Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English PL 2018/2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 60>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:50pm
Great win for Liverpool today. They’ll win all their remaining games now and win the league.

Got lucky in a few games but you can’t fluke the league.
Klopp is a great manager.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 14 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm

Sponsored Links

robbo View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Strange decision by Sarri to start Hazard up top today, effectively picking Hudson Odoi over Higuain. The difference it made when Hazard moved out to the left was evident. Liverpool rode their luck yet again. A rare occasion that Hazard would miss both those chances in any other game. Liverpool won't lose a game for the remainder of the season but i also think City won't either.  
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:28am
The minute Benteke was in the starting lineup yesterday, City more or less had the 3 points in the bag. If Palace had 4 or 5 points less on the board, that is a decision Hodgson would never have made, and Palace ended up effectively playing with 10 men for 90 mins. As it was City played well enough and got the job done. As much as Citys PL run has been hugely impressive results wise, there hasn't been much at all to shout about in terms of performance since that trashing of Chelsea a couple of months ago.

Now, it could be a case that Guardiola is doing everything he can to keep the squad fresh and just managing these games was the way forward. There's definitely been a bit of that, rotation and not going for the jugular in a couple of handy PL games shows that. To me, something is slightly off though and has been for a lot of the season. It's hard to pinpoint it, but they just don't seem anything like the side from last season to me. 

Maybe it's the rotation has been stifling them a small bit. I get the sense myself though that a few of their players tanks are nearly empty. Key players like Aguero, David Silva especially. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:52am
It wouldn’t have mattered Hans. City dominated the game totally, whether Benteke or Batshuayi were up front it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference

Had Liverpool put in that performance yesterday at a tricky away ground you’d be purring.

At this stage of the season performances aren't that important. Look at Liverpool recently, they've been squeezing past teams without setting the world alight in the period that you talk of there being something off with City that you can't quite put your finger on.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 15 Apr 2019 at 8:55am
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:27am
i think city will drop points, liverpool will win out their remaining games, they couldnt have asked for an easier run in now the chelsea game is out of the way 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The minute Benteke was in the starting lineup yesterday, City more or less had the 3 points in the bag. If Palace had 4 or 5 points less on the board, that is a decision Hodgson would never have made, and Palace ended up effectively playing with 10 men for 90 mins. 
True that he wouldn't have played if they were still in the dogfight but they've got their results and have earned the right to put out whatever team they want. As Hodgson said afterwards, Benteke will be a Palace player next season, Batshuai will not, so makes sense that he gives his own player the gametime.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:02pm
Oh Hodgson is well within his rights to play anyone. Especially now that Palace are essentially safe. That doesn't change the fact that Bentekes inclusion guaranteed City 3 points. They were playing against 10 men. That is not to say that Palace would have gotten anything from the game, but that selection killed any small chance of a result. City's dominance was as a result of that selection. Again not to say that City wouldn't have been in control of the game but for 60 mins it looked like City were playing a non league side. The obvious thing to do was solidify midfield, Benteke on the bench with another midfield option coming in.

Don't take me for saying that City seem a bit off, as me saying City are poor or anything. I just sense it in games for a lot of the season that they aren't the same. Maybe it's as much rotation and slight tactical tweaks (Liverpool are far more conservative in general this season with far better results), that is throwing me off. I have a nagging feeling though that physically a few players have been a bit off for a part of the season (maybe it's a mental thing, players can look physically tired then as well). Even at that Guardiola has persisted with those same players as much as possible.

We'll learn everything we need to about City in the next 10 days or so. To make  the CL SF and a couple of league wins on the bounce will take big performances imo. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Oh Hodgson is well within his rights to play anyone. Especially now that Palace are essentially safe. That doesn't change the fact that Bentekes inclusion guaranteed City 3 points. They were playing against 10 men. That is not to say that Palace would have gotten anything from the game, but that selection killed any small chance of a result. City's dominance was as a result of that selection. Again not to say that City wouldn't have been in control of the game but for 60 mins it looked like City were playing a non league side. The obvious thing to do was solidify midfield, Benteke on the bench with another midfield option coming in.

Been reading a few tweets from Liverpool fans basically blaming the defeat on Benteke as well.
Laughable stuff.
City were brilliant yesterday and would have beaten Palace comfortably no matter which team was selected.
You could go right through the City team yesterday and bar Aguero the remainder would be 8s out of 10 at least
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:06pm
I haven't read any tweets from anyone saying stuff about Bentekes selection. If they did though, they'd be correct. I sat down 5 mins into the game and if I'd realised Benteke was starting beforehand I would have got on City ht ft, City minus 1 , City minus 2. It was the selection of a manager hoping to get Benteke going again for 1 of 2 reasons - 1. to make him a saleable asset in the summer or 2. to find form so he can be of use next season. Benteke is shot as a player. It's looked that way for 2/3 seasons now since an Achilles/ankle injury iirc. Btw I was a massive fan of him before this injury has effectively crippled him.

I'm not disputing for a second that City deserved their win yesterday. I just thought Palace were appalling. I think Benteke playing was a big part of that as he essentially cannot run anymore and Palace were going to be doing a lot of running yesterday. None of that is a slight on City or how good they were yesterday. I'm not sure how it could be construed in that manner either.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Had Liverpool put in that performance yesterday at a tricky away ground you’d be purring.
Point of information: This season, Selhurst has been anything but "tricky" for visiting sides.

Their home PL record to date is: PL 17  W 4  D 4  L 9  GF 14  GA 20 = 16 points from 51.

Away record is: PL 17  W 7  D 2  L 8  GF 26  GA 26 = 23 points from 51.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:29pm
Somewhat of a bogey teeam for City in recent seasons.
Agree, their home form has been poor this season.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm

It wouldn’t have mattered Hans. City dominated the game totally, whether Benteke or Batshuayi were up front it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference

At this stage of the season performances aren't that important. Look at Liverpool recently, they've been squeezing past teams without setting the world alight in the period that you talk of there being something off with City that you can't quite put your finger on.

City are cruising through so many of these games, that's what the problem is LOL

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm

Er, not really.

Since the start of the 2015/16 season, their record has been as follows:

Selhurst: L 0-1, L 1-2, L 0-3 (FAC), D 0-0, L 1-3;

Etihad: L 5-1 (LC), L 4-0, L 5-0, L 5-0, W 3-2;

Overall: PL 10  W 1  D 1  L 8  GF 6  GA 30.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Er, not really.

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:51pm

Er, not really.

I knew as soon as I posted that that were going to come back with some long winded response looking at the last 5 years or something results  LOL

They beat City at the Etihad in December and were very close to being the first team to beat them last season on New Years Eve when they missed a last minute penalty in a 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park, hence "a bit of a bogey team recently".

Now how are you going to manage a 5 paragraph response to that one?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 15 Apr 2019 at 3:54pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:06pm

Er, not really.

I knew as soon as I posted that that were going to come back with some long winded response looking at the last 5 years or something results  LOL
"Long winded"?
Facts, dear boy, mere facts.

Now how are you going to manage a 5 paragraph response to that one?
Res Ipsa Loquitur Wink

Edited by Territorial - 15 Apr 2019 at 4:07pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:35pm
Very surprised to see Spurs have actually lost 3 more games than United this season. 10 games?! Thought it was about  6 tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:28pm
They've lost the most out of the top 6, but have only drawn 1 game all season.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 60>
  Share Topic