You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 8th - Repealed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
Poll Question: Will you vote to Repeal the 8th amendment?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
74 [64.35%]
41 [35.65%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 8th - Repealed!
    Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:50pm
I'm curious to see how the users of YBIG will vote in the upcoming referendum on repealing the 8th amendment.

I will definitely be voting yes for a number of reasons and see it as another important milestone in the separation of church and state in our country.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:58pm
Voting repeal.

It doesn’t need to be a black and white issue. People can also vote with their conscience clear, as this is removing what is a constitutional anomaly which was designed to keep all parties happy, when in fact it failed to do that, while making the situation infinitely more complex. Voting for repeal is not the same same as voting for abortion.

I think the primary benefit that will come from it is the freedom it will give the physician to act in the best interest of their patient without fear of prosecution, or retribution for what would be a medically sound decision. Beyond that is my own views on matters of choice and conscience, which are personal, and are no business of mine.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:06pm
Can't vote in this poll but I will be voting yes in the referendum.
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Mr Maroon View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Maroon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:12pm
I'll certainly be voting yes.

I'd defy anyone to read the stories of people effected by the 8th (such as those on the "In Her Shoes" Facebook page) and not vote for Repeal. It's not about being pro- or anti-abortion. I don't think anyone is pro-abortions. It's about allowing pregnant people to receive safe healthcare in their own country.

The 8th ammendment isn't stopping Irish people from having abortions. Every day at least 12 women and girls from Ireland have an abortion. It's only adding unnecessary suffering in already difficult circumstances by forcing them abroad or forcing them to order pills online and have abortions at home without the appropiate medical aftercare. If there are complications after either coming home from the UK or after taking pills at home, women are faced with the threat of 14 years in jail if they go to their doctor.
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Voting repeal.

It doesn’t need to be a black and white issue. People can also vote with their conscience clear, as this is removing what is a constitutional anomaly which was designed to keep all parties happy, when in fact it failed to do that, while making the situation infinitely more complex. Voting for repeal is not the same same as voting for abortion.

I think the primary benefit that will come from it is the freedom it will give the physician to act in the best interest of their patient without fear of prosecution, or retribution for what would be a medically sound decision. Beyond that is my own views on matters of choice and conscience, which are personal, and are no business of mine.

Agreed, and this in particular is a very important point. The 8th amendment has cost women's lives.

@ringerbell, not sure why you couldn't vote in it, sorry about that!
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:43pm
Will absolutely be voting to repeal. While I'm not the biggest fan of abortion myself, I fully believe that people should have the option, especially those in real need of it
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Will absolutely be voting to repeal. While I'm not the biggest fan of abortion myself, I fully believe that people should have the option, especially those in real need of it
I don't know about being a fan of abortion, the more people I meet the more I think it should be compulsory.
Padraig View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:46pm

This is something I think people are commonly mistaken about. Being pro-choice does not necessarily make one 'pro-abortion', whatever that means.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't know about being a fan of abortion, the more people I meet the more I think it should be compulsory.

I'm still hoping natural selection will come good eventually on a grand scale.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 6:17am
Can’t vote but would vote repeal
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:11am
100% Yes Approve
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:52am
Absolutely yes.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 8:22am
I see the people who voted no above haven't been brave enough to post as to their reasoning why, pity really.

I can't vote on this but am 100% voting repeal the 8th.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I see the people who voted no above haven't been brave enough to post as to their reasoning why, pity really.

Think that's gonna be a theme of this, the "silent no". Same as the marriage equality referendum, the way it's being portrayed at the moment is you're either a "Repealer" or a "Religious wacko". Would genuinely love to hear some of the thoughts of the "no" voters.

I'll be voting Yes as I believe doctors/physicians should have the power to do what they think is right for any patient.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
I'll be voting yes. Abortion is already a reality in Ireland. the only difference is it is unsafe and illegal at present. Every woman who wants to abort has her own reasons for doing so and whether those are satisfactory reasons are a matter for her and her alone to consider. It is not the place of the State, and much less the church, to moralise or make value judgments on that. I believe our system as it is is failing women, and whatever anyone's opinion on abortion is, i feel that a provision banning it has no place in the foundation document of our state.

The issue with contentious referenda such as this in Ireland is that the more reasoned middle ground voters don't have their voices heard. extreme and polarising views are the ones that sell papers and attract viewers. Ultimately it will descend into a vicious and dirty name calling exercise. I am also not at all confident that the referendum will be passed.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
annoyed I can't vote in the referendum, restricted to those who have been living abroad less than 18 months. i'll be moving back to Dublin in the coming year, so it is something that could affect me in the coming years. would be a definite yes too
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:17am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

i think silly comments like this is why many silent "no" voters wont engage in a debate...

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
I am sure the church would be happy to carry on digging holes in a backyard in Tuam and tell the world it never happened . CensoredCensoredCensored

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
  Share Topic