You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U17's - Have done us proud at Euro 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Simply can't agree with that statement. Your belief is that any steps occurred before the Dutch player strikes the ball, and that is highly debatable. All you have to do is go the rte player, replay it a couple of times, freezing it at different points throughout. What you are saying simply is not definitively true then, once viewed in that way. I can see why the referee might think otherwise in real time, but that does not necessarily make him right. Btw, I would encourage anyone to watch the '05 CL final penalty shootout. There are points where Dudek is taking 2/3 steps forward before a ball is struck. Pirlos penalty being saved is hilarious it's so blatant. Much more blatant than anything Corcoran did. That is at the heart of the issue here, if I went back through 100 penalty saves from the past year or 2 (I know Dudeks were further back, but there wasn't even  a murmur about them being illegal at that time) how many would actually be undeniably 100 percent legal?
Plain and simple he is on the move forward to try and give himself a better chance of saving it.
You have had to watch it multiple times from a camera somewhere on the half way line to say he is just about on the line.
The linesman calls this no question about it he has the best view it would have been very clear to linesman if he was off the line.
He has judged he was and then the correct process was followed after.
No very nice but good officiating simple as that.
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:06am
Ye seem definitive in that Corcoran was off his line lads. I'm not sure how ye can be at all, when it's broken down. The point that be moves forward/sideways is key. If it's as the striker hits the ball, it's perfectly fair game imo unless I am reading the rules wrong. I wouldn't for a second put complete faith in the linesman or referee in such an instance either fruice, they have been known to get things slightly wrong in the past.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:11am
You keep making me doubt myself Hans, then I go watch it again and see how blatant it is. The slower the speed, the more blatant it is. He is two steps forward from his starting position when the ball is struck.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:13am
None so blind as those who will not see. He was off his line, took a chance as most keepers do, got caught. Retake and a yellow, simples. Are you Ray f**kin Darcy or what?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:13am

Ye seem definitive in that Corcoran was off his line lads. I'm not sure how ye can be at all, when it's broken down. The point that be moves forward/sideways is key. If it's as the striker hits the ball, it's perfectly fair game imo unless I am reading the rules wrong. I wouldn't for a second put complete faith in the linesman or referee in such an instance either fruice, they have been known to get things slightly wrong in the past.
What I'm saying is it looks like his back foot MIGHT be on the line From a an elevated angle probably 70 yards away.

The lines man is 10 yards away looking across the line.
His view is the best and easiest to make the call.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:23am
Wouldn't disagree with you Fruice, I can only say what it looks like to me. That is the camera angle given, so it's obviously not definitive. My point is that going by the tv replays it's not definitive either way when slowed down. Btw, calling anyone Ray Darcy is a truly cutting thing to do!
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:26am

Wouldn't disagree with you Fruice, I can only say what it looks like to me. That is the camera angle given, so it's obviously not definitive. My point is that going by the tv replays it's not definitive either way when slowed down. Btw, calling anyone Ray Darcy is a truly cutting thing to do!
It's definitive that he takes two steps forward before the ball is struck, unless he has size one feet he has to be off the line at some point before the ball is struck. 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:33am
fooking hell who’d of guessed we would have a couple of Margret Thatchers reincarnated here on our very own Ybig, the ladies are not for turning Dead
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:00am
Jimmy Corcoran has officially signed for the Preston North End acamdey today. Every cloud etc. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:13am

https://twitter.com/kingratom/status/996120311274921986

I think this tweet clears everything up regarding the debate between the two penalty saves.

The ball hasn't even been kicked and the Irish keeper has clearly advanced and in comparison with the Dutch keeper, the ball has been kicked and he still has his back leg on the line.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:15am
Fair play to him. From the little he had to do during the game, I thought he looked decent.
We're decent enough..
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Jimmy Corcoran has officially signed for the Preston North End acamdey today. Every cloud etc. 

Delighted for him. I can see the incident has been discussed to death on here but, whatever your view on it, the emotional wringer the poor chap went through over those 10 seconds or so was devastating.

My own penny's worth on it would be that he made a forward movement before the ball was kicked and therefore ultimately can't have too many complaints about the retake (as the player himself admitted, much to his credit). The main aggrievance is that, at all levels, keepers do this all the time and very rarely get penalised. Was it the 2003 Champs League final where the keepers were basically charging down the penalties? None were retaken. There is a case to say the Dutch keeper was also just about off his line for the first penalty but Corcoran's definitely seemed more blatant. The issue around the rule change, or directive, issued in 2016 to book a keeper for coming off his line seems harsh, but then again in the long term is likely to reduce instances of keeper's chancing their arm. It will be interesting to see how many keepers get cautioned over the summer in Russia.

My overriding take way from the whole incident however has nothing to do with an u-17 side who acquitted themselves so well over the tournament, but rather over the fact that a man who has managed the u-21s for a number of years, and even the senior national side on occasion, is not aware of an incredibly basic rule such as no substitutions being allowed after the final whistle of extra time. That is genuinely extraordinary.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

https://twitter.com/kingratom/status/996120311274921986

I think this tweet clears everything up regarding the debate between the two penalty saves.

The ball hasn't even been kicked and the Irish keeper has clearly advanced and in comparison with the Dutch keeper, the ball has been kicked and he still has his back leg on the line.
I agree the Irish keeper is about to advance in that photo. About to being the key words. The Dutch player is about to strike the ball and the Irish keeper is ready to advance. He hasn't advanced already. He isn't a yard or so ahead of the line and the ball is just about to be struck. I'm genuinely at a loss as how still photos such as that prove he was off his line. They clearly do not. It really is the unorthodox way that Corcoran hopped a couple of times on his line and then went to spring forward that has people convinced he was off his line. He is perfectly entitled to hop on his line while staying on the actual line. He is perfectly entitled to spring forward once the ball is struck, which is what that still photo shows he is about to do.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:45am
So seeing as Corcoran has shown maturity beyond his years in accepting the decision, are we still going to wallow in perpetual victimhood with the misleading thread title. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:54am
Back, and to the left...
Back, and to the left...
Back and to the left...
Back, and to the left...
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:04pm

Maybe Ray Charles would be more appropriate 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:17pm
good point about king though, the fact that anyone who has been in team management as long as him and doesn’t have a clue about basic laws of the game, holy f**k. Always did come across as an arrogant sort but he is some bellend.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 12:26pm
LOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Maybe Ray Charles would be more appropriate 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 38>
  Share Topic