You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

One repeal the 8th t shirt in Munich airport. 
She said nibody had asked her about it.

The poor girl ,she better get onto Facebook asap 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

All opinions aside on how people will vote. Both sides of the campaign do my head in. Smug Know alls, rarely deal with logical facts, over simplify everything and only spout the stats/facts that suit their argument.

Its an incredibly deep and complex topic that should be treated as such.
The subject of abortion is. 

The subject of the 8th Amendment isn't - it's actually a very simple topic to grasp. 

It's simple because the 8th Amendment is a total disaster with no redeeming features - the decision to get rid of it should be a very easy one for people to make. 

The redeeming feature is its seeking to protect a life (if you believe it is a life) with equal regard to the life of a mother in the highest law of the land. The Constitution

It is flawed. But without it The new constitution will only protect born people. 
The Supreme Court has ruled that a zygote/embryo/foetus has no other right other than the right to life as per the 8th Amendment.

But the concept of a zygote/embryo/foetus having equal right to life to the born woman who is carrying it is utterly preposterous.

It is not a redeeming feature - it is the flaw. 

The constitution should only protect born people. 

There is such a thing as the legislature to enact laws that give some protection to the unborn. 

But you can't give equal rights in a situation where the rights directly compete

One has to take primacy, and this, obviously, should be the mother.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:10pm
The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland is backing a No vote in the referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

The 30,000-strong membership of the Protestant fraternity is mainly based in Northern Ireland but several hundred members are based in the Republic, an Orange Order spokesman said.

On Thursday, a Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland statement recommended “all those voting on this sensitive issue reflect on what abortion is and read what God says about the sanctity of human life”.

It said: “As we approach the referendum on the repeal of the Eighth Amendment on the Constitution of the Republic of Ireland we call upon our members, supporters and friends - eligible to exercise their democratic right - to vote No.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/orange-order-calls-for-no-vote-in-abortion-referendum-1.3507322

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

LOL

I'm a Yes voter and I'm sick of the amount of men and women fishing for likes on social media because of what they're voting, attention seeking of the highest order. Just exercise your right to vote and shut up going on about it.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

I'm a Yes voter and I'm sick of the amount of men and women fishing for likes on social media because of what they're voting, attention seeking of the highest order. Just exercise your right to vote and shut up going on about it.

LOL the amount of lads doing it knowing full well their just tryna look like great lads with women

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland is backing a No vote in the referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

The 30,000-strong membership of the Protestant fraternity is mainly based in Northern Ireland but several hundred members are based in the Republic, an Orange Order spokesman said.

On Thursday, a Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland statement recommended “all those voting on this sensitive issue reflect on what abortion is and read what God says about the sanctity of human life”.

It said: “As we approach the referendum on the repeal of the Eighth Amendment on the Constitution of the Republic of Ireland we call upon our members, supporters and friends - eligible to exercise their democratic right - to vote No.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/orange-order-calls-for-no-vote-in-abortion-referendum-1.3507322

Nice to see they acknowledge our wee part of the island and it's constitution
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:31pm

All opinions aside on how people will vote. Both sides of the campaign do my head in. Smug Know alls, rarely deal with logical facts, over simplify everything and only spout the stats/facts that suit their argument.

The subject of the 8th Amendment isn't - it's actually a very simple topic to grasp. 

It's simple because the 8th Amendment is a total disaster with no redeeming features - the decision to get rid of it should be a very easy one for people to make. 

The redeeming feature is its seeking to protect a life (if you believe it is a life) with equal regard to the life of a mother in the highest law of the land. The Constitution

It is flawed. But without it The new constitution will only protect born people. 
The Supreme Court has ruled that a zygote/embryo/foetus has no other right other than the right to life as per the 8th Amendment.

But the concept of a zygote/embryo/foetus having equal right to life to the born woman who is carrying it is utterly preposterous.

There is such a thing as the legislature to enact laws that give some protection to the unborn. 

But you can't give equal rights in a situation where the rights directly compete

But they are not always competing. It is the minority if cases they compete and I would agree with you in those circumstances.

Anyway I won't argue and it was never my intention to.
Best of luck to everyone voting. For me it's a private matter. It's big decision .and each to their own.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

counting tonight or tomorrow 
I'd worry if they were counting tonightLOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

counting tonight or tomorrow 
I'd worry if they were counting tonightLOL
If Fianna Fail are involved, the counting will have started last Tuesday.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 12:18am

But they are not always competing. It is the minority if cases they compete and I would agree with you in those circumstances.

Anyway I won't argue and it was never my intention to.
Best of luck to everyone voting. For me it's a private matter. It's big decision .and each to their own.

Because the majority of pregnancies are healthy, most people don't think of the right to life of the mother versus the right to life of the unborn set out by the Eighth Amendment as competing rights. 

But they are because one is entirely dependent on the other and the right to life of the mother can be compromised by the right to life of the unborn.

I imagine legislations for "exceptions" would be a legal minefield and easily picked apart in the Supreme Court and there would very likely be an Irish Roe v Wade - which was exactly what why the Catholic religious right wanted the Eighth Amendment brought in in the first place.

Far better to get it right first time and bring in comprehensive legislation that accounts for all cases.

Edited by sid waddell - 25 May 2018 at 12:21am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:47am
I hope today that every man stands beside the women of this country. I know I certainly will.

Abortions will happen regardless of what way the vote goes .Let’s make sure the women of Ireland can have the care and support needed at home. 

We are not voting for abortions, we are voting for choice.  Women have suffered enough in this country.  

#togetherforyes #repealthe8th #voteyes
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:52am
Huge amount of people at the polling station at 7am, 15 deep at one ballot box, took me ten mins to vote 
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Huge amount of people at the polling station at 7am, 15 deep at one ballot box, took me ten mins to vote 

Won't be going myself until after work. Hopefully it'll be quiet enough
Danger here, OH NO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:03am

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

...the author is advocating ammending the current Article in the constitution as opposed to ridding of it.
Impossible to do that - three former attorney generals have said it's impossible and any basic reading of the wording by a lay person shows it's impossible to amend it.
it is definitely possible to amend the constitution. A Yes vote will do that
Where did I say it wasn't possible to amend the constitution?
The bits abov
e.
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:31am
thank god this thing is nearly over. terrible debate and it's thrown up the worst in our people. including many on here...

i think everyone of us would agree that the current system of dealing with abortion is deeply flawed and needs change. 

anyway if you're lucky enough to have a vote don't waste it. today is a huge day for our nation. hopefully tomorrow is not a day of gloating.

final note, saw this last night and had to laugh (and i stress i am not trying to urge people to vote No by sharing!!).

LOL gotta love the old irish hoes.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I hope today that every man stands beside the women of this country. I know I certainly will.

Abortions will happen regardless of what way the vote goes .Let’s make sure the women of Ireland can have the care and support needed at home. 

We are not voting for abortions, we are voting for choice.  Women have suffered enough in this country.  

#togetherforyes #repealthe8th #voteyes

I agree with all, save for the part about not voting for abortion. I did think that way, but realised that was not the case given the intent to legislate post referendum, in the event of a vote for repeal. Abortion does follow a yes vote (unless the legislature is more fractured on the matter)

Now, that does not mean that the need to legislate for choice in the matter is non existent or undesirable. Also, to bring the matter onto a medical footing is also important. Also, it will conclude the savage hypocrisy of exporting and outsourcing our termination processes to the United Kingdom.

Look, this is not akin to the marriage referendum. Unlike that which ultimately concludes with a wonderful marriage and a party, for the vast majority termination of pregnancy is the saddest and most grief stricken moments of their life. And the emotions that follow are the ones that nobody should wish on others. It can be a lonely, dark experience which will be some of the saddest days of a life, and for a multitude of potential reasons. But at least, if you can remove the stigma, the class factor, and the hypocrisy from the equation, you have done something right.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:09am
What's the thoughts on the final outcome lads? I just had a €20 bet with a lad in work. 

He reckons the Yes vote will be 60%+. 
I think he's mad and that it's going to be a very tight win for the Yes but it's got to be 59% or below.
Am I going to be €20 up?

El Puto Amo
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:12am

...the author is advocating ammending the current Article in the constitution as opposed to ridding of it.
Impossible to do that - three former attorney generals have said it's impossible and any basic reading of the wording by a lay person shows it's impossible to amend it.
it is definitely possible to amend the constitution. A Yes vote will do that
Where did I say it wasn't possible to amend the constitution?
The bits abov
e.
You need to read a bit harder.

Also, try not to leave out bits of quotes to make yourself look better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 42>
  Share Topic