Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

France v IRELAND Match Thread, 28/05/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Nobody expected Ireland to beat France last night. I, and probably some others, expected a bad defeat, but the weather intervened and the French were happy with a couple of goals.

However what we hoped to see was a decent performance to give us a bit of hope for the future. The result didn't matter, we just wanted to see a few passes made, a clever set-piece, a couple of shots on target even. Anything at all!

The best forward pass we made in the game was Burke to Judge. So maybe that's the little bit of hope. A LOI player getting a chance and not looking out of place.

But overall we got the exact same as we've gotten for a while now, with perhaps the exception of Serbia at home.

Long balls to an isolated forward. We conceded from a corner kick for the third game in a row. We passed the ball out of play alot. Trying to win territory with throw-ins. Our traditional one shot on target. 

The only thing we didn't do that we normally do was a Duffy long range pass into the stands.

And I agree with whoever said put Duffy up front. Long is not a target man. If we are going to keeping lumping the ball forward, then do it right. Let Duffy play that role and have Long make runs off of him. The big man, quick man combination.

And this game was not a nothing game. There are too few games in international football to think that friendlies are pointless.

This in unfortunately something we haven't had since Quinn retired in 2002
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:50pm
Just cos the likes of Brady, Hendrick, Ward (on the way out anyhow), McCarthy are absent doesn't mean we can't at least try to play some constructive football.

We don't and I'm sick of having my eyes burned by opt-out tactics.  Most of the long(ish) balls went out to touch or to nobody, we can't even do that right. 

I was actually almost hoping Burke wouldn't get on in case the same experience befell him as Jason Byrne in Poland.  Thankfully Burke got a good few touches and used them reasonably well.

I've watched Hourihane several times now for Villa and Ireland, he doesn't convince me at all.  Rice has great promise, Derek Williams might be a replacement for Ward, Duffy is now a stalwart, O'Dowda has talent, Arter proved he can do a job in the past, but for Jaysus sake what's wrong with allowing them to play the ball on the fooking ground a bit?

McCarthy came in with massive shoes to fill in Charlton, inherited some ageing stars and mostly young pups.  Mick's philosophy was to play football on the deck and the team was a very easy one on the eye.  Our underage teams seem to playing in a similarly progressive way recently.  Why then is O'Neill getting away with this abomination of style?

If we see the same sh*te on Saturday against the Yanks..............Angry
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Just cos the likes of Brady, Hendrick, Ward (on the way out anyhow), McCarthy are absent doesn't mean we can't at least try to play some constructive football.

We don't and I'm sick of having my eyes burned by opt-out tactics.  Most of the long(ish) balls went out to touch or to nobody, we can't even do that right. 

I was actually almost hoping Burke wouldn't get on in case the same experience befell him as Jason Byrne in Poland.  Thankfully Burke got a good few touches and used them reasonably well.

I've watched Hourihane several times now for Villa and Ireland, he doesn't convince me at all.  Rice has great promise, Derek Williams might be a replacement for Ward, Duffy is now a stalwart, O'Dowda has talent, Arter proved he can do a job in the past, but for Jaysus sake what's wrong with allowing them to play the ball on the fooking ground a bit?

McCarthy came in with massive shoes to fill in Charlton, inherited some ageing stars and mostly young pups.  Mick's philosophy was to play football on the deck and the team was a very easy one on the eye.  Our underage teams seem to playing in a similarly progressive way recently.  Why then is O'Neill getting away with this abomination of style?

These 2 guys have been dining out on their Euro 2016 displays the last 18 months and have made no real difference to the team whether in or out,  so their inclusion is a moot point. 

**to continue my O'Neill bashing, I do think the magnification of their underwhelming displays is (like most Irish players) inextricably linked to not having a bull's notion what their job should be**

Edited by Banjaxed - 29 May 2018 at 4:01pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:09pm
What 'young pups' should MON pick? What Mick had available to him, even at the beginning, is miles away from MON.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:15pm
He's picking young pups but he's not encouraging them to pass the fooking ball, that's the difference.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:16pm

Given the strategy we employ when in possession, I think we should give up on the whole notion of passing the ball or picking any midfielders at all and shift to a 7-0-3 formation. If chasing a goal late on, we could progress to a 6-0-1-3 with one in the hole looking to pick up breaking ball. Defensive players should then be selected based on how good they are at getting in the way and then lumping it as soon as we get possession. Our playing pool could easily be extended to include the Tyrone and Donegal GAA panels. I would switch Duffy from centre half to our main striker and I'd play Maguire and Hogan/Long off him to get a bit of pace either side of our main man. 

Thoughts?
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:21pm

He's picking young pups but he's not encouraging them to pass the fooking ball, that's the difference.
Can they? They can't even hoof it right, what makes you think they can pass it?
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:22pm
Martin can pick who he wishes but unless he has a game plan we’re just going to be watching the same display over and over. Just a basic plan would do they can improvise within that, ffs they’re big boys now. Just look terrified all the time, management have to share the blame here
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

These 2 guys have been dining out on their Euro 2016 displays the last 18 months and have made no real difference to the team whether in or out,  so their inclusion is a moot point. 

**to continue my O'Neill bashing, I do think the magnification of their underwhelming displays is (like most Irish players) inextricably linked to not having a bull's notion what their job should be**

Whatever about Hendrick, Robbie Brady has been played out of position so many times that I'm not sure if he even knows what his job is within the team. 

He is an out and out left-winger who has found himself playing left-back and centre midfield. James McClean needs to be dropped and we need to see Robbie on the left and perhaps Callum O'Dowda on the right, with a combative midfield made up of three players out of McCarthy, Hendrick, Meyler, Arter and possibly Browne. 

Clearly our midfielders aren't particularly creative, so why not revert to a very traditional Irish tactic of getting the ball out to two wingers who can swing the ball into the box? This is the role that Brady thrives in at club level, while O'Dowda is only a young lad and has a decent amount of potential.  

Callum Robinson may also offer a threat on the right hand side. 

Obviously this would be a limited tactic that would probably struggle to break down stronger teams but we're already not getting enough out of our players so we should be trying something.

Brady's form is completely down to mismanagement, poor tactics and general disorganisation. I've no explanation for Jeff Hendricks form, clearly there's a decent player in there somewhere it's up to the management team to get him to express it.

What do people think our strongest starting eleven is? We've had so many injuries and poorly timed friendlies that I'm not sure if anyone including MONROY know what our best side is and I don't even mean that as a dig at them. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:41pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a back five when all are fit, no wing-backs either! Duffy, Rice and Long/Clark might like pace in the centre but would give us a solid base at the back.
Brady wide left, O'Dowda wide right and anybody in the middle as they are all much of a muchness! Maybe that was the logic behind the substitutions at half-time against Denmark!
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by randydaza randydaza wrote:

Originally posted by el2nz el2nz wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

the utter indifference everyone has for these upcoming friendlies. I'd say the American game will be really low unless the weather is cracking

The FAI know this, which is why they're wheeling John O'Shea out for a farewell game and trying to market it that way.

Whats with the kick off time of 8:08 for the USA game? would have thought a 5 o'clock kick off would have got a better turnout. Not many folks would fancy driving back down the country after the game on a bank holiday weekend, or is kick off time still TBC?

Yea kick off time for the weekend isn’t great but the 8:08 has been driven by tv times in the states. Don’t expect more the 35k for this one 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:03pm
35k? Will there be anywhere near that? Or do you mean the official figure given? I would have guessed at half that.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

35k? Will there be anywhere near that? Or do you mean the official figure given? I would have guessed at half that.

That’s my guess what they’ll announce but can’t see the actual attendance been that 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:23pm

25k will be the max I’d say. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:34pm

Can they? They can't even hoof it right, what makes you think they can pass it?

Well if the manager allowed we'd see if they can. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:38pm
Is there anything to be said for  saying another mass ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
DonkeyOatey View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonkeyOatey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:42pm
Its depressing stuff to watch. Nothing inspirational, nothing to get the fans going, nobody really driving the team on, demanding a higher standard. It reminds me of what James McClean said about Pardew recently. He said that under Pulis, they were well drilled and knew exactly what was expected of them and what their role was, where to be. He said all Pardew did was tell them to go out and express themselves, play with freedom and it backfired, no tactics so to speak. Then when Moore came back in after Pardew, he said they worked hard and are far more drilled, everyone knows their role again and their end of season results speak for themselves. If what we hear about MON is true with regard to not telling the team a formation, just handing out jerseys 45 mins before kick off, not working with the starting 11 and subs on the training ground, then I don't see this getting any better. We look clueless out there.

Edited by DonkeyOatey - 29 May 2018 at 5:48pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by DonkeyOatey DonkeyOatey wrote:

Its depressing stuff to watch. Nothing inspirational, nothing to get the fans going, nobody really driving the team on, demanding a higher standard. It reminds me of what James McClean said about Pardew recently. He said that under Pulis, they were well drilled and knew exactly what was expected of them and what their role was, where to be. He said all Pardew did was tell them to go out and express themselves, play with freedom and it backfired, no tactics so to speak. Then when Moore came back in after Pardew, he said they worked hard and are far more drilled, everyone knows their role again and their end of season results speak for themselves. If what we here about MON is true with regard to not telling the team a formation, just handing out jerseys 45 mins before kick off, not working with the starting 11 and subs on the training ground, then I don't see this getting any better. We look clueless out there.

Why don't the players simply come out and just say it as it is? Surely they can't be happy playing under the current conditions, and MON always drops them in it by saying he doesn't have good players available to him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic