Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee O'Connor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee O'Connor
    Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 11:09am
Can't find a thread about this lad. Getting rave reviews for the Man Utd U-18s this season and has also made the step up to the U-23s.

Sponsored Links

gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Can't find a thread about this lad. Getting rave reviews for the Man Utd U-18s this season and has also made the step up to the U-23s.

He's quality. Yet to find a position though. Can play fullback, centre back or midfield. Bosses all three. Same club O'Shea came from
Danger here, OH NO
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:19pm
JOS played for Waterford Bohs, Lee O'Connor came from Villa FC (different Waterford junior club), though both clubs play practically beside each other in the Poleberry area of Waterford. I know a few of the underage Villa coaches, they are naturally very proud of Lee and his achievements so far .

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

JOS played for Waterford Bohs, Lee O'Connor came from Villa FC (different Waterford junior club), though both clubs play practically beside each other in the Poleberry area of Waterford. I know a few of the underage Villa coaches, they are naturally very proud of Lee and his achievements so far .

Knew it was the same area. I remember reading a few years ago about him. Could get a cup run out next season for United
Danger here, OH NO
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
He'll possibly be a bit short to make the breakthrough at centre-back. In any case, he'd be wasted there; with his technical ability he'd be best utilised in midfield.
We're decent enough..
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He'll possibly be a bit short to make the breakthrough at centre-back. In any case, he'd be wasted there; with his technical ability he'd be best utilised in midfield.

Not even 18 yet. If he's anything like McTominay he's a good bit to grow yet

Edited by gmfc90 - 31 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
Danger here, OH NO
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:48pm
He's 18 in 3 months, in a scientific sense, your average person is between 95-100% grown at that age. I'd say he'd be doing exceptionally well to reach 6'0. Not that that would stop him becoming a top class centre back, it'll just makes it a bit more difficult to convince certain managers (like Mourinho, who likes his defenders tall) to give him a chance there.

Edited by The O'Shea - 31 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm
Cannavaro was 5"9.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm

Lads physically develop at different rates.
Also the gym can play its part. Look at Gareth Bale or Ronaldo when they were 18 compared to now.
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Cannavaro was 5"9.

He was, what's your point?
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Lads physically develop at different rates.
Also the gym can play its part. Look at Gareth Bale or Ronaldo when they were 18 compared to now.

They certainly do. However, Gareth Bale and Ronaldo were both over 6'0 at 18. They may have filled out significantly, but you can't work in the gym to grow taller. It'll be difficult for O'Connor to get a chance at centre-back unless he grows 3-4 inches simply because there's a bias towards taller centre backs, in the same way as there's a bias towards taller goalkeepers, faster wingers, and so on.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm
What height is he? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:34pm
5'8/5'9 I believe.
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 2:57pm

5'8/5'9 I believe.

He'd be doing very well to reach about 5'11 I'd say.

But is height really that important for centre halves in the modern game? 

We're seeing an abundance of so called ball playing centre halves these days, and if O'Connor has the technical ability to make up for his lack of height, then he'll be OK. 

There's lads like around at the moment like John Stones, or even that Christensen lad who played for Denmark against us. Both are fairly tall and good on the ball, but are pretty weak at defending aerial set-pieces.

Does O'Connor happen to have a GAA background? He doesn't look to shirk from tackles in any clips I've watched of him. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:51pm

Cannavaro was 5"9.

That you don't have to be 6"+ to be a good player.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm

Cannavaro was 5"9.

That you don't have to be 6"+ to be a good player.

No one said you did. I merely said it's more difficult to convince managers to give you chance.
We're decent enough..
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 5:37pm
Plays for the North according to the Daily Star.

Man Utd fans hail young star Lee O'Connor after this epic lob for Northern Ireland U19s:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video
SimonCox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Plays for the North according to the Daily Star.

Man Utd fans hail young star Lee O'Connor after this epic lob for Northern Ireland U19s:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/691559/Man-Utd-news-Lee-OConnor-goal-Northern-Ireland-European-Championships-video

I dunno what that is about. 

He was playing for our U19s last week in the elite qualifiers. 

Edited by SimonCox - 31 Mar 2018 at 8:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic