You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saipan - Who was right?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Poll Question: Who was correct in their actions?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
91 [69.47%]
40 [30.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Jaysus the same outdated bollox been posted just for attention and the usual muppet jumping in with both his left feet, mods need to lock this , there are enough shoite threads on it already
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 11:37am
Keane acted the cnt and his interview as trap says was bang out of order.  But there was no evidence to suggest that the dressing room was toxic because of it.  The players had learned to live with Keane and laugh about it.  I think Mick got offended on their behalf and the clear the air meeting did anything bit clear the air.  Keane was bang out of order in his comments about his team mates.  But footballers are selfish and would have played with Keane no problem at they knew he was world class.   Mick didn't need to have a clear the air meeting and certainly didn't need to poke the bear.  His comments about Keane were as bad as Roy's about the squad.  The difference is Keane was never going to laugh them off. 

AKA pedantic kunt
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
both wrong. Pair of egotistical muppets. Mick then compounded it against Spain by according to himself,” not noticing “ Spain were down to ten! f**king decent side we had too, played some good stuff.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
The indo newspaper article yesterday was a bit of a joke. Keane explodes myth of him leaving because of the facilities?

If it was purely down to Mick accusing him of injury then why had he already walked out earlier that week only for Mick Byrne to persuade him to stay? This narrative off all being fine until the despicable manager dared suggest that a man who played for his club a few days after being too 'injured' to travel to Iran and who had regularly skipped Ireland games without even notifying the manager on occasion might have faked it has been peddled by the Keane set up since Dunphy's book and probably before. He probably believes it himself by now. It's not factual though. It's up there with the other myth that Saipan was a training camp rather than a rest and recreation stop. The training facilities in Japan were top class. And the myth that there were no balls or training gear. DHL mislaid 2 skips of official gear which were late arriving. But there was other gear there that was available.

I spoke to players over there about it. Their opinion was Roy just didn't want to be there. I've always thought that if Man U had won something that season Roy would have been more content and got on with it. The fact that they'd lost the CL semi to a club he didn't consider a big club and had seen Arsenal do the double was eating at him. He's admitted that the culture at Man U was driving him mad since the treble year and he couldn't handle the laid back attitude at Ireland despite the fact it worked for the rest of the squad. So engineered an exit.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Was it better for Irish football that it happened?

As Duff said, would we have really got any further with Keane?

Is the team treated better now as a result?

It's Interesting that the woman where treated with the same unprofessional conditions up until recently they never had a Saipan. However at the same time the general public after the world cup never really viewed the national team in the same light till about the playoffs in 2009 I'd say. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
Sure  wasn’t he asked by one of the Irish press at the time something like this . 

IS it mick ? No

Is it Saipan? no 

Is it the team no ?

Then what is it roy ?

It’s me me me 

For whatever reasons he just didn’t want to be there . 

Sadly for Keane it was him that missed out on a work cup . The rest got on with it . 

Edited by depechemode - 24 Jun 2018 at 12:37pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Was interesting to hear Duff saying he's not so sure we'd have done any better with Roy at the world cup , and what happened might have galvanised the squad together. I always thought that myself but didn't think id hear a member of the team saying it

Yes, we played extremely well in the four games without him (apart from the first half against Cameroon) and went out of the tournament undefeated in normal time.

Would we have done any better with him in the team? It seems debatable.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:34am
Time for the assistant manager of a team that hasn’t qualified for the World Cup to realise that it‘s not about him.  Can an appearance on “I’m a celebrity get me outtahere” (never mind the punctuation as the show is rubbish) be far away?
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:27am
yeah I think duff was speaking for a lot of players when he said that a few weeks ago... pressure was released and they went out to spain..on penos , it was in out hands .. anyway its a long time ago now,...life goes on .. look at maradona now trying to get into the traing camps etc.. not only us that has problems,,
Come on Irelind
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm
Strange comments from Keane... He did an interview a while back where he said he would have handled things differently and now he comes out with this
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 11:02pm
Why were we even in Saipan? 

Just go to Japan with its immaculate facilities and get to work. If you don't want to get to work straight away, then give the players some time off with their families for the first few days in Japan.

Saipan was a dream come true for the odious sh*te-stirring media. They must have loved every minute of it.

And whatever you say about Mick, at least he left when his time with Ireland was up. He wasn't hanging around after being hammered at home, like some others we could name.

A mere 2-1 loss got him the boot. FAI standards have really slipped since those days.
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Why were we even in Saipan? 

Just go to Japan with its immaculate facilities and get to work. If you don't want to get to work straight away, then give the players some time off with their families for the first few days in Japan.

Saipan was a dream come true for the odious sh*te-stirring media. They must have loved every minute of it.

And whatever you say about Mick, at least he left when his time with Ireland was up. He wasn't hanging around after being hammered at home, like some others we could name.

A mere 2-1 loss got him the boot. FAI standards have really slipped since those days.

The 4-2 loss to Russia and the 2-1 loss to Switzerland got him the sack.
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 11:04pm
As Drumcondra69 said Roy did not want to be there.

He failed to turn up in Sunderland for the Niall Quinn testimonial, and missed the briefing for the trip to Saipan.

Personally I reckon the press were just as scared of him as others and therefore sided with him regardless.

The purpose of going to Saipan was to acclimatize to the heat, and based on the fact that we came back from behind in 3 of our four games, and out played Spain in extra time suggests that it was successful.

Like D69, I talked to a few of the players in Chiba where they were based, and there was no sympathy for Roy and nothing but praise for the facilities in both Saipan and Chiba.

The fact that Mick never realised that Spain only had 10 players in ET, was really irrelevant as we threw everything at them going for a win, we never sat back. The players were extremely confident going into the Spain game and gave 110%.

I would say that the general consensus of Irish fans out there was Mick was right and Roy walked out. It is a fact that Roy only turned up when it suited himself, and he left for Manchester after the home play off leg against Iran without even informing Mick he was not going to Iran.

I know nothing :-)
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

I would say that the general consensus of Irish fans out there was Mick was right and Roy walked out. It is a fact that Roy only turned up when it suited himself, and he left for Manchester after the home play off leg against Iran without even informing Mick he was not going to Iran.
It was well known that Roy and Mick barely spoke (the handshake after beating Holland) and Keane would communicate with Mick Byrne the physio.

The time he didn't 'turn up' for the US Cup in 96 he rang the FAI but someone forgot to pass on the message, this is the FAI we're talking about.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

It was well known that Roy and Mick barely spoke (the handshake after beating Holland) and Keane would communicate with Mick Byrne the physio.

The time he didn't 'turn up' for the US Cup in 96 he rang the FAI but someone forgot to pass on the message, this is the FAI we're talking about.

Yes blame anyone but Roy, I mean he rings the FAI switch and says hi this is Roy, I'm not going to the Us and hangs up. That is contempt for his country nothing else.  Do you think he would have tried that with Utd?

I know nothing :-)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Leaving FAI incompetence aside, he should have turned up as captain of the team full stop. 

I find it hard to stomach that whole 'wrong on both sides/ 50/50 blame' when Keane had a record as long as your arm of indiscipline and contempt towards the Irish national team set up, previous manager prior to Saipan. 

I would take the word of the supporters from here that were out in Japan and got it from the horses mouth (players themselves) as to who was in the wrong and  who simply didn't want to be there. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:35pm
name the players who said that to the supporters 
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

name the players who said that to the supporters 

You'll have to ask the D69er and GF as I wasn't there but I would believe what they're saying is true. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic