You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Padraig Padraig wrote:

Originally posted by Padraig Padraig wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What are people's thoughts about the abortion on-demand for less than 12 weeks?

I posted previously that these people would travel to the UK to get this done anyway, but thinking about it, people who want to do drugs travel to Amsterdam, doesn't mean we should bring it in here. 

Think the repealers need to come up with a better argument than "shure they can do it in England anyway". It should be the right thing to do on its own right.

I don't think that is the argument. And I don't like the phrase 'abortion on demand', as if it's something unreasonable and not a common medical procedure. Why should women be forced to be pregnant? Would you like to be forced to be pregnant? (Assuming you're not a woman) That's the reality of the 8th Amendment and the effect that it has.

If people don't like abortions happening, vote repeal. Countries with legal abortion have less abortions than those without.

I've heard something like that before and I can understand why that would be the case but at the same time you can't just be throwing out statements like that without any links to back it

Myth no. 3 here in this link https://www.abortionrightscampaign.ie/2016/08/07/8-myths/

Thanks but I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in that, it's like comparing apples and oranges by comparing abortion rates in third world countries to western Europe. I'd also like to know where they got their figures for considering these are illegal abortions in Africa and Latin America that they are reporting on or is it an element of guesswork? Or do they go to another jurisdiction like they do in Ireland? If they can credibly get these figures then I'd like to know what the figures are for Ireland. Comparing Ireland with western European countries would be comparing like with like. It probably isn't that hard actually and the figures are probably out there, considering that it would simply be a case of getting the NHS to provide the amount of abortions provided to women with Irish addresses.

Abortion was legalised in Switzerland in 2002 and the rate has decreased : http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/ab-switzerland.html

Some more reading https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/fertility-matters_the-secret-of-switzerland-s-low-abortion-rate/33585760

Edited by Padraig - 29 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 1:52pm
Cheers Thumbs Up
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 5:42pm

Cheers Thumbs Up

No bother!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:02pm
The poster race is on. With posters going up around Ireland the campaign is going to ramp up.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:04pm
Was down in Kerry at the weekend and saw some stats on posters for the "No" campaign that I couldn't quite believe. Was reading today that these stats are basically not true. This type of thing doesn't help anyone. 

Edited by Borussia - 10 Apr 2018 at 4:10pm
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Was down in Kerry at the weekend and saw some stats on posters for the "No" campaign that I couldn't quote believe. Was reading today that these stats are basically not true. This type of thing doesn't help anyone. 

it does. take brexit. the brexit bus was total b0llox but helped them win the referendum. 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

Was down in Kerry at the weekend and saw some stats on posters for the "No" campaign that I couldn't quote believe. Was reading today that these stats are basically not true. This type of thing doesn't help anyone. 

it does. take brexit. the brexit bus was total b0llox but helped them win the referendum. 

And many of those who voted for Brexit will end up worse off in the end - Which is what I was getting at.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm
Irish referendum posters have a history of stretching credibility. In some cases they have relied on hyperbolised statements, which when the surface is scratched are totally irrelevant to the referendum itself.

It could be a very interesting study to look at historical posters and actually determine on a fact-check basis whether their contents is factually accurate, or even relevant to the referendum.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:11pm

Was down in Kerry at the weekend and saw some stats on posters for the "No" campaign that I couldn't quite believe. Was reading today that these stats are basically not true. This type of thing doesn't help anyone. 

Do you have a link to that? I was thinking there is no way one in five pregnancies (or babies as they called it) England is aborted.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Do you have a link to that? I was thinking there is no way one in five pregnancies (or babies as they called it) England is aborted.

I think there was a story on breakingnews.ie about it. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:19pm
Pat Leahy had an interesting article in the IT about the fact that the Repeal Campaign are already starting behind the anti-repeal campaign.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Irish referendum posters have a history of stretching credibility. In some cases they have relied on hyperbolised statements, which when the surface is scratched are totally irrelevant to the referendum itself.

It could be a very interesting study to look at historical posters and actually determine on a fact-check basis whether their contents is factually accurate, or even relevant to the referendum.
If done right that is a book I would certainly buy, it would be fascinating.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:26pm

Have a look at Aoibhinn Ni Shuillabhain's twitter. She went to town on it, it's actually 1.6%, not 20% that are aborted. There was something pedantic about the poster referring to number of women who get pregnant rather than number of pregnancies, but it's definitely not 20% anyway
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

A google search of Irish referendum posters is worth doing. The cringy slogans, the economic and social hyperbole, and the downright lies. Its amazing that anybody makes up their minds on these things based on sound factual reason.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Have a look at Aoibhinn Ni Shuillabhain's twitter. She went to town on it, it's actually 1.6%, not 20% that are aborted. There was something pedantic about the poster referring to number of women who get pregnant rather than number of pregnancies, but it's definitely not 20% anyway

Going by the stats on that thread then the claim is actually true and can be backed up, would not have guessed that
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A google search of Irish referendum posters is worth doing. The cringy slogans, the economic and social hyperbole, and the downright lies. Its amazing that anybody makes up their minds on these things based on sound factual reason.
There should be no posters, posturing or campaigning of any kind for any vote at all. A booklet should be sent out with the views put forward, by both sides in the case of a referendum, by the local candidates in the case of election.
It really is bizarre how this behaviour is somehow viewed as democratic.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm

There should be no posters, posturing or campaigning of any kind for any vote at all. A booklet should be sent out with the views put forward, by both sides in the case of a referendum, by the local candidates in the case of election.
It really is bizarre how this behaviour is somehow viewed as democratic.

I would love to keep Politicians and NGO's with an agenda out of the debate. I would much rather experts, along with the Referendum Commission's booklet debate these issues, which would avoid the muddying of the waters that happens when people with an emotional or political interest get involved. I feel what will make this a particularly dirty debate is the voices of those least qualified to speak on the issue, on both sides.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:17pm
There should be a moratorium in the media from the day the election/referendum is called until the polls are closed. All relative information should be easily accessible and people should be allowed to make up their own mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 42>
  Share Topic