You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Returned to same train station on my way home. Loads of flyers found in bins or left behind.

I hope you cleaned them up - There are Tidy Towns awards at stake here !

You'll be glad to know chief it was a different station. Skerries wasn't targeted........yet
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The Save the 8th seem to be a pack of headbangers but the pro-abortion side are just as bad IMO. Plastering the word "Repeal" across tshirts rather than tacking the hard arguments of leaglising abortion. A t-shirt with "Abortion" across the front isn't wuite as good for your instagram it seems! 

and again. why is it people on the YES side, struggle to post/ debate without insulting people who might be inclined/ considering a NO vote.. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I'll be voting yes but bit worried about how far ahead the No side are with posters in Dublin, much more of them, they're better produced and I think are more likely to sway undecided (there are some people who will be swayed by posters amazingly). Yes side far behind and posters they do have are crap.

North Dublin was covered with same poster for the No side claiming something along the lines of abortion up to 6 months will be allowed etc. No other design or argument, and it was up everywhere

Pass 5/6 different ones on the way to work, all well designed and on virtually every lamppost.

Pass two different Yes ones on, at most, 6 lampposts, all poorly designed with terrible wording - 'sometimes a private matter needs public support' being one.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
I think what has made it easier to poster and leaflet for the "Save the 8th" campaign is that it generally is reliant on the arguments that have been put forward for years. It doesn't take huge amounts of ingenuity to come up with the arguments, and as expected is resorting to the emotive argument.

The Pro-repeal side need to be far more analytical in the way they present their argument. Particularly as they know that arguing the case on the liberalisation of abortion services will only appeal to a small section of the public, which will fall well short of carrying the vote. It needs to focus on the grey areas, and the anomalies created by the 8th, while also putting forward the human rights cases, and the opinions of the Doctors and Lawyers who understand the implications of the 8th better than anybody else.

I actually think the Repeal Campaign has been impressively mobilised, and it has not taken much to get it going. I think it will go from strength to strength over the next few weeks, and any bad polls will mobilise people who might otherwise have stayed at home rather than knock on doors. Historically, the campaign for liberalisation of abortion services has been awfully disjointed and haphazard, and incapable of a single message. This is a new approach which will get even better.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 11:59am
There is still a fear in some people for showing support to the Yes side of the argument too. I work directly with young people (alot of whom are the age to vote) and we have been told by the board we must show a neutral stance on the issue at all times, this wasn't the case for previous votes and referendums.

Imo this has happened for fear of backlash no matter what side of the argument they may have picked. 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

There is still a fear in some people for showing support to the Yes side of the argument too. I work directly with young people (alot of whom are the age to vote) and we have been told by the board we must show a neutral stance on the issue at all times, this wasn't the case for previous votes and referendums.

Imo this has happened for fear of backlash no matter what side of the argument they may have picked. 

Just curious, is it just the company that is taking a neutral stance, or are you expected to remain neutral for the whole campaign, even in a personal capacity once you leave the office?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Just curious, is it just the company that is taking a neutral stance, or are you expected to remain neutral for the whole campaign, even in a personal capacity once you leave the office?

Have to remain neutral when at work and if wearing anything that shows who I work for so branded clothes etc. Can't post anything on social media if I've said I worked for them etc
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:55pm
Is your job training blue-eyed men to be young believers?
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is your job training blue-eyed men to be young believers?

LOL
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 2:42pm

WTF ?

Do you live in North Korea ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:05pm
I find the concept of political neutrality on matters cowardly. Unless you are consistently neutral and apolitical to the point that it is your ideology, it seems to me to be an almost annoying way of being a friend of the status quo, or a way of avoiding having to indicate your true feelings on a matters which might make you unpopular, or that the opinion you may hold may actually be objectionable.

While the company is entitled to do what it likes (provided its private), i'm not sure what they mean by if you've told anybody you work for them that you cant illustrate your views. Is that just on social media, or on a wider basis?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I find the concept of political neutrality on matters cowardly. Unless you are consistently neutral and apolitical to the point that it is your ideology, it seems to me to be an almost annoying way of being a friend of the status quo, or a way of avoiding having to indicate your true feelings on a matters which might make you unpopular, or that the opinion you may hold may actually be objectionable.

While the company is entitled to do what it likes (provided its private), i'm not sure what they mean by if you've told anybody you work for them that you cant illustrate your views. Is that just on social media, or on a wider basis?

I agree with you on that believe sitting on the fence e.g. been neutral is a cop out

In terms of outside of work hours social media was 1 aspect mention and any functions etc we attend wearing work clothes etc. Free to talk about it in own time as long as have nothing on that shows work logo etc
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:27pm

I agree with you on that believe sitting on the fence e.g. been neutral is a cop out

In terms of outside of work hours social media was 1 aspect mention and any functions etc we attend wearing work clothes etc. Free to talk about it in own time as long as have nothing on that shows work logo etc

Fair enough! And as a private company they do have the right to request that their name not be brought into the debate.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

WTF ?

Do you live in North Korea ?

Every Civil Servant must remain neutral on referenda.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:30pm
I see “Love Both” launched their campaign today. It includes former Libertas EP candidate Caroline Simons, and impeached UCD SU President, Katie Ascough.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:45pm
I think this one is not going to go through . Old people vote and young people do not . 
Personally I am anti-abortion but I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body and would vote yes if I lived in Ireland. 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I think this one is not going to go through . Old people vote and young people do not . 
Personally I am anti-abortion but I have no right to tell a woman what to do with her body and would vote yes if I lived in Ireland. 
I think it'll be a no vote as the 'Yes' side are not debating, rather just insulting. You need to convince the undecides voters, especially men, who would have a higher amount voting 'no'. Shouting down any opinion will not work.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

I think it'll be a no vote as the 'Yes' side are not debating, rather just insulting. You need to convince the undecides voters, especially men, who would have a higher amount voting 'no'. Shouting down any opinion will not work.

Do you mean that you are voting no or do you mean that you think that the result of the referendum will be no?
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 42>
  Share Topic