Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U17's - Have done us proud at Euro 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

People just seem to have been confused by the rules and are then afraid to backtrack when the confusion was cleared up. Everyone, myself included, was a bit unsure about the rules. As soon as they were made clear the debate should be ended, except if you have difficulty accepting that.

That isn't the injustice. The injustice is that this rule is probably implemented in less than 1% of similar scenarios globally, at any level. If it was then there wouldn't have been an issue. So clearly there is a very valid debate to be had, you had professionals as well as supporters who hadn't a clue that this rule existed.
There are very, very few cases as obvious as this one. This isn't a case of a goalkeeper being drawn to the ball or diving forward to soon, it was a goalkeeper running forwards! It was blatant and, considering the Dutch keeper had been warned for doing what most goalkeepers generally do, means this was extremely naïve, something the player himself seems to recognise in Sham's post.
He deserves huge credit for being so candid.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:53pm

People just seem to have been confused by the rules and are then afraid to backtrack when the confusion was cleared up. Everyone, myself included, was a bit unsure about the rules. As soon as they were made clear the debate should be ended, except if you have difficulty accepting that.

That isn't the injustice. The injustice is that this rule is probably implemented in less than 1% of similar scenarios globally, at any level. If it was then there wouldn't have been an issue. So clearly there is a very valid debate to be had, you had professionals as well as supporters who hadn't a clue that this rule existed.
There are very, very few cases as obvious as this one. This isn't a case of a goalkeeper being drawn to the ball or diving forward to soon, it was a goalkeeper running forwards! It was blatant and, considering the Dutch keeper had been warned for doing what most goalkeepers generally do, means this was extremely naïve, something the player himself seems to recognise in Sham's post.

There absolutely has been much more blatant instances than this and very few times is a penalty retaken, almost never has a player been carded. No one now is deniying that the ref has followed the law. But there is a clear injustice because this law, particularly the yellow carding of the goal keeper, has not, and is not being implemented across the board.

By definition that is an injustice. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:53pm

There absolutely has been much more blatant instances than this and very few times is a penalty retaken, almost never has a player been carded. No one now is deniying that the ref has followed the law. But there is a clear injustice because this law, particularly the yellow carding of the goal keeper, has not, and is not being implemented across the board.

By definition that is an injustice. 
Nine out of ten referees would give a retake in this instance, the retake isn't even up for debate. The fact that he warned the Dutch goalkeeper for what every other goalkeeper does in a shoot-out meant this was never, ever going to be one of those other times.
The only thing that is subjective is the yellow card. It may well be that Corcoran, nervous about the referee's warning to his Dutch counterpart and unsure of the rules, decided to try and stand behind the line to ensure he wouldn't be penalised. If this is the case then you have to feel sorry for him, but, like most laws, there is very little defence in ignorance. If this was indeed the case then the coaching staff must take some of the blame. Players should always be aware of the rules.
On the other hand, if Corcoran was just chancing his arm in an attempt to gain an advantage, even after the previous warnings, and his candidness in the above interview would suggest this may be the case, then it is hard to feel to sorry for him individually.
Like other attempts to gain an unfair advantage on the pitch like time-wasting, diving, cynical fouls, deliberate handball etc.; then the referee was correct, and that is with or without the recently amended rules.
The reason people think it is unjust is because it was a team they support, the player's age and the fact there seems to be a 'triple' punishment with the retake, the yellow card and the fact that substitutions aren't allowed. None of that is the referee's problem though, he is there to do his job and not to rewrite the rule-book.

Edited by pre Madonna - 15 May 2018 at 11:55pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 1:06am
You are absolutely adamant that there is no grey area here PM. I couldn't disagree more. I will say this though the moment I watched Corcoran save it live, I thought oh bollox he went too early. The more times I've watched it back, the more it looks like he did little wrong at all, unless he was behind the line when the strikers run up begins. 

Looking at it very slowly on replay, frame by frame :

- when the striker starts his run up, it looks like Corcorans feet are partially behind the goal line with the top of his feet touching the line. It definitely is not clear that he is totally behind the line, looking to gain an advantage by cheating. So there's no possible way you can definitively say an infringement is caused here.

- Corcoran then does a couple of tiny toe bounces in his same position. Not moving forward or off the line. This is while the striker is running up and is a yard or so from striking the ball. Definitely no infringement here.

- Corcoran clearly is not off the line when the Dutch striker touches the ball. The still photos definitively shows this. In fact the positioning of the Dutch keeper and Ireland keeper when making their saves are amazingly similar in that regard.

- The crux of the whole matter is that little step/jump motion just as/after the ball is being struck. I say as/after as it is that tight when going though the video. It is because it looks really pronounced live, that I thought he had stepped forward too early myself. It is obviously this pronounced step that alerts the referee and his mind is made up. I have no doubt at all that the referee has not awarded a retake on the possibility of Corcoran being behind the line at the start of the Dutch players run up.

- Look at the moment the ball is struck. That pronounced step/jump motion is clearly right in direction and this obviously moved the keeper slightly forward then when diving, as it does with ever single keeper trying to save a penalty. There is little if anything wrong at all with Corcorans save imo having properly broken down the video. The referee has interpreted his little hop/jump incorrectly imo as it was so pronounced. The stills are proof that the keeper was not off his line as the ball is struck, and this is as the hop/jump motion takes place.

I will totally agree with you about the players and management being poor if they are unaware of such penalty rules around yellow cards now for infringements. I like to think I'm very well covered on the laws of the game and I do recall the change where the feint became a yellow card offence, and I'm not sure how I missed the other change for keepers. The management especially should be aware of such things.

I cannot agree at all with your black and white assumption of what actually happened here though. just because Corcorans technique was pronounced or strange when saving, does not for a second mean that an infringement actually took place. Watching live I thought the exact same as you. Within 2 replays I was sure that if he was infringing it was because of a scenario from behind the line not in front of it. Breaking it down frame by frame, it's almost certain no infringement has taken place, and if there has it is by the slightest of margins and almost every penalty save ever made is also unlawful.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

You are absolutely adamant that there is no grey area here PM. I couldn't disagree more. I will say this though the moment I watched Corcoran save it live, I thought oh bollox he went too early. The more times I've watched it back, the more it looks like he did little wrong at all, unless he was behind the line when the strikers run up begins. 

Looking at it very slowly on replay, frame by frame :

- when the striker starts his run up, it looks like Corcorans feet are partially behind the goal line with the top of his feet touching the line. It definitely is not clear that he is totally behind the line, looking to gain an advantage by cheating. So there's no possible way you can definitively say an infringement is caused here.

- Corcoran then does a couple of tiny toe bounces in his same position. Not moving forward or off the line. This is while the striker is running up and is a yard or so from striking the ball. Definitely no infringement here.

- Corcoran clearly is not off the line when the Dutch striker touches the ball. The still photos definitively shows this. In fact the positioning of the Dutch keeper and Ireland keeper when making their saves are amazingly similar in that regard.

- The crux of the whole matter is that little step/jump motion just as/after the ball is being struck. I say as/after as it is that tight when going though the video. It is because it looks really pronounced live, that I thought he had stepped forward too early myself. It is obviously this pronounced step that alerts the referee and his mind is made up. I have no doubt at all that the referee has not awarded a retake on the possibility of Corcoran being behind the line at the start of the Dutch players run up.

- Look at the moment the ball is struck. That pronounced step/jump motion is clearly right in direction and this obviously moved the keeper slightly forward then when diving, as it does with ever single keeper trying to save a penalty. There is little if anything wrong at all with Corcorans save imo having properly broken down the video. The referee has interpreted his little hop/jump incorrectly imo as it was so pronounced. The stills are proof that the keeper was not off his line as the ball is struck, and this is as the hop/jump motion takes place.

I will totally agree with you about the players and management being poor if they are unaware of such penalty rules around yellow cards now for infringements. I like to think I'm very well covered on the laws of the game and I do recall the change where the feint became a yellow card offence, and I'm not sure how I missed the other change for keepers. The management especially should be aware of such things.

I cannot agree at all with your black and white assumption of what actually happened here though. just because Corcorans technique was pronounced or strange when saving, does not for a second mean that an infringement actually took place. Watching live I thought the exact same as you. Within 2 replays I was sure that if he was infringing it was because of a scenario from behind the line not in front of it. Breaking it down frame by frame, it's almost certain no infringement has taken place, and if there has it is by the slightest of margins and almost every penalty save ever made is also unlawful.

Spot on. There is nothing about the incident that is reductible to a black and white answer.
We're decent enough..
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:29am
I see Corcoran has said it was the correct decision.

The maturity on the lads head is incredible for their age.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:49am
I really don't see a grey area at all, you're right. It is as pronounced an example as you will see. Whether he starts behind the line or not, he makes two clear steps forward, which means he HAS to have been deliberately off his line at some point and was doing so to either a) trick the referee into believing he was on the line, possibly because he was nervous after the warning to the Dutch goalkeeper or b) to gain an unfair advantage over the penalty taker.
The only thing that has a grey area is the yellow card, the retake is completely without debate.

The movement isn't just to the right, it is forward and right. Maybe how the referee got to the decision is wrong, only he will know that, but the decision was ultimately correct.

By the letter of the law, I think the yellow card was also correct, even if it seems extremely harsh and shows a flaw in the rules, that being the inability to bring on a substitute goalkeeper in that situation.
As I have said though, the referee is there to apply the rules, not decide them.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:58am
I do think there is plenty of grey here myself, and I don't think just because a movement looks out of the ordinary or totally unorthodox by the keeper, means that it is 100 percent an illegal movement. As I've said myself, watching live I thought straight away retake because of that movement. After replays though it becomes less and less clear where exactly the infringement is imo, when if there definitely was one after watching numerous replays you'd imagine it would more and more clear. Outside of whether the retake was warranted, the yellow card situation is comical. A truly awful rule. It's awfulness hammered home by the inability to put an actual goalkeeper in as a replacement if such a red card incident happens again. They will either have to scrap the rule altogether down the road, or at a minimum amend it so a red carded keeper can be replaced by an actual keeper on the bench so as not to make a mockery of the penalty shootout. I really hope a big game in the WC pans out exactly like this, the rule will be changed the next day then.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 16 May 2018 at 8:59am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
kingofkings View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Going to a 'Bigger Club' next season

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingofkings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:03am
No grey area whatsoever. At the time, thought it was the wrong decision and a horrible way for Irleand or anyone to go out
On reflection the referee made the right discussion and there's no arguments to make otherwise
The youngfella coming out and admitting his mistake and exonerating the referee puts it to bed
Onwards and upwards

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:06am
We will have to agree to disagree then. The more I watch it, the more obvious it is. However 'unorthodox' his movements are, they include two forward steps. Even the player himself agrees, which really should be the end of it.
I think nine out of ten referees would have called a retake and the other one would have been wrong! The fact he had previously warned the Dutch goalkeeper meant he was always going to be called back. The fact we have heard no more from the Ireland camp on the matter, other than the player holding his hands up, seems to support this.
There is no question the yellow card is more debatable, even if I feel it was right, by the letter of the law.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 May 2018 at 9:07am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:21am
Put simply, if that step forward by the keeper is taken as the ball is being struck, is it not then actually a legal step by the keeper? My read on it is that the keeper must be on the line all the way through (that being from the beginning of the run up to the point of the penalty taker actually striking the penalty). From there is it not fair game to take a step, as every single keeper does this in this scenario especially when saving a penalty. The question is when is any forward movement made, if it's before the ball is struck it's definitely a retake. If the movement however is as/after the ball is struck, is that not a perfectly legal move by the keeper? I think it is, and I think when broken down that's actually what happened here. The fact that people are so sure it's 100 percent a retake is a bit odd I think, even with Corcoran himself saying the decision was correct.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 16 May 2018 at 9:23am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:29am
He is moving forward well before the ball is struck, which is why he, and others, are so sure. The only debate is whether he started behind the line or finished in front of the line, but both are equally wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:38am
Not disputing for a second that both are equally wrong. I am disputing though that he was definitively ahead or behind the goal line at any point from the strikers run up beginning, to the point of the striker hitting the ball. It really is not clear on the replays, I know as I've gone and slowed them down and freeze framed them. I like to believe what my eyes are seeing! I can see why plenty think he's clearly off the line, I thought that originally myself, but when slowed down, it is not clear at all that an infringement occurs.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:41am

Not disputing for a second that both are equally wrong. I am disputing though that he was definitively ahead or behind the goal line at any point from the strikers run up beginning, to the point of the striker hitting the ball. It really is not clear on the replays, I know as I've gone and slowed them down and freeze framed them. I like to believe what my eyes are seeing! I can see why plenty think he's clearly off the line, I thought that originally myself, but when slowed down, it is not clear at all that an infringement occurs.
He makes two steps forward before the ball is struck, unless he is only sixteen months and not sixteen years, then it would be physically impossible to have stayed on the line. It is blatantly obvious.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:51am
Simply can't agree with that statement. Your belief is that any steps occurred before the Dutch player strikes the ball, and that is highly debatable. All you have to do is go the rte player, replay it a couple of times, freezing it at different points throughout. What you are saying simply is not definitively true then, once viewed in that way. I can see why the referee might think otherwise in real time, but that does not necessarily make him right. Btw, I would encourage anyone to watch the '05 CL final penalty shootout. There are points where Dudek is taking 2/3 steps forward before a ball is struck. Pirlos penalty being saved is hilarious it's so blatant. Much more blatant than anything Corcoran did. That is at the heart of the issue here, if I went back through 100 penalty saves from the past year or 2 (I know Dudeks were further back, but there wasn't even  a murmur about them being illegal at that time) how many would actually be undeniably 100 percent legal?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:55am
I will actually go at this another way. If that penalty save stood from Corcoran, do you think the Dutch player taking the penalty, the Dutch manager, the Dutch media, that any of the above would say a word about the save being illegal if they went on to be knocked out over it. I don't for a second think they would. It is the norm in penalty save situations imo thst there's leeway given to the keeper.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:58am

I will actually go at this another way. If that penalty save stood from Corcoran, do you think the Dutch player taking the penalty, the Dutch manager, the Dutch media, that any of the above would say a word about the save being illegal if they went on to be knocked out over it. I don't for a second think they would. It is the norm in penalty save situations imo thst there's leeway given to the keeper.
In a word, yes. If it was the other way around and the Dutch goalkeeper had done similar and got away it, I would understand the sense of injustice.

Edited by pre Madonna - 16 May 2018 at 10:00am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:00am

Simply can't agree with that statement. Your belief is that any steps occurred before the Dutch player strikes the ball, and that is highly debatable. All you have to do is go the rte player, replay it a couple of times, freezing it at different points throughout. What you are saying simply is not definitively true then, once viewed in that way. I can see why the referee might think otherwise in real time, but that does not necessarily make him right. Btw, I would encourage anyone to watch the '05 CL final penalty shootout. There are points where Dudek is taking 2/3 steps forward before a ball is struck. Pirlos penalty being saved is hilarious it's so blatant. Much more blatant than anything Corcoran did. That is at the heart of the issue here, if I went back through 100 penalty saves from the past year or 2 (I know Dudeks were further back, but there wasn't even  a murmur about them being illegal at that time) how many would actually be undeniably 100 percent legal?
I have watched it umpteen teams, he moves far, far too early and nearly certainly from a position behind the line. Maybe it is the old RTÉ player that is dodgy?

I cannot understand the debate here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 38>
  Share Topic