You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are there any potential expansion teams?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are there any potential expansion teams?
    Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:31am
Could you see any teams trying to join the LOI? Have there been rumors of this? I know a lot of these clubs are losing money, but the overall value of the clubs could be increasing due to the increase in foreign investment (granted this value is still probably pretty small). 
Sponsored Links

adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:19am
Carlow/Kilkenny, Kerry, Mayo and Monaghan/Cavan all have teams in the underage divisions of the LOI, so it's possible they have ambitions to have a team in the LOI in the near future.
Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:14pm

Can't see any team looking to join when it cost you more money to just enter the league than you get in prize money(*). Also gotta look who runs those teams like Kerry in the underage, KDL run the Kerry LOI franchise and while it's not worth their while entering a senior team it is worth their while entering the underage teams as it means they keep hold of their players longer and if they move on they'll get a bigger fee and goes straight to the KDL rather than a local club.

* That's going by 2016 season figures, money might have gone up but probably only pennies compared to the cost of running a club.
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

Carlow/Kilkenny, Kerry, Mayo and Monaghan/Cavan all have teams in the underage divisions of the LOI, so it's possible they have ambitions to have a team in the LOI in the near future.

Carlow, linked to the IT, and Kilkenny, who actually play in Kilkenny City, could nearly have their own teams. Then the other 3 would be welcome additions. I would hope the teams who have underage structures would have the ambition to eventually join the league with a senior team. 

Hard to look beyond that at the minute. Whatever it was that got Mayo and Kerry etc in to the underage leagues it would be great if they gave that chance to a few more teams, also with a view of join in the future. Maybe with a Finga team, a Laois team, a Tipp team and a Clare team. Nobody is saying these will get 20,000 through the gates but maybe they'll be viable entities and maybe they'll be able to develop youngsters in the area who want to go down the football route and they'll get a thousand or two through the gate.

What ever happened to the teams that were in the A championship? Tullamore and Mullingar and Carlow? Surely it was their intention to step up? The A league was the right idea, possibly disbanded too soon.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
A Fingal team would be brilliant, surprised nobody hasn't thought of it before.
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:59pm
A Fingal team given a chance to grow in atually Fingal (Like Swords) would be a lot better than a Fingal team playing in Dublin city.

Other than that, great point well made!

Edited by David McWilliams - 28 Jun 2018 at 7:01pm
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Carlow, linked to the IT, and Kilkenny, who actually play in Kilkenny City, could nearly have their own teams. Then the other 3 would be welcome additions. I would hope the teams who have underage structures would have the ambition to eventually join the league with a senior team. 

Hard to look beyond that at the minute. Whatever it was that got Mayo and Kerry etc in to the underage leagues it would be great if they gave that chance to a few more teams, also with a view of join in the future. Maybe with a Finga team, a Laois team, a Tipp team and a Clare team. Nobody is saying these will get 20,000 through the gates but maybe they'll be viable entities and maybe they'll be able to develop youngsters in the area who want to go down the football route and they'll get a thousand or two through the gate.

What ever happened to the teams that were in the A championship? Tullamore and Mullingar and Carlow? Surely it was their intention to step up? The A league was the right idea, possibly disbanded too soon.

The idea of a team representing an entire county is a great one in theory, particularly where football isn't strong, but it can also be a complete failure, a la Kildare County.

Most of the sides that competed in the A Championship have either gone back to their intermediate or junior leagues (aside from Mervue Utd and Satlhill Devon, who themselves went back to junior football after a spell in the LOI). I think Carlow were the only side to disband after the A Championship was abandoned; I think they had an application to join the LOI in 2012 rejected, along with Tralee Dynamos and Cobh Ramblers. We probably won't be seeing Tralee in the LOI anytime soon however; I've read that they've put a stop to their own LOI ambitions after the KDL joined the U17 league.

Having said all that however, it would be much more beneficial for Irish football (in my opinion, anyway) if a pyramid structure was implemented.

Edited by adineen98 - 28 Jun 2018 at 7:36pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 1:25am

Last thing the Loi needs is more clubs, clubs we already have can barely look after themselves. Why introduce more clubs which are gonna be amateur and stock battling it out with Wexford and Athlone at the bottom of the first division. What the league needs is to bring stability to the clubs we already have so we aint talking about which club will get the dreaded * this season. 
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:07am

[/QUOTE]

The only problem with the A Championship was that the highest placed non-league team went into the play-off, rather than having to actually win the league to qualify for the play-off. If the A Championship had of been continued, these clubs could have developed and grown their support enough to be ready to compete in the First Division 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm

The idea of a team representing an entire county is a great one in theory, particularly where football isn't strong, but it can also be a complete failure, a la Kildare County.

Most of the sides that competed in the A Championship have either gone back to their intermediate or junior leagues (aside from Mervue Utd and Satlhill Devon, who themselves went back to junior football after a spell in the LOI). I think Carlow were the only side to disband after the A Championship was abandoned; I think they had an application to join the LOI in 2012 rejected, along with Tralee Dynamos and Cobh Ramblers. We probably won't be seeing Tralee in the LOI anytime soon however; I've read that they've put a stop to their own LOI ambitions after the KDL joined the U17 league.

Having said all that however, it would be much more beneficial for Irish football (in my opinion, anyway) if a pyramid structure was implemented.

I know Kildare County failed, but do you know what caused their demise? 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Can't see any team looking to join when it cost you more money to just enter the league than you get in prize money(*). Also gotta look who runs those teams like Kerry in the underage, KDL run the Kerry LOI franchise and while it's not worth their while entering a senior team it is worth their while entering the underage teams as it means they keep hold of their players longer and if they move on they'll get a bigger fee and goes straight to the KDL rather than a local club.

* That's going by 2016 season figures, money might have gone up but probably only pennies compared to the cost of running a club.

What does it cost to join the league? Obviously in addition to the operational expenses. 
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Apologies, I wasn't directly targeting Kildare County, I was just using them as an example. Maybe "complete failure" was too harsh. 

To be honest with you, I dont know why they failed. Given that they were formed by members of Newbridge Town, I'm assuming it was internal politics was the biggest factor which led Kildare County's demise? 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:02pm

Apologies, I wasn't directly targeting Kildare County, I was just using them as an example. Maybe "complete failure" was too harsh. 

To be honest with you, I dont know why they failed. Given that they were formed by members of Newbridge Town, I'm assuming it was internal politics was the biggest factor which led Kildare County's demise? 

That could make sense. No worries - wasn’t a fan at the time and was curious where they went. 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 10:42pm

The KDL wont be fielding a senior team in the LOI anytime soon as a licence fee would be the 1st problem. Its main priority is providing a system in Kerry in which footballers can play and develop. There is nothing to attract them to apply for a senior licence. 
You are right about Tralee Dynamos putting a halt to their LOI ambitions. They have had a couple of terrible years since and are a shambles and got relegated from our top tier a few weeks ago.  
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 7:59am

What does it cost to join the league? Obviously in addition to the operational expenses. 

The bottom 2 teams in the premier in 2016 received €17,000 and remember someone mentioning that those who finished in those posiions got back the money they paid in (€17,000), that's after the FAI take any money owed for fines so might not get all the prize money.

In that same season the top 2 teams in the first Divison received €30,000 for winning it and €17,500 for coming second.

Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

The KDL wont be fielding a senior team in the LOI anytime soon as a licence fee would be the 1st problem. Its main priority is providing a system in Kerry in which footballers can play and develop. There is nothing to attract them to apply for a senior licence. 
You are right about Tralee Dynamos putting a halt to their LOI ambitions. They have had a couple of terrible years since and are a shambles and got relegated from our top tier a few weeks ago.  

Who'd blame them when the only teams that possibly even make a profit are Dundalk and Cork, which is down to European money and players being sold. They like Cabinteely saw an opening with the youth leagues coming in, that's the only reason Cabinteely entered a senior team was to get into the youth leagues which they knew schoolboy clubs wouldn't be allowed enter. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 8:31am
The only "possibly" viable new team would be a team on the north side of Cork City although it would mean diluting Cork City FCs current support base somewhat, it would create a good local rivalry. But for the foreseeable future I cannot see it being a runner.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:08am
What about Killarney Celtic ?? I hear they are a bit of a big deal !!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The only "possibly" viable new team would be a team on the north side of Cork City although it would mean diluting Cork City FCs current support base somewhat, it would create a good local rivalry. But for the foreseeable future I cannot see it being a runner.

Where would they get money? Who'd support them? Any business that has money will be given it to Cork City and why would anyone whose supported a club all their life suddenly decide to follow a new club. There's no viable expansions in this country unless money is pumped into the league, can barely keep the clubs that are already there a float never mind bringing in more teams to a basket case of a league. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic