You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Originally posted by Barbrady Barbrady wrote:

we rarely lose a competitive game by more than one goal

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying.

Quote and are nearly always in with a shout of qualifying for tournaments going into the last game of qualifiers. I don't think the likes of iran or egypt would do as well if they had to qualify through europe

It's almost impossible to compare the 4th or 5th best team in Asia or Africa with the 14th or 15th in Europe- they never play each other in competition

What’s this got to do with Northern Ireland?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:23pm
They didn't, he walked away because of the media. A very different thing entirely.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:26pm
Apologies. I was wrong.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I think we would have performed at this World Cup as expectations would have been low. I would expect getting through the group stages on two draws and one win, then going out.

Few managers have the experience of World Cups that MON has. A few rising players grateful for the opportunity, and an understanding of the achievement that qualification in itself was, thereby removing the pressure to perform, I would think we would have acquitted ourselves well.

Just like it didn’t take long for the boom to come back, those outlandish predictions from Euro 2012 raise their heads 6 years later 
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

[QUOTE=inlikeflynn]
Just like it didn’t take long for the boom to come back, those outlandish predictions from Euro 2012 raise their heads 6 years later 

I remember so many people thinking we'd get something out of the Croatia game and the Italy game was a gimme! How wrong we were...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
"Few managers have the experience of a World Cup that O'Neill has"

This has left me scratching my head a bit!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

+1
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

[QUOTE=inlikeflynn]

I remember so many people thinking we'd get something out of the Croatia game and the Italy game was a gimme! How wrong we were...

What else is there to do in the days before a big tournament starts but believe in your chances? That's part of the mad romance of these big tournaments. Mad romances are often illogical, given to passion, feature some heavy drinking, and crash head first into the wall of reality. But maybe the glum disappointment and cynicism that follows is worth the times where we were happy & believed anything was possible...
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Firstly, to be fair to Ireland, Ireland also beat Wales while missing arguably their only world-class player in Seamus Coleman, and playing Daryl 'Maradona' Murphy up front. I have plenty of criticisms about the Irish team, but there's no need to belittle a fine away win. 

I could just as easily surmise that Georgia beat Ireland while they were lacking Seamus Coleman, ergo Serbia aren't that good.

I actually think the way to get to the bottom of our issues and problems in the last Qualification campaign ought to include an appreciation of the "rub of the green" factor which was so prevalent in the campaign. Starting with Hendrick's goal against Serbia, and continuing on with the red cards for Taylor and Maksimovic, the combination of the Georgian keeper and the referee for Duffy's goal in Tiblisi, even Schmeichel's mistake that had us with one foot in the final's for 30 minutes or so. Apart from Duffy's goal that was chalked off against Austria, we were generally the beneficiary of team errors and refereeing decisions. Wales was a different type of luck. Its not belittling the win to admit that we benefitted from not having to face an £80 Million player who has won four European Cups, and was central to Wales getting to the Euro 2016 Semi Finals, likewise to admit that Joe Allen was influencing the game greatly before he went off in Cardiff, or that we met Ashley Williams at a time when he was struggling to maintain form. Coleman would never have permitted what unfolded against Denmark, but at the same time, would he have been able to turn the 1-2 reversal at Half time in a manner that you would expect Bale to do?

You beat what is in front of you, and you make the breaks, but we certainly enjoyed an unprecedented rub of the green, and since Gary McKay scored against Bulgaria in 1987, we have regularly enjoyed the rub of the green, and Cardiff was no exception.

Now secondly, the thing that really propels a successful defensive team is not only their defensiveness. I think there's a bit of a delusion going on among Irish fans that if only we had the right manager, he could beat our motley crew of Championship stalwarts and EPL can't-quite-get-a-game-guys into masters of the 1-0 victory. The fact is, I think, is that while a manager can come in to give shape and direction to a team, unless he has one or two really special players to build his team around, then what he's building is less of a lasting edifice in the history of football and more of a sandcastle, a house of cards waiting to be knocked over, because a team without that spine has little resiliency. You watch Ireland go a goal down to a half decent team and you're all to often left wondering what answer they have.

The thing is, Ireland have shown resilience. Germany and Italy are two examples. They didnt go a goal down, but they needed wins in both games, and they achieved that. The bulk of those players are still around the squad. But since then, we have resorted to a 4-5-1 style approach which place Duffy-Meyler-Walters/Murphy at the forefront of the system. Against Denmark, the correct substitutions to have made would not have been to have taken out the last vestiges of a weak midfield, and put four wingers across the middled, thus emaciating the midfield. By by-passing midfield you are weakening the team as it falls entirely on a Route 1 approach to do all the work. Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players. Australia, Iran, Saudi Arabia have all shown various amounts of resilience. Iceland are a great example, and the entire apparatus of Icelandic football should be watched closely.

So until Ireland have another Duff and another Roy & Robbie Keane to really lead the team and power them along, overachieving and having the bubble burst might be as good as it gets.  

Perhaps. But so many teams get by without a Worldy. Our team has enough to compete, but it needs a system which maximises our best assets. Isolating a tall, and slightly immobile striker from a five man midfield is not the way to go, while playing a long ball game, and relying on Shane Duffy to repel everything else, and having somebody like David Meyler do the rest at the base of a redundant midfield. Look, I understand that we dont have a team of world beaters. I would like to have see Brady become our target man since 2016, or James McCarthy go from strength to strength in a post-Glenn Whelan environment, but that has not happened for a number of reasons, including injury. But with Coleman, Brady, Judge and McCarthy on the way back, Declan Rice making waves at Club and Country level, Sean Maguire proving he can score in the Championship, we should be at least able to match our counterparts in the North.

Edited by Het-field - 21 Jun 2018 at 10:05pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:07pm
I am convinced we would have been a disaster with MON in charge. I think maybe with a manager who has some clue about tactics we would have been a respectable failure as opposed to a shambles.

We are falling further and further behind imo.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:04am
The World Cup is continuing to demonstrate that with a good manager and a good plan, ordinary players can rise above what would normally be considered their level and compete.

What is continually being demonstrated in Ireland matches is that our manager is failing to put together a cohesive 11 players that can do this.

It's not about population bases, it's not about playing like Barcelona/Spain etc., it's simply about this. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
You can beat MON up for a lot of things but you can’t use Euro2012 to beat him with.

His only tournament was only 2 years ago and we did quite well in it. 

He generally does better against the stronger teams. Look at the results over the last 4 years against the better team.

Now the football would be awful but we wouldn’t be embarrassed. 

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying

Just giving context to the previous poster's claim that you "rarely" lose by more than one goal.

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players...we should be at least able to match our counterparts in the North

You have matched us- records since WC 2014 are almost identical.

Your problem seems to be that while both the Euro and World Cup Finals are now less elitist than they were- a lot more mediocre teams take part, basically- the qualifiers for the latter are still pretty tough.

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 22 Jun 2018 at 10:03am
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:02am

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

You've lost five by three or more since the last time NI did, in Euro 2012 qualifying

Just giving context to the previous poster's claim that you "rarely" lose by more than one goal.

Quote Northern Ireland show what you can do with a proper system, even with journeymen style players
And we have qualified for 2 tournaments in that time and the north have got to 1 just putting some context on it.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Fruice- indeed. You were a lot better than us  6 or 7 years ago. Now we're pretty much similar in standard, as I said.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:29am

Fruice- indeed. You were a lot better than us  6 or 7 years ago. Now we're pretty much similar in standard, as I said.
We're both bad now!!

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:52am
@Fruice: Wales, Czechia, Austria, Norway, Greece and Scotland might disagree...
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

+1
Eh he went to Brazil with the BBC 4 years ago!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic