Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group C- FRA/AUS/PER/DEN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

We are not average. We are f**king atrocious.

It would be a complete embarrassment if we were playing in the WC.

Completely agree. A lot of dreamers on here 
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:28pm
I don't think we'd have gotten battered in this group like we did in 2012. None of us would be labelling ourselves embarrassing or think that will embarrass ourselves in this group had we qualified. There'd still have been criticism and concern regarding our style of play under O'Neill, but two major tournament qualifications in a row would have had a much different atmosphere on here. We'd probably have fancied 4 points against Peru and Australia before we had to play France in the final game and hopefully sneak a draw.

People keep saying how we've declined since EURO 2016 but we were hardly setting the world alight in the qualification group for that tournament either. I don't think we played or were much worse in this qualification group (playoffs against Bosnia and Denmark aside) than that one (we did finish 2nd in this one and 3rd in the last one) 

That Denmark result isn't indicative of how we've done overall under O'Neill where as poor as we are to watch, our style of play was tolerated by most of us while it resulted in success. It's not like we were always getting hammered 5-1 in competitive games under O'Neill. One qualification and a playoff spot out of two campaigns is a good return by any measure. One game where a catastrophic tactical error cost us going to the world cup shouldn't completely disguise our team's achievements under O'Neill. 

I think had we qualified and without the cloud of a 5-1 hammering over our head we'd have had a fair chance (50/50) of getting out of the group. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Completely agree. A lot of dreamers on here 

I'm not entirely convinced that we couldnt represent ourselves reasonably well at the World Cup. I would make the following points.

1.By the time we met Denmark we were down Coleman, McCarthy and Walters. We also had Shane Long sitting on the bench and struggling for goalscoring form. That was a major blow, and would effect any team.

2.Our tactics had become more and more blunderbuss as the qualification tournament went on. By the time we met Denmark in Dublin we were anchored by Duffy, Meyler, and Murphy, with a very flat and bypassed midfield, and we were expecting McClean to continue to be our inspiration (and had he scored from his breakaway things could have been different).

3.The extent of the defeat was totally compounded by decisions to withdraw Meyler and Arter for Hoolahan and McGeady, and then taking out Clark rather than Ward or Christie. The first half outcome was a result of poor mentality, the second half was the product of poor tactics. I am not a football manager, but I would always have thought the most sensible approch would have been to withdraw Christie and Ward, and replace them with Hoolahan and Long, with Brady and Meyler dropping back into defence. An equaliser could have changed the course of the game before introducing McGeady to try and run directly at the Danish defence.

4.I appreciate that we certainly got numerous rubs of the green during qualification, but we were difficult to beat at the same time.

I would like to think that at full strength we should be able to remain competitive, and that we are not as bad as the Denmark game suggested. But I think trust needs to be vested in the team to actually play ball. As ive said, this World Cup has shown me that defensive systems can be employed without playing the type of football we have been.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
not to rehash old arguments but Georgia home and away was an absolute disgrace of a performance 

Goal aside we did nothing away to Wales going forward and home v Wales Serbia and Austria was embarrassing as a goal threat

Tactics - there aren’t any just lump it forward 

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

not to rehash old arguments but Georgia home and away was an absolute disgrace of a performance 

Goal aside we did nothing away to Wales going forward and home v Wales Serbia and Austria was embarrassing as a goal threat

And the fact that we picked up one point against two ten-man teams in Dublin needed to be examined. I think the players we have are good enough to make us competitive and play reasonably attractive football. But the tactics HAVE to change. The bypassing of midfield is our major problem.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

And the fact that we picked up one point against two ten-man teams in Dublin needed to be examined. I think the players we have are good enough to make us competitive and play reasonably attractive football. But the tactics HAVE to change. The bypassing of midfield is our major problem.
This is what I mean. We’re along ball team who dunno how to play long ball. We were very lucky to get to the playoffs and would be nowhere near the required standard in Russia. 
Heart can only get you so far in football

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:09pm

This is what I mean. We’re along ball team who dunno how to play long ball. We were very lucky to get to the playoffs and would be nowhere near the required standard in Russia. 

I actually think its the type of long ball we play is the major issue. When we actually started making inroads against Austria in Dublin was when we brought on Murph to join Walters at the top. But for most of the group we separated our one striker from the midfield, which seemed to be dropping very deep, was bypassed anyway, and was unwilling to put its foot on the ball. The hoof ball was being played to an isolated striker, who was easily swallowed up on arrival.

When I really think about it, its a very limited, limited form of football.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:20pm

I actually think its the type of long ball we play is the major issue. When we actually started making inroads against Austria in Dublin was when we brought on Murph to join Walters at the top. But for most of the group we separated our one striker from the midfield, which seemed to be dropping very deep, was bypassed anyway, and was unwilling to put its foot on the ball. The hoof ball was being played to an isolated striker, who was easily swallowed up on arrival.

When I really think about it, its a very limited, limited form of football.
Agreed. I don’t have a major issue with playing long ball, it is effective when used correctly as you say. 
Obviously I’d prefer to see play some football but I’d take anything over what we have currently (last 18/24 months)

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:21pm

We were lucky in some ways but desperately unlucky with injuries at the same time. 

That world cup group isn't as difficult imo as the Euro 2016 one which we did well to get out of. Played well in the Sweden and Italian games. There's no reason why we couldn't have done as well as we did in France. Didn't see much of the Denmark-Peru game but I'd imagine we'd have had our backs to the wall in that and hope to get a draw. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

We were lucky in some ways but desperately unlucky with injuries at the same time. 

That world cup group isn't as difficult imo as the Euro 2016 one which we did well to get out of. Played well in the Sweden and Italian games. There's no reason why we couldn't have done as well as we did in France. Didn't see much of the Denmark-Peru game but I'd imagine we'd have had our backs to the wall in that and hope to get a draw. 

Peru would have had a field day on us if we employed the tactics that we have been. Their profligacy in front of goal might have been our saving grace, but I suspect they would have had double the chances the had, as we would have invited them onto us, and you can only get lucky so many times. They really attacked and played flair football where some of the more "workmanlike" members of the squad would have struggled to compete with.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:39pm

Agreed. I don’t have a major issue with playing long ball, it is effective when used correctly as you say. 
Obviously I’d prefer to see play some football but I’d take anything over what we have currently (last 18/24 months)

Jack played long ball with Quinn and Cascarino playing alongside David Kelly, John Aldridge, or Tommy Coyne (i'm not sure how tall John Byrne was). Before Mick went to the highly technically gifted frontline of Keane and Duff, he used Quinn and Cascarino in the same role, and Quinn happened to be a particularly gifted player with the ball on the ground. Trappatoni obviously liked it too, with Doyle playing as a form of target man.

The difficulty currently is that there is the target man, but not always the man to reach the drop offs, and with the disconnect it is a futile strategy. If Long or Maguire plays off Walters that would make a lot more sense if the long ball will be employed.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:43pm
Some of ye need to let it go lads. Denmark beat us fair and square in the play offs. People's viewpoints of the quality of their team is seriously being effected by the green tinted glasses. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Some of ye need to let it go lads. Denmark beat us fair and square in the play offs. People's viewpoints of the quality of their team is seriously being effected by the green tinted glasses. 
Spot on.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:46pm

I wouldnt disagree. But I think there is a debate as to whether tactics are limiting players who might otherwise do much better. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:51pm

I wouldnt disagree. But I think there is a debate as to whether tactics are limiting players who might otherwise do much better. 
I'm sick of saying it, but we need a midfielder. We will never do anything without one.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

[QUOTE=Het-field]
I'm sick of saying it, but we need a midfielder. We will never do anything without one.

And apart from Coleman, we lack a truly outstanding player who can control a game, or at least bring a mature, cool head to proceedings. And really, you need that in midfield or at centre back. In fact, I think Steven Reid was our last outstanding centre mid.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:02pm
Can this discussion not be moved elsewhere LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We have multiple midfielders playing the EPL.

Why, when they put on the green jersey they can't complete a basic pass is a question that needs to be asked.

Have a look at how well some of the weaker teams in the WC are playing, with players playing in not so strong leagues.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic