Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [42.11%]
33 [57.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:29pm
Watching the Keane v Wright spat last night again and I only just noticed that Neville says to Wright ''do your impression'' (of Roy).  Wright initially ignores him but when Keane starts his rant Wright says ''Final''  ''Final''  in a Cork accent much to Neville's amusement.     Dixon looks on nervously.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:29pm
There was a group of English offended in the pub when we all celebrated Croatia’s two goals last night.

Some woman sat down at our table asking why we didn’t support our neighbours and called me a hypocrite because she assumed I supported a British football team - which I don’t. 

Absolutely delighted for them. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:29pm
Football is full of one sided rivalries though. Ask Fulham fans, to use your own example, what they think of Chelsea and Chelsea fans what they think of Fulham, although the older, less suburban Chelsea fan may still hate them.
You can ask the signs outside local pubs that said "free drinks during Ireland and Scotland games". The lads who add rudimentary references to Irish history during their 'national' anthem, or the fellas who decided to redecorate Lansdowne 23 year's ago.

Personally, I'm not sure who I wanted to win from a wider perspective. I realised that absolutely hating their football team because of the knuckle-dragging element in their support and for Tyldesley and Wright, isn't healthy when I have an English partner getting excited about football for the first time and lefty friends thinking it could unite the country. I couldn't help but smile when seeing old Wrighty though. Roy Keane laying into him was the greatest thing on television since Dunphy on Rod Liddle. The thought of him, for once, makes me smile too.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

England vs Scotland is a proper rivalry, England vs Ireland really only works one way and it's our supporters who see it as a grudge match whereas they wouldn't.

Northern Ireland to me are our main rivals and has the makings of a proper derby, I would class playing England the same as I would with Wales or Scotland at this stage.
Between 1988-91 we were.

We played each other four times.

But I agree apart from that England just consider us little Pixieheads.

If we started qualifying for tournaments on a regular basis and actually ended up drawing them in the odd qualifying group than for sure a "mini rivalry" per say could start to develop again, but we simply don't play them anywhere near enough and right now we're not in a good place footballing wise so it's non existent.

Funninly enough, Wales could now be seen as a direct rival.

There is definitely a bit of tension between Coleman's leg break and then us beating them away in Cardiff, you can see from reading their message board a lot of their fans don't like us too much.
So, we are allowed to dislike West Anglia andnot Anglia?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:35pm
Having any links to England certainly makes you ambivalent to them being beaten, as opposed to actually enjoying it. You'll have pals, and as in PM's case, relationships which make England a more human place than just a country. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Good to know who all the "West Croatians" are on here, or something.

The difference between Irish people who were supporting England and those who weren't, is that those who did support them tend to have a mind of their own, whereas those who supported ABE tend to be unthinking sheep. 

Sid, maybe some of us in the ABE group were attacked as a 12 year old outside Wembley in 1980, abused and intimidated on ferries travelling to away games for years, spat at by a middle aged woman after we equalized in Wembley in 1991, and maybe felt a tad upset over the events at LR in 1995.
Did you go home to Mammy and cry after these things?

No, but thanks for your concern.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

There was a group of English offended in the pub when we all celebrated Croatia’s two goals last night.

Some woman sat down at our table asking why we didn’t support our neighbours and called me a hypocrite because she assumed I supported a British football team - which I don’t. 

Absolutely delighted for them. 
Was it the Nazi in you coming out? Given that Croatia has a very strong Nazi history, and the predominant political tendency in that country is very much of a far-right, "nationalist" tendency. 

Which is code for being racist coonts.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Football is full of one sided rivalries though. Ask Fulham fans, to use your own example, what they think of Chelsea and Chelsea fans what they think of Fulham, although the older, less suburban Chelsea fan may still hate them.
You can ask the signs outside local pubs that said "free drinks during Ireland and Scotland games". The lads who add rudimentary references to Irish history during their 'national' anthem, or the fellas who decided to redecorate Lansdowne 23 year's ago.

Personally, I'm not sure who I wanted to win from a wider perspective. I realised that absolutely hating their football team because of the knuckle-dragging element in their support and for Tyldesley and Wright, isn't healthy when I have an English partner getting excited about football for the first time and lefty friends thinking it could unite the country. I couldn't help but smile when seeing old Wrighty though. Roy Keane laying into him was the greatest thing on television since Dunphy on Rod Liddle. The thought of him, for once, makes me smile too.

No-one is denying that, especially when you factor in many rivalries stemmed from decades back when two sides were fairly evenly matched on the field, but right now we're not even on England's radar as a rival so maybe it's time for our fans to re-evaluate their thinking a tad.

I just find it amusing that an Irish football supporter would jump around his living room, roaring and going mental because Croatia beat England. 

For me personally, seeing us beat San Marino in a qualifier would give me more satisfaction than seeing England lose the World Cup Final on a penalty shootout. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:44pm

Was it the Nazi in you coming out? Given that Croatia has a very strong Nazi history, and the predominant political tendency in that country is very much of a far-right, "nationalist" tendency. 
A very complicated period in fairness, same as what followed in the 90s.

Actually spoke to a Croat last night about this and he didn't really want to discuss it.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:47pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Green Devil<br><div><br></div><div>No-one is denying that, especially when you factor in many rivalries stemmed from decades back when two sides were fairly evenly matched on the field, but right now we're not even on England's radar as a rival so maybe it's time for our fans to re-evaluate their thinking a tad.</div><div><br></div><div>I just find it amusing that an Irish football supporter would jump around his living room, roaring and going mental because Croatia beat England. </div><div><br></div><div>For me personally, seeing us beat San Marino in a qualifier would give me more satisfaction than seeing England lose the World Cup Final on a penalty shootout. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div>[/QUOTE Green Devil

No-one is denying that, especially when you factor in many rivalries stemmed from decades back when two sides were fairly evenly matched on the field, but right now we're not even on England's radar as a rival so maybe it's time for our fans to re-evaluate their thinking a tad.

I just find it amusing that an Irish football supporter would jump around his living room, roaring and going mental because Croatia beat England. 

For me personally, seeing us beat San Marino in a qualifier would give me more satisfaction than seeing England lose the World Cup Final on a penalty shootout. 

[/QUOTE wrote:

Stop talking sense like that.

2018 has been a reminder that plenty of Anglophobia is still around.

Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:47pm

I read a tweet last night from an Irish supporter

"I celebrated England losing to Croatia, as much as I would have celebrated Ireland winning the World Cup because they're our great rivals" or something along those lines.

Even though we're about as relevant to the English football team as Fulham are to Arsenal unfortunately. 

England vs Scotland is a proper rivalry, England vs Ireland really only works one way and it's our supporters who see it as a grudge match whereas they wouldn't.

Northern Ireland to me are our main rivals and has the makings of a proper derby, I would class playing England the same as I would with Wales or Scotland at this stage.
England don't consider Eire as rivals. They don't even think for a moment about them as rivals. Eire are completely irrelevant to England fans. 

Eire fans considering England as "our great rivals" is like Laois fans considering Dublin as "our great rivals". 

Dublin fans don't give Laois a first thought, never mind a second.

Like how the Germans don't care if England win or not. We've got a german office and some of the lads here were shocked that the Germans don't consider them a rival. 
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:47pm
Croatia is a nationalist catholic state only recently independent from its oppressors..........now where did I see that before?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:48pm

Between 1988-91 we were.

If we started qualifying for tournaments on a regular basis and actually ended up drawing them in the odd qualifying group than for sure a "mini rivalry" per say could start to develop again, but we simply don't play them anywhere near enough and right now we're not in a good place footballing wise so it's non existent.

There is definitely a bit of tension between Coleman's leg break and then us beating them away in Cardiff, you can see from reading their message board a lot of their fans don't like us too much.

You're allowed to dislike whoever you wish Big smile

But that isn't the argument, the argument is why do many Irish football fans see England as our great rivals when they don't even see us as any sort of rival at all.

A rivalry should work both ways or atleast even a tiny bit. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:50pm

Between 1988-91 we were.

But that isn't the argument, the argument is why do many Irish football fans see England as our great rivals when they don't even see us as any sort of rival at all.

But England don't have a rival - they rule the waves
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:50pm

Between 1988-91 we were.

id say its more the ENGLISH PEOPLE that irish fans don't like not just their football team tbh.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil<br><div><br></div><div>No-one is denying that, especially when you factor in many rivalries stemmed from decades back when two sides were fairly evenly matched on the field, but right now we're not even on England's radar as a rival so maybe it's time for our fans to re-evaluate their thinking a tad.</div><div><br></div><div>I just find it amusing that an Irish football supporter would jump around his living room, roaring and going mental because Croatia beat England. </div><div><br></div><div>For me personally, seeing us beat San Marino in a qualifier would give me more satisfaction than seeing England lose the World Cup Final on a penalty shootout. </div><div><br></div><div><br></div></td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Stop talking sense like that.</div><div><br></div><div>2018 has been a reminder that plenty of Anglophobia is still around.</div>[/QUOTE Green Devil

[/QUOTE wrote:

Like some idiots would, I just can't seem to use The Famine or when Ireland was under British rule as reasons to hate Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Gareth Southgate etc. 

In purely sporting terms, they're probably the least arrogant and most likeable English side in living memory.

Like some idiots would, I just can't seem to use The Famine or when Ireland was under British rule as reasons to hate Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Gareth Southgate etc. 

In purely sporting terms, they're probably the least arrogant and most likeable English side in living memory.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

id say its more the ENGLISH PEOPLE that irish fans don't like not just their football team tbh.
I'm the opposite.

Ive nothing against the majority of Englanders - great bunch of lads.

But I do fcuking hate their National Football Team and make no apologies for it.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>
  Share Topic