. 
It should be noted Croatia have also had a kind draw to get to the semi finals.

I think England will sneak it. If they played in the group stage Croatia would probably win it but I feel England will handle the pressure better.
I think we’ll England v Belgium final.

I think some people need to prepare for the worst. Although still an unlikely event, England may just win the World Cup. It would be foolish not to at least have a plan to move to the other side of the planet where they have no internet.

They were behind against Belgium as they lost the game 
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 29>
  Share Topic