You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saipan - Who was right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Poll Question: Who was correct in their actions?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
91 [69.47%]
40 [30.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

As stated Keane said he was injured yet I saw an interview with him recently where he said Fergie didnt want him playing any games for The EIRE and would constantly try to get him to withdraw from squads.

We all know Fergie made him pull out of the away  leg and it nearly cost us.

Even if that is true. Is it good management to throw that at a player in front of his team mates.  No.  Keane was bang out of order but Mick also showed he didn’t have the skill sets for managing a world class talent who can tough to manager. 
How many world-class players behave like Keane did? It's not like he didn't have form. But the poor sensitive soul should have been handled with kid gloves and not embarrassed in front of his teammates. 
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 10:16am
Anything featuring Jason McAteer should be avoided at all costs 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:11am
Ted Is there anything to be said for having another documentary about Saipan ? 

No there bloody isn’t it’s embarrassing at this stage 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by decky_eire decky_eire wrote:

Enjoyed the show, however I wish they skipped the hypothetical nonsense regarding us reaching the final.

I like both Mccarthy and Keane, and Keane was out of order however Mccarthy could have listened more in years previous with relation to diet / preparation etc from the treble winning captain of Man United. I think Mccarthy should have buried his feelings on the Iran second leg, what was he doing bring them up in Saipan i cannot understand, talk about picking your battles.
Yeah they're both fairly strong headed or stubborn individuals. I get the feeling neither was ever going to back down and show weakness. Both felt like the alpha male
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:02pm

As stated Keane said he was injured yet I saw an interview with him recently where he said Fergie didnt want him playing any games for The EIRE and would constantly try to get him to withdraw from squads.

Even if that is true. Is it good management to throw that at a player in front of his team mates.  No.  Keane was bang out of order but Mick also showed he didn’t have the skill sets for managing a world class talent who can tough to manager. 

IMO Mick is a very fair man.  Maybe he could have handled McGrath, Aldrige and Irwin better but his intentions were always from a  good place.

Confronting Keane I would forgive him for.  He put up with so much disrespect and sh*t from Keane over a decade, not just a few days.  Not turning up for squads without a phone call, pulling out of numerous games with 'injuries'.  Slating fellow players in tv interviews...IT was the final straw.  Mick had given him so much leeway and Keane threw it back in his face.

Keane was 90%+ in the wrong.  Slating his team mates and manager in a newspaper interview on the eve of the World Cup. Yeah that was a good idea alright.

Since Keane sl*gged off his team mates and not just his manager there needed to be a clear the air meeting.  If McCarthy had gone to him in private what would that have solved?  Keane had made bad blood with a lot of players from the interview and a private meeting would not have resolved that.  It would have been festering until there was a physical altercation in training or a match between Keane and some of the other players.

IMO the team breathed a sigh of relief once he was gone.  Yeah we missed him but other players raised their games to unprecedented levels in his absence.

Keane was an arsehole as a player.  He would come into Ireland camps and not talk to anybody, relay messages to Mick Byrne and would constantly be grumpy and show disrespect.  He roomed on his own when others had roomates.  IT was definitely in Keane's mind ''me and them''.

Even in his 1st book Keane says about Saipan  ''I went to the gym where I met David Connolly (and some other player).  I didnt know David and I got to know him a  little better as we chatted in the gym''.  This is a squad member that he and Keane would have been in together for 6 years!

Even Bertie says it there in the documentary.  In Dublin airport Keane was on his own looking out the window not wanting to talk to anyone. He was in terrible mood long before the gear not arriving.  My own hunch was he was off the drink and couldn't handle seeing other lads going out on the beer.  I'd say that was a struggle and then as been stated before Man Utd's bad end to the season really ate at him especially the Champions League semi final. 

It was all on Keane.

Edited by Trap junior - 22 Nov 2022 at 12:08pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:19pm
Very well put, Trap junior. As good a summary of this national embarrassment as I've read. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:36pm

It was all on Keane.

Give that man a can of Coke!

Edited by Het-field - 22 Nov 2022 at 12:37pm
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 12:48pm
yeah excellent summary TJ........I agree with all you say bar a private meeting.....Mick should have met Roy away from the squad with someone like Mick Byrne as an observer/referee .....
But who knows if it had been resolved there n then how long would it have lasted......but I still reckon it was worth a shot.....
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:52pm
I don't think you can put it all on Roy. Didn't they organise a barbecue with the press where all the players were to wear Hawaian shirts...imagine Roy in the middle of that! 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:54pm
I blame that round of golf
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:03pm
Demons within him always got him down talking about Keane , now as for Mick well took the country to the World Cup and Roy well let go by Ipswich . 
 Go on given millions by Sunderland to buy the championship . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:05pm
One of the aspects about Saipan which is mentioned in Champagne Football is the FAI's role in handling the situation, between Dublin and the FAI out in Saipan. If I recall correctly, the players were given the green light to release a joint statement having a go at Keane, while at the same time negotiations had been ongoing and Quinn had Michael Kennedy's ear to have Keane apologize and stay in the camp. Some clown in the FAI never passed on the news to the squad so once Staunton ect went before the cameras, that was the final nail. If I recall correctly the FAI official was flying out at the time and nobody thought to send an email or text, so by the time the news reached Keane was already on the way to Manchester.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 2:11pm
Wonder if the ladies team will do a pre-WC warm up in Saipan next year?

If Keane was in the wrong to call out the setup, they might as well go back, sounds like a great place for a training camp
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 3:49pm

IMO Mick is a very fair man.  Maybe he could have handled McGrath, Aldrige and Irwin better but his intentions were always from a  good place.

Confronting Keane I would forgive him for.  He put up with so much disrespect and sh*t from Keane over a decade, not just a few days.  Not turning up for squads without a phone call, pulling out of numerous games with 'injuries'.  Slating fellow players in tv interviews...IT was the final straw.  Mick had given him so much leeway and Keane threw it back in his face.

Keane was 90%+ in the wrong.  Slating his team mates and manager in a newspaper interview on the eve of the World Cup. Yeah that was a good idea alright.

Since Keane sl*gged off his team mates and not just his manager there needed to be a clear the air meeting.  If McCarthy had gone to him in private what would that have solved?  Keane had made bad blood with a lot of players from the interview and a private meeting would not have resolved that.  It would have been festering until there was a physical altercation in training or a match between Keane and some of the other players.

IMO the team breathed a sigh of relief once he was gone.  Yeah we missed him but other players raised their games to unprecedented levels in his absence.

Keane was an arsehole as a player.  He would come into Ireland camps and not talk to anybody, relay messages to Mick Byrne and would constantly be grumpy and show disrespect.  He roomed on his own when others had roomates.  IT was definitely in Keane's mind ''me and them''.

Even in his 1st book Keane says about Saipan  ''I went to the gym where I met David Connolly (and some other player).  I didnt know David and I got to know him a  little better as we chatted in the gym''.  This is a squad member that he and Keane would have been in together for 6 years!

Even Bertie says it there in the documentary.  In Dublin airport Keane was on his own looking out the window not wanting to talk to anyone. He was in terrible mood long before the gear not arriving.  My own hunch was he was off the drink and couldn't handle seeing other lads going out on the beer.  I'd say that was a struggle and then as been stated before Man Utd's bad end to the season really ate at him especially the Champions League semi final. 

It was all on Keane.

Spot on TJ Clap
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:02pm

It was all on Keane.
I can't sit here and listen to this. This is a man who doesn't showboat like Niall Quinn. Who actually goes to the hospital to visit sick children. This is a man who is family man, he is a credit to his country and to his family. He's a gentleman, he's a class act and he stands up to bullies.  I'm not going to listen to him be called a thug by you.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:09pm
oh who even cares. it's a sad state of affairs that our football is so SH*T now that we are still banging on about something from 20 years ago. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

It was all on Keane.
I can't sit here and listen to this. This is a man who doesn't showboat like Niall Quinn. Who actually goes to the hospital to visit sick children. This is a man who is family man, he is a credit to his country and to his family. He's a gentleman, he's a class act and he stands up to bullies.  I'm not going to listen to him be called a thug by you.

Niall Quinn is a creep!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 4:54pm
Also, from recall Mother Teresa spent a lot of her time in hospitals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
  Share Topic