Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International standard and Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:01pm
f**king hell.... can we start handing out bans to people who cannot spell f**king COLOMBIA... jesus christ it isn't that hard to know the difference between a country and a clothing brand 
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

England's set pieces   v   The Eire set pieces

You can see the work England put in on the training ground.  The Love Train for example.

The Eire just wing it.
In my opinion england are a slightly better version of Ireland. Zero in midfield, blessed with a lucky draw.

Yeah wouldn't disagree with that.  Well they are better version of Ireland and a bit more sophisticated but not as sophisticated as the top teams.  Still their preparation and coaching put us to shame.

We are nothing short of a disgrace the way we approach games.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

In the past we were a difficult away game for the bigger teams in Europe, but usually lost when we played away from Dalymount/ Lansdowne. And we had a problem conceding goals. That had to be fixed. 

When Jack came in we kept our good home form and started to get draws in away games. Our defending improved dramatically, and we became more of a long-ball team.

When we qualified for tournaments we were happy with not giving anything away, and the 1-1 scoreline is our national result in the same way St Patrick is our national saint.

This is the encoded DNA now. We know what we will get with Ireland. Don't give anything away, win your home games and get the draw away against your rivals. Don't take risks and play the percentages.

The Charlton DNA has given us a very consistent level of performance for a long time, but it doesn't leave us a lot of room to maneouvre. When it works we win 1-0 or occasionally 2-0.

However, if we concede a goal we know we won't win. If we concede two goals we give up. And if things go wrong, it's spectacular, like the 3-1 defeat by Spain in 1993, Euro 2012 or the recent 5-1 defeat by Denmark.

However, increasingly we don't have the tools to play that type of game. We don't have an airtight defence, a proper target-man or a combative midfield any more. And we've stopped winning games at home. So we either have to find players who can do that job or do something else.

And whatever we do, we still have to deal with a consistent goalscoring problem that's been with us over the years. Most of the time this is about us not creating the chances, but there is also a history of not taking the chances when they arrive or if we do score not driving home our advantage by getting a second or third goal. 

For instance, we should have beaten the USSR by 2 or 3 goals at Euro 88, just as we should have done something similar to Sweden at Euro 2016. Both games ended 1-1!

When you think about it, we never have a surprise result away from home or at a tournament against a decent team. 

Even on the rare occasions when we've had an opponent on the ropes in qualifying games, such as Holland (2-0) in Amsterdam, or Poland (3-1) in Poznan, we've conceded poor goals and drawn those games. 

The 3-1 v Turkey in Istanbul, the 4-0 in Belfast, and the 4-0 against Estonia in Talinn were our most ruthless away performances. Those results stand out, but the quality of the opposition is questionable.

The away draw in qualifying is so engrained it took us decades to get an another away win over a decent team. A 1-0 win in Glasgow in 1987 and then a 1-0 win in Vienna in 2016. But now that we have started to get wins away from home, our form at Lansdowne has deserted us.

We don't have the old attitude of being happy to take the game to our opponents, but we can still end games throwing the kitchen sink at teams to salvage draws, at least.

We've gone in the wrong direction really. Instead of trying to take our traditional home form into away games, we've brought our away form back to Lansdowne.

Overall it does seem that the elongated Charlton era is at an end. The game has changed to favour attack over defence a lot more, and VAR is sure to tip the balance even further.

With that in mind, the FAI should be thinking of going in a different direction when they come to appoint the next manager.

Very good post chief Clap

The last line though- Jack was appointed by a slice of luck (and some FAI blazers changing their mind to get one up on other FAI blazers if rumours are to be believed) - the FAI aren't even capable of thinking on the same lines as yerself regarding managers, or evolving the style of play, so the only way it will change is if they appoint someone kind of accidentally, I don't mean the appointment itself, which of course has to be deliberate, I mean they appoint someone who takes us in a direction that most would have thought unlikely at the time of appointment. 

The chances of that happening while Royston or Big Mick are still in circulation has to be pretty small unfortunately. The one thing that could save us is ironically the poor (ish) financial state of the FAI with no cash from DOB, which might prevent the FAI going for the usual ' find the biggest name available who will do it & pay him over the odds' approach they have taken since Stan. 

The downsides of it is we could just as easily end up with another Stan. Either way, I don't think it is too far away, unless MON can pull some rabbits out of hats, the prospect of a half empty Lansdowne for the 2019 qualifiers might scare the FAI in to action. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:00am
For lovers of the population argument, Croatia are in the World Cup Final. Population - 4.2 million.

Population of Ireland - 4.8 million.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:45am

You can see the work England put in on the training ground.  The Love Train for example.

The Eire just wing it.
In my opinion england are a slightly better version of Ireland. Zero in midfield, blessed with a lucky draw.

Would you go away with your ‘slightly better’ me arse

None of those fancy champions league English players would get into the Ireland squad.
Give me somebody who can kick hard and run harder everyday over fancy passers of the ball on the ground.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The Eire just wing it.

Would you go away with your ‘slightly better’ me arse

None of those fancy champions league English players would get into the Ireland squad.
Give me somebody who can kick hard and run harder everyday over fancy passers of the ball on the ground.
It is the lack of fancy passers on the ground that is England's problem. When Modric started getting on the ball last night, England couldn't react. They couldn't keep the ball themselves, other than to pass it back to Pickford, often nearly ending in hilarity.
Their problems are the same as ours, just with better versions of our payers and they have more pace and a better set-piece taker and, just to have an ever so sly dig at the 'no surrender ' elements in their support, the pace only came on the Windrush.
That performance last night reminded me a lot of Ireland, even down to the bizarre substitutions.
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

For lovers of the population argument, Croatia are in the World Cup Final. Population - 4.2 million.

And before people say we have the GAA and rugby to contend with - Sports like Basketball and Handball are big in Croatia. Take a look at their Olympics medals haul, it's ridiculous for a country that size.
I suppose we're just big fat alcoholic unsporty types while they live in a beautiful country with a beautiful climate and are outdoors an awful lot more. But it's probably more about our football culture, it belongs in the stone ages, and the way people support English teams instead of our own. Apparently their FA is a shambles as well, but they keep producing great players, mostly midfielders for some reason. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

agreed. we would of finished 2nd in their group also, columbia - rodriguez would of been doable and would of fancied us against sweden, so they haven't really done anything out of the ordinary

Oh come on. Would have. Three times in one post, it just hurts my eyes. And I wouldn't have fancied us against Sweden, or anyone for that matter. I think we'll see this autumn how truly awful we are. 

Edited by Icy Bread People - 12 Jul 2018 at 12:24pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

And before people say we have the GAA and rugby to contend with - Sports like Basketball and Handball are big in Croatia. Take a look at their Olympics medals haul, it's ridiculous for a country that size.
I suppose we're just big fat alcoholic unsporty types while they live in a beautiful country with a beautiful climate and are outdoors an awful lot more. But it's probably more about our football culture, it belongs in the stone ages, and the way people support English teams instead of our own. Apparently their FA is a shambles as well, but they keep producing great players, mostly midfielders for some reason. 

The likes of Hajduk, Dinamo, Rijeka etc are all big clubs in a sense who have really good academies in place. 

If we had a strong domestic league, I have no doubt if it was ran correctly and there were plenty of investment pumped into it we would soon seen the benefits.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

The likes of Hajduk, Dinamo, Rijeka etc are all big clubs in a sense who have really good academies in place. 

If we had a strong domestic league, I have no doubt if it was ran correctly and there were plenty of investment pumped into it we would soon seen the benefits.

Well that wont happen in our lifetime Cry
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:49pm

Ive been saying this for years whenever Ireland wins a solitary medal (aren't we a great little country) at the Limpics - look at Croatia, Czech, Norway etc and see how many medals they have won at the SUMMER Olympics.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Ive been saying this for years whenever Ireland wins a solitary medal (aren't we a great little country) at the Limpics - look at Croatia, Czech, Norway etc and see how many medals they have won at the SUMMER Olympics.

I think they've an even bigger winter haul. So my main bullet point here is that they outperform us in many sports and GAA isn't a feckin' excuse! Either way, I despise the GAA and all it stands for. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:54pm

I think they've an even bigger winter haul. So my main bullet point here is that they outperform us in many sports and GAA isn't a feckin' excuse! Either way, I despise the GAA and all it stands for. 

Sure that’s why 10,000 clowns go and watch Conor McGregor in a made up fight in Las Vegas. We’re sh*t at sport and jump on any bandwagon where we might have a sniff of doing well at something. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Sure that’s why 10,000 clowns go and watch Conor McGregor in a made up fight in Las Vegas. We’re sh*t at sport and jump on any bandwagon where we might have a sniff of doing well at something. 

I shouldn't laugh but found this post very funnyLOL

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

agreed. we would of finished 2nd in their group also, columbia - rodriguez would of been doable and would of fancied us against sweden, so they haven't really done anything out of the ordinary

Oh come on. Would have. Three times in one post, it just hurts my eyes. And I wouldn't have fancied us against Sweden, or anyone for that matter. I think we'll see this autumn how truly awful we are. 

I would be surprise if we managed one win in the Nations League.

Will put the new manager (if the FAI wants us to make Euro2020 at home) under pressure as we may not have the play off to fall back on. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Will put the new manager (if the FAI wants us to make Euro2020 at home) under pressure as we may not have the play off to fall back on. 

I think it may be best for us to not qualify, and for the FAI to try and start things again from the ground up. Not that that will happen. They'll appoint someone like Big Sam and the same old rubbish shall continue. I'd happily miss out on the next few tournaments for the good of the game in future. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:07pm
God help us when the next manager is appointed. Now that DOB has taken his money and left, do you really think that a certain individual will fork out for a top manager?  It will be Alan Pardew or a 500/1 outside bet foreigner or Robbie Keane.

We are doomed. Doomed I tells ya!

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:10pm

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

I think it may be best for us to not qualify, and for the FAI to try and start things again from the ground up. Not that that will happen. They'll appoint someone like Big Sam and the same old rubbish shall continue. I'd happily miss out on the next few tournaments for the good of the game in future. 

Nah, it'll be the same whether or not we qualify. Look for the next short term manager and rely on England to develop our players, and hope a few from the LOI are gifted enough to make it in England when they get a move. Then hope we get a few decent sorts through grannies.

Nothing will changed at Loi or underage level until Delaney leaves. Being too young for Saipan and having repeat exams during Poland, the Euros in France was the best craic in years, and if we made 2020 - one win and one draw at home would see us through. Result against Spain in Bilbao is irrelevant if we are able to manage the win and draw.

I have respect for O'Neill for what was achieved in France, but his time is obviously up and it's flogging a dead horse at this point. If he leaves after the Nation's League we might have some hope.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic