Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

The World Cup is continuing to demonstrate that with a good manager and a good plan, ordinary players can rise above what would normally be considered their level and compete.

What is continually being demonstrated in Ireland matches is that our manager is failing to put together a cohesive 11 players that can do this.

It's not about population bases, it's not about playing like Barcelona/Spain etc., it's simply about this. 

100%

Players going out not really knowing what to do, therefore under performing and not getting the performances or results.

Even the games we did win, Austria and Wales, we rode out luck big time.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:13am
Its hard to imagine ourselves in this tournament and what we'd be like, but I've not seen any teams playing the prehistoric football that we did in some games of our qualifying campaign. Ball played out to the full backs to hoof up the pitch, not even anywhere near our supposed target man, and unable to keep the ball for more than 4 passes at a time. Most teams so far have looked comfortable in possession and look a lot more energetic than us.

On the other hand though, we performed well enough at the Euros in 2 of our 4 games, and looked ok, so I wouldn't say we'd be getting badly beaten in every game. We regressed since the Euros though.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 11:36am
Think this world cup has highlighted to me the value in having a superstar, one player really can drag a team to the WC these days. Obviously you have teams like Portugal (Ronaldo) and Argentina (Messi) looking for knockout places, but there's a raft of teams ranked about 12-25 that are ahead of Ireland mainly because of one/two stars:
Poland - Lewondowski
Denmark - Eriksen
Iceland - Sigurdson
South Korea - Son
Egypt - Salah

In teh absence of a star, you need to be well organised, we are neither 

Edited by Shedite - 22 Jun 2018 at 11:37am
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I am convinced we would have been a disaster with MON in charge. I think maybe with a manager who has some clue about tactics we would have been a respectable failure as opposed to a shambles.

We are falling further and further behind imo.

100%, we'd have brought nothing except the great fans to the tournament and the usual sh*te about Irish guts and commitment.

The football audience can thank their lucky stars we weren't at the tournament and it'll get worse before it gets better while O'Neill remains in charge.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:34pm
some amount of deluded comment here. We wouldn’t even compete with the saudis because they’d just keep the ball. Glad we’re not there the teams that are at least play with an amount of skill, our lot look as though they’ve just been introduced to the football. We’d be embarrassingly poor.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Ball played out to the full backs to hoof up the pitch, not even anywhere near our supposed target man. 
And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:01pm
I’m not even sure if the current team displays the same guts, determination and heart that you’d normally associate with Irish teams. 

Sure James McClean tackles lads in over the top fashion and runs about like a headless chicken, but I don’t think the likes of Brady, Hendrick and Arter are even trying their best as footballers and were certainly devoid of our typical passion in the play-offs. 

That’s nothing against the players, I think it’s easy to show determination and heart when there is a solid game plan that the players believe in. At the moment there is no belief. 

Edited by Maccatacca - 22 Jun 2018 at 1:47pm
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:35pm
Agree with all the above. Ireland are indeed sh*t!!!!! With years of sh*t ahead of us. 
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay<div>And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.</div><div> </div>[/QUOTE Gary McKay
And if the target man does actually win the header we've no-one within 40 yards to pick up the second ball.

[/QUOTE wrote:

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The mo

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The most balanced team we have had was against Sweden in the Europeans championships. We played a version of it against a full strength Wales team in Dublin and they hardly had a sniff. We had an awful weekend employing the restricitive tactics against Georgia and the more expansive against Serbia, and we then went with the more restrictive version which was badly found out.
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:00pm
Lads can we not be so pessimistic. Yes we are not the greatest at the moment but I have NO doubt we would have held our own in this WC. We would be on the edge of last 16 or thereabouts.

If someone tells me that Asian/Americas/some African are better then us then that BOLLOONY !

WE WILL RISE AGAIN AS WE HAVE BEFORE :)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:03pm
LOLWhat the f**k is bolloony?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's an emotion.

Q: "Hi Tom, how are you?" A: "Good, quite bolloony".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It's an emotion.

Q: "Hi Tom, how are you?" A: "Good, quite bolloony".

I like that, let's make it a thing.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:23pm
The big question is will we rise again???

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:26pm
Na, we will be left feeling deflated.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm
So we won't burst with excitement?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That's the nub of why the system doesn't work. Our midfield is too far back, with our defensive midfield on top of our CBS. The most balanced team we have had was against Sweden in the Europeans championships. We played a version of it against a full strength Wales team in Dublin and they hardly had a sniff. We had an awful weekend employing the restricitive tactics against Georgia and the more expansive against Serbia, and we then went with the more restrictive version which was badly found out.
When Big Jack played HoofBall and we scored our two most famous goals in Stuttgart and NY/NJ it was the runners from midfield who picked up the loose ball and scored.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
Even Trapp's style of hoofball had some method. Sure, the central midfield was bypassed, but the wingers still played an important role and in Duff, McGeady and Hunt had some technically proficient players. Now, the key midfielder is the defensive midfielder, who has generally been limited, and the ball is played over the heads of everybody else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic