You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Putin/Russia thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

I don't think the Russians will particularly care about what we've done, but i also agree we shouldn't, as a neutral country, get involved in such diplomatic sanctions based on the say-so of a foreign country playing war games. Simon Coveney says this is to 'show solidarity with our nearest neighbour' - that being the one we are at loggerheads with over their complete disregard for a crucially important question to us over our border, in the event they shoot themselves in the foot by leaving the EU. That solidarity has gone unreciprocated when it matters time and time again.

We shouldn't be getting involved in this as a neutral country. Austria didn't follow suit for the same reason, and cited a desire to build bridges between east and west. We ought to have done the same.

The Russians want nothing to do with that. I would agree with that logic if I didnt feel there was such bad faith in the way Russia is currently conducting its domestic and foreign policy. They have no interest in bridge building. Also, Austria's current administration is not something I would look at as something to admire considering the junior party of Government.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Australia took action, America took action, Canada took action, most of the EU took action. So if we did nothing, we would make ourselves more vulnerable to attack, when other countries had made it clear the Salisbury assassination attempt was unacceptable. We had no choice.

I don't think we're any more vulnerable to attack than we would be if we stayed out of it and all I can see is that we can only lose out having needlessly bad relations with Russia. 

I could understand if we gained something in return from the UK (more favourable terms on the Brexit/border issue) but it seems like a needlessly self-inflicted wound but we'll agree to disagree. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I don't think we're any more vulnerable to attack than we would be if we stayed out of it and all I can see is that we can only lose out having needlessly bad relations with Russia. 

I could understand if we gained something in return from the UK (more favourable terms on the Brexit/border issue) but it seems like a needlessly self-inflicted wound but we'll agree to disagree. 

I actually think attempting to play "hard ball" like that with the UK could backfire. The Russians won't care too much as their issue is with the UK, and the other major states, rather than the small ones who will make a symbolic decision here. and quite frankly, i'm glad we're not standing on the side of the Governments like Greece and Austria given who runs them.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:53pm
There are only 3,000 Russian citizens in Ireland.There are 18 diplomats and 29 staff in total in the embassy.That's more than they seem to need. They also have an oversized satellite dish and a tennis court.They can't be up to any good.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone see PrimeTime last night? The Russians are building an expanded embassy in Rathfarnham, adding a load of underground rooms that they claim are extra car parking and accommodation. This despite the fact that they reduced the numbers working here by 30% in the past few years.

What the f**k are they building there Confused

Where in Ruzthfarnham commrade is this been built? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

There are only 3,000 Russian citizens in Ireland.There are 18 diplomats and 29 staff in total in the embassy.That's more than they seem to need. They also have an oversized satellite dish and a tennis court.They can't be up to any good.

That’s not a tennis court, it’s a launchpad for Thunderbird 2.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Anyone see PrimeTime last night? The Russians are building an expanded embassy in Rathfarnham, adding a load of underground rooms that they claim are extra car parking and accommodation. This despite the fact that they reduced the numbers working here by 30% in the past few years.

What the f**k are they building there Confused

Where in Ruzthfarnham commrade is this been built? 
Russian Embassy
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:59pm

This site can’t be reached

https’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

They are onto you comrade Shezite
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I don't think the Russians will particularly care about what we've done, but i also agree we shouldn't, as a neutral country, get involved in such diplomatic sanctions based on the say-so of a foreign country playing war games. Simon Coveney says this is to 'show solidarity with our nearest neighbour' - that being the one we are at loggerheads with over their complete disregard for a crucially important question to us over our border, in the event they shoot themselves in the foot by leaving the EU. That solidarity has gone unreciprocated when it matters time and time again.

We shouldn't be getting involved in this as a neutral country. Austria didn't follow suit for the same reason, and cited a desire to build bridges between east and west. We ought to have done the same.

The Russians want nothing to do with that. I would agree with that logic if I didnt feel there was such bad faith in the way Russia is currently conducting its domestic and foreign policy. They have no interest in bridge building. Also, Austria's current administration is not something I would look at as something to admire considering the junior party of Government.

true, but it would be a handy excuse for us not to pursue a foreign policy which is based on populism that doesn't even emerge from our own country
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
I think the government has got this spot on. They have managed a lot of things very well lately, it has to be said.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm

true, but it would be a handy excuse for us not to pursue a foreign policy which is based on populism that doesn't even emerge from our own country

I would totally agree with that. But this is a token of solidarity, which will have very little resonance with the Russians. It is totally symbolic. However, I would prefer us taking a line on this particular issue. We may have our history with the UK, but that should not allow us fall into the trap of pandering to the Russians, or be seen to pander to Putin and co.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm
If ever I have been convinced that Ireland's approach to this is the correct one, it is just to look at the twitter pages and statements of those in parliament opposing the move to expel the Russian diplomat.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:32pm
The policeman injured in the nerve gas attack has left hospital. Mr Skripal's daughter is seemingly on the mend (to an extent anyway) and off the critical list. So the deadly nerve gas attack may not have been deadly ? Dunno if that means anything in the big scheme of things, but several sources of information were insisting up to yesterday that the 2 of them were more or less clinically dead. 

Anyway, the government has probably played this as well as they could have, no massive sanctions against Russia & a token gesture of solidarity with the UK/EU. The lads who invented 'Realpolitik' would probably approve, though not publically. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

The policeman injured in the nerve gas attack has left hospital. Mr Skripal's daughter is seemingly on the mend (to an extent anyway) and off the critical list. So the deadly nerve gas attack may not have been deadly ? Dunno if that means anything in the big scheme of things, but several sources of information were insisting up to yesterday that the 2 of them were more or less clinically dead. 

Anyway, the government has probably played this as well as they could have, no massive sanctions against Russia & a token gesture of solidarity with the UK/EU. The lads who invented 'Realpolitik' would probably approve, though not publically. 

It's 8 times more powerful than the substance North Korea used to assassinate Kim's relative in Singapore, ofcourse it's deadly LOL

As I said in the UK Politics Thread like 3 weeks ago the Police Officer contracting the virus was the key to the puzzle, he had only been at the front door of the Skripal household before he was poisoned so the source had to be there. And the fact he was on the outside of the house highly suggests a contaminated object such as the door handle or gate.
The car was taken away for suspicion but the question was raised how on earth did the Police Officer contract the virus if the car was tampered with which he had no access to.

There was no actual physical activity taking place IE. Smudging it his face like what happened in Singapore but the only slight contact is probably the only reason the 2 are still alive.

Edited by coyne - 29 Mar 2018 at 11:53pm
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 9:27am
Obviously Ireland went for the token gesture of expelling just 1 diplomat but we shouldn't be expelling any. We never expell American, British, French, UK or Chinese diplomats when they kill innocents and i can guarantee you the Americans have assisinated many a man, you just don't ever find out in the media. Hypocritical doing it for just the russians and not in our interests.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Obviously Ireland went for the token gesture of expelling just 1 diplomat but we shouldn't be expelling any. We never expell American, British, French, UK or Chinese diplomats when they kill innocents and i can guarantee you the Americans have assisinated many a man, you just don't ever find out in the media. Hypocritical doing it for just the russians and not in our interests.

I really don't understand why people are so concerned with consistent action, given that it's modern day Russia that we are dealing with. I also find it strange that issues of neutrality are being raised, when our military neutrality has not been compromised in any way.

I actually think this has raised an interesting issues as to whether our constitutional neutrality is a good thing.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:29am
I don't think it is in the Constitution that we are neutral
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I don't think it is in the Constitution that we are neutral

There is a clause about the EU which buttresses our neutrality. But it is a general policy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic