You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saipan - Who was right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Poll Question: Who was correct in their actions?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
91 [69.47%]
40 [30.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saipan - Who was right?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:38am
Roy in a tell all interview has revealed he didnt react strongly enough and let the manager away lightly
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
Roy was too concerned with man United too give a damm!!

Edited by armahibee - 23 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 1:22pm
Both could have handled it better.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:32pm
Do you really want me to tell yer .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
Was interesting to hear Duff saying he's not so sure we'd have done any better with Roy at the world cup , and what happened might have galvanised the squad together. I always thought that myself but didn't think id hear a member of the team saying it
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:50pm
Are you not tired of this f**king conversation? It's almost as bad as the "We would have won the world cup" if we had beaten Spain, lol.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

It's the easy option to call it 50/50 when it clearly isn't. Keane undermined his manager, had a history of indiscipline in the Irish set up going back to Charlton and let his country down on the eve of the world cup. He even stated in his own autobiography that United were his employer and they more it less took precedence over the national team.  The FAI's incompetence or McCarthy not stroking precious Roy's ego enough will ever excuse what Keane did. The other 22 squad of players did the country proud without their captain and best player who sat on his arse in Manchester. 

Keane's world class ability gives him a shield from his loyal followers who believe he  is right no matter what he does or did before. It's a waste of time debating with these people. They're loyal to Keane in the same way the Trumpists are with the Donald. He can do no wrong. 

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jun 2018 at 7:59pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:17pm
No option for them both being wrong?

I’m sure if they could go back in time things would be different.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 8:28pm
I reckon Delaney orchestrated the whole thing. He hasn’t looked back since.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I reckon Delaney orchestrated the whole thing. He hasn’t looked back since.

I hope you're kidding Reddladd LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

No option for them both being wrong?

I’m sure if they could go back in time things would be different.

It's good that there's no option for both being wrong because Keane was primarily the instigator in this no matter how much he or his fans can point to the FAI's incompetence as a backdrop. It was Keane's choice not to play in the 2002 world cup once he undermined his manager. 

Edited by irishmufc - 23 Jun 2018 at 9:24pm
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:41pm
Keane was in wretched humour going into it but McCarthy accusing Keane of faking injury was outrageous.

Roy shoulda played and then let rip, McCarthy f**ked up badly calling that meeting and saying Keane didn't go to Iran faking injury. 

Lock this thread actually. Angry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Keane was in wretched humour going into it but McCarthy accusing Keane of faking injury was outrageous.

Roy shoulda played and then let rip, McCarthy f**ked up badly calling that meeting and saying Keane didn't go to Iran faking injury. 

Lock this thread actually. Angry

Not excusing McCarthy jumping with two feet in falsely accusing Keane in that instance but Keane's attitude towards the Irish team stunk years before that FW. Keane's commitment to this country should justifiably be questioned and you only need to read his book to see the contempt he had for our friendly games/tournaments out of his own words  not mine. Robbie Keane would give him a lesson in what it means to captain your country. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Is the only answer 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
Both could have handled it better except McCarthy.

Keane's newspaper interview where he sl*gged off players publicly was the end point. Saying thats why some of them.are playing where they are is no way for a captain to talk about hia fellow players. Krane had an enormous ego and still does and looked down on everyone else.  Even in Tommy Gormans interview he gets seriosuly offended when its put to him "if the team took you back"  and he replies "take ME back?? What do you mean take ME back" as if its him who should take them back for betraying him.

McCarthy had no choice but to have a clear the air meeting as the players wpuld have read that interview. Keane reacted badly and things had already gone too far when he was accused of faking injury (which he did).  He disappeared and didnt turn up for the US Cup in 1996 and basically hated McCarthy from the start and coupdnt wait for an opportunity to rip his head off.

Maybe McCarthy could have handled it better but I am not sure how.  Once Keane aired his views there was a toxic atmosphere that had to be confronted.  Also Keane had told McCarthy he wanted to go home bwfore arsing him about and changing his mind. What was all that about??  Would any sane person walk away from a World Cup because the footballs were a day late arriving?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:24am
Who cares.  Doesn't matter who was right, who was wrong. There was no winner in the whole episode (maybe Matt holland).
If rather not remember it. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:55am
Was it better for Irish football that it happened?

As Duff said, would we have really got any further with Keane?

Is the team treated better now as a result?
TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:03am
team managed to beat Saudi Arabia without him snd were unlucky against ten man Spain next round 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic