You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

God help us when the next manager is appointed. Now that DOB has taken his money and left, do you really think that a certain individual will fork out for a top manager?  It will be Alan Pardew or a 500/1 outside bet foreigner or Robbie Keane.

We are doomed. Doomed I tells ya!

I'd say Mick McCarthy is waiting to see if we stick or twist after the Nation's League.
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:24pm

God help us when the next manager is appointed. Now that DOB has taken his money and left, do you really think that a certain individual will fork out for a top manager?  It will be Alan Pardew or a 500/1 outside bet foreigner or Robbie Keane.

Do not fear TJ someone like Jim Mcguinness will save us
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Do not fear TJ someone like Jim Mcguinness will save us

I would apply only I don't think the FAI can afford me
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 2:02pm
*wrong thread*

Edited by Het-field - 12 Jul 2018 at 2:03pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

I would be surprise if we managed one win in the Nations League.

Will put the new manager (if the FAI wants us to make Euro2020 at home) under pressure as we may not have the play off to fall back on. 

I think it may be best for us to not qualify, and for the FAI to try and start things again from the ground up. Not that that will happen. They'll appoint someone like Big Sam and the same old rubbish shall continue. I'd happily miss out on the next few tournaments for the good of the game in future
We've qualified for 6 tournaments in 80 years. What a f**kin ridiculous statement.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 2:52pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The likes of Hajduk, Dinamo, Rijeka etc are all big clubs in a sense who have really good academies in place. 

If we had a strong domestic league, I have no doubt if it was ran correctly and there were plenty of investment pumped into it we would soon seen the benefits.

This is it in a nutshell, a stronger domestic game would allow us hold onto some teenagers longer and help them develop here before moving abroad rather than leaving as teenagers to be stuck in academies and reserve teams until they're 22 or 23. Shamrock Rovers are trying to do things the right way with their academy but given the lack of funding clubs get here you gotta wonder how long they can keep it up. 

You also go through that Croatia team and I'd say the vast majority if not all of them played senior football in Croatia before moving abroad and then you've got the England or nothing mentality here with players unwilling to go abroad to European leagues. Another thing to change is the way underage international teams are ran here and look to follow the Belgian approach

Could have Pep and he still wouldn't make a difference. How much influence would international managers have, how much time would they spend working with players in camps? FAI have a couple of good coaches working with the 17s and 19s at the moment and should look at moving them up to 19s and 21s as the players get older and then onto the senior team. They'd cost you pennies and probably get the same results as someone looking to make a quick buck out of international management  while looking for a new club after being sacked by his 4th or 5th club in England.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

The likes of Hajduk, Dinamo, Rijeka etc are all big clubs in a sense who have really good academies in place. 

If we had a strong domestic league, I have no doubt if it was ran correctly and there were plenty of investment pumped into it we would soon seen the benefits.

This is it in a nutshell, a stronger domestic game would allow us hold onto some teenagers longer and help them develop here before moving abroad rather than leaving as teenagers to be stuck in academies and reserve teams until they're 22 or 23. Shamrock Rovers are trying to do things the right way with their academy but given the lack of funding clubs get here you gotta wonder how long they can keep it up. 

You also go through that Croatia team and I'd say the vast majority if not all of them played senior football in Croatia before moving abroad and then you've got the England or nothing mentality here with players unwilling to go abroad to European leagues. Another thing to change is the way underage international teams are ran here and look to follow the Belgian approach

Could have Pep and he still wouldn't make a difference. How much influence would international managers have, how much time would they spend working with players in camps? FAI have a couple of good coaches working with the 17s and 19s at the moment and should look at moving them up to 19s and 21s as the players get older and then onto the senior team. They'd cost you pennies and probably get the same results as someone looking to make a quick buck out of international management  while looking for a new club after being sacked by his 4th or 5th club in England.

Nonsense.   What a cop out.  More than enough time to get basics and set pieces right.  If that were the case every international side would be all over the gaff.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

[QUOTE=Icy Bread People]We've qualified for 6 tournaments in 80 years. What a f**kin ridiculous statement.

Chillax. I just think another flukey qualification will be another band aid for a while. Personally I'd prefer abject failure until JD's head rolls and major changes are made. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:09pm

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Nonsense.   What a cop out. More than enough time to get basics and set pieces right.  If that were the case every international side would be all over the gaff.

Which is what thousands of coachs around the world do even at professional teams as they'll help coach the teams while some managers aren't that hands on in the training ground. Iceland haven't done too bad with their part time dentist/coach they installed as senior team manager.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:46pm

It has nothing to do with a strong domestic league. Their best team, Dinamo Zagreb, get hockeyed every time they make the European Cup group stage. Like our players, their best players flee the country at the first opportunity. Two years ago, they went out of the Euros the day before we did. Four years ago, they went out of the World Cup at the group stage. While they joined us on the first plane home in 2012, as like us, they couldn't beat the finalists either.

What they have today, is a gameplan. They don't go out to nick a point, and they don't panic every time they concede. They just restart and stick to their game plan. They won all their group games, and they fought back from adversity in the knockout stages. We wouldn't win all our group games, and as we saw in November, (and the last Euros) once we concede, chaos takes over. Croatia went one down at home to Greece in the playoff, dusted themselves down and won 4-1. There's the difference now between us and them.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:55pm
Yeah, that and Modric, Rakitic, Perisic, Mandzukic, Brozovic etc.

Any of whom would instantly be our best player if they were Irish.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

It has nothing to do with a strong domestic league. Their best team, Dinamo Zagreb, get hockeyed every time they make the European Cup group stage. Like our players, their best players flee the country at the first opportunity. Two years ago, they went out of the Euros the day before we did. Four years ago, they went out of the World Cup at the group stage. While they joined us on the first plane home in 2012, as like us, they couldn't beat the finalists either.

What they have today, is a gameplan. They don't go out to nick a point, and they don't panic every time they concede. They just restart and stick to their game plan. They won all their group games, and they fought back from adversity in the knockout stages. We wouldn't win all our group games, and as we saw in November, (and the last Euros) once we concede, chaos takes over. Croatia went one down at home to Greece in the playoff, dusted themselves down and won 4-1. There's the difference now between us and them.

Subasic left at Croatia at 27.
Kramaric left Croatia at 24.
Vida left Croatia at 24. (spent one season abroad at 21 only to return)
Manduzkic left Croatia at 24.
Brozovic left Croatia at 22.
Modric left Croatia at 22.
Lovren left Croatia at 21.
Corluka left Croatia at 21.
Vrsalijko left Croatia at 21.

So you couldn't be any further from the truth.

Most of our young top prospects leave Ireland between ages 14,15,16 so you're miles off with the suggestion that Croatian players flee at the first opportunity.

Also, the top prospects in the Croatian league go for millions while the best players in our league go for peanuts, so don't give this bullsh*t that a strong domestic league hasn't played any part in their success it has.

Most of the top flights clubs in Croatia have excellent academies. 

Edited by Green Devil - 12 Jul 2018 at 10:25pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:54am

Any of them? Their substitute goalkeeper would be our best midfielder!
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 9:59am

[QUOTE=planning]
Subasic left at Croatia at 27.
Kramaric left Croatia at 24.
Vida left Croatia at 24. (spent one season abroad at 21 only to return)
Manduzkic left Croatia at 24.
Brozovic left Croatia at 22.
Modric left Croatia at 22.
Lovren left Croatia at 21.
Corluka left Croatia at 21.
Vrsalijko left Croatia at 21.

So you couldn't be any further from the truth.

Most of our young top prospects leave Ireland between ages 14,15,16 so you're miles off with the suggestion that Croatian players flee at the first opportunity.

Also, the top prospects in the Croatian league go for millions while the best players in our league go for peanuts, so don't give this bullsh*t that a strong domestic league hasn't played any part in their success it has.

Most of the top flights clubs in Croatia have excellent academies. 

excellent post Clap
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Any of them? Their substitute goalkeeper would be our best midfielder!
LOL
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 9:32pm
you could put all possible resources into LoI football, but given the slightest whiff, the players will be on the boat to any number of English or even Scottish cities. 

We need to make the players want to develop the league. Not those administrators. 

I don’t know how to address that. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 9:40pm
The league is actually in a pretty decent place with regards to young talent at the moment, plenty of promising players getting game time.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic