You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Research for Dalymount Park Radio Documentary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research for Dalymount Park Radio Documentary
    Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm

Howya all. As some of you know, I’m currently studying for a Masters Degree in Journalism in DCU (insert nerd gag here Wink). Rather than doing an academic dissertation, we have the option of making a 40 minute radio documentary for the Thesis module which I'm considering.

The subject of the documentary would be Dalymount Park which is due to be demolished next year and redeveloped. As it is possibly entering its last full year of use before then, it feels like a good time to do this.

Rather than solely concentrating on the football element, I also want to look at other cultural events in the history of Dublin that happened there and talk to people who attended. I may even just end up focusing on one area but want to gather as much info as possible before deciding.

If yourself, or anyone you know, attended any of the below events and would be interested in contributing then please pm me and I will get back in touch to discuss it. Stretching it a bit with the Douglas Hyde match but you never know!

Many thanks!

Music

Red Hot Chili Peppers & support at Sunstroke - August 25th 1994

Faith No More & support at Sunstroke - June 27th 1993

Black Sabbath & support at A Garden Party - August 28th 1983

Meat Loaf & support - June 13th 1982

Bob Marley & The Wailers and support - July 6th 1980

Status Quo and support including Christy Moore and The Undertones - July 1st 1979

Thin Lizzy and support including Boomtown Rats - August 21st 1977

International Football

Ireland 1 Morocco 0 - 12th September 1990 - Last international at Dalymount

Ireland 1 Italy 2 - 5th February 1985 - Visit of World Champions, huge crush resulting in capacity of ground being reduced for future games - lucky there were no deaths

Ireland 8 Malta 0  - 16th November 1983 - Ireland’s record victory

Ireland 3 United States 2 - 29th October 1979 - Chris Hughton debut - first black player to play for Ireland

Ireland 3 Russia 0 - 30th October 1974 - Famous win with Don Givens’ hat-trick on Liam Brady’s debut

Ireland 1 Spain 0 - 5th May 1965 - 1966 World Cup qualifier

Ireland 3 Sweden 2 - 1st November 1959 - John Giles debut

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1106/740020-john-giles-debut/   

Ireland 1 England 1 - 19th May 1957 - 1958 World Cup qualifier - last minute equaliser by England - "You could hear the silence at Nelson's Pillar”

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1411-radio-sports-commentary/1450-philip-greene/365144-international-soccer-ireland-v-england/

Ireland 1 Yugoslavia 4 - 19th October 1955 - Bishop McQuaid instructed Catholics not to attend as match was against Communist nation who had previously imprisoned a Zagreb Archbishop who had supported fascist regime

http://bocktherobber.com/2014/06/john-charles-mcquaid-and-the-yugoslavia-football-match/

Ireland 3-2 Poland - 13th November, 1938 - President Douglas Hyde removed as patron of GAA after attending “foreign game”

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/the-president-the-ban-and-the-truly-gaelic-gaels-1.1251108

Club Football and Charity Event

Bohemians 3 Rangers 2 - 19th September 1984 - Famous UEFA Cup win and Dalymount riot

Shamrock Rovers 2 Limerick 0 - 24th April 1966 - FAI Cup Final and 1916 veterans paraded to commemorate 50th anniversary of 1916   

Bohemians 3 Arsenal 8 - March 7th 1962 - First game under floodlights

Shamrock Rovers 0 Manchester United 6 - 25th September, 1957 - Busby babes European Cup tie in same season as air crash

Soccer with the lid off - charity games in 1950’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPY0aCxIf84

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 10 Mar 2018 at 11:40am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:18pm
Sunstroke music festival 1994 and 1995
https://www.setlist.fm/festivals/sunstroke-5bd6afc4.html

I think Sunstroke for 1994 was appropiately named. Music goers drinking all day during blistering weather.

There was a Soviet Union International that also had a call to boycott.
The threat of boycott and threat of reduced capacity meant RoI played alot of Friendlies versus Poland because the Roman Catholic church in Poland resisted the Polish Government so individual Polish Catholics (Athlete/Player) were not guilty.
The games versus an Eastern bloc country were deemed necessary to prepare for an upcoming Eastern competitive International and the NW European presumation all Eastern teams played the same way.

U18 UEFA/EUFA European Championship Qualifier Rep of Ireland v DDR (East Germany) 1988/89 (approx). German physio was a middle-age woman. When she ran onto the pitch to attend to her Players she was greeted with cat-calls and personal abuse. De DDR were more progressive with Gender Equality than Rep of Ireland, still the same.

Zinedine Zidane with Bordeux Girodins along with Vukovic brothers. (Maybe two years in a row).

Pothole in the penalty area, Football (production) ceases. It hits the headlines.

Edited by UCDFAN - 09 Mar 2018 at 3:19pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:30pm
(I understand these stats are correct)

1987 Int Friendly Rep of Ireland 5:0 Israel
Kelham O'Hanlon 100% clean sheet record.
Niall Quinn first start (after 16 sub) 1st goal. He took moment to appreciate what happened then celebrated standing on the spot.
Tuesday, day before Bulgaria v Scotland when RoI qualified for EC last 8. Like before when they qualified for EC last 8 v Austria. When there were people on the pitch but not incroucing on the penalty area during the penalty kick, because that is illegal.

Edited by UCDFAN - 09 Mar 2018 at 3:32pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:44pm
Jack Doyle fought there in the 40s
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Niall Quinn first start (after 16 sub) 1st goal. He took moment to appreciate what happened then celebrated standing on the spot.
Tuesday, day before Bulgaria v Scotland when RoI qualified for EC last 8. Like before when they qualified for EC last 8 v Austria. When there were people on the pitch but not incroucing on the penalty area during the penalty kick, because that is illegal.

Yeah, I was at that game, David Kelly hat-trick. There was less than 10,000 there. I picked Morocco as that was the last game. What Austria game are you talking about, Euro 1972?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Jack Doyle fought there in the 40s

Yeah, I considering looking into that. It's covered in a documentary here. 

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:21pm
The Bonovox advertisement over vomitorium behind corner flag main Connaught St turnstiles.
Maybe,maybe it was that sign that Paul Hewson got his nickname from.

Bohs home game used in tv series of book 'Woman who walked into doors' by author Roddy Doyle.

Peter Hanrahan career ended by Avery Scum, scum, scum in FAI cup match UCD 3:3 Bohemians. UCD took the lead 3 times.

Sillouettes of football fans with lights on in different windows of 'Phoenix House'(?). It would have been one of the tallest buildings in Dublin.

I can send you the full text of Simon Inglis 'Football Grounds of Europe' 1990. References £60,000 installment to eventually purchase Dalyer. I think a regular poster on here has a sig about searching for an autoparts dealer in back laneways rather than a National Stadium.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Yeah, I was at that game, David Kelly hat-trick. There was less than 10,000 there. I picked Morocco as that was the last game. What Austria game are you talking about, Euro 1972?

Sorry Drumcondra I didnt see your question til now.

EC Qualifier 13 Oct 1963 last 16 2nd leg
Republic of Ireland 3:2 Austria (3:2 agg)

Favourable 0:0 brought huge well behaved crowd for 2nd leg.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShVGIk1Gec
(Thanks for allowing me to find this)

Ireland played Spain in the last 8 two legged quarter final. Last 8 for European Champ Finals 1988 is valued differently.
The crowd in 1963 is a reminder to me, fans will come to a game if there's an opportunity to cheer something.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:32am
63 Austria is a great shout and the quarter final defeat by Spain.  

You may want to mention the Ireland Internationals there in the early years of the last century.  I think Scotland 04,06,08 & 13 were played there as was England 1912.  England 1900 was played at Lansdowne road as Dalyer wasn't open then.  

Some great FAI Cup finals.  1956 probably tops the lot.  

1939 Inter League win over the Scottish League.  Major success at the time.  

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:47am
9th March 2018 bohemians 0 saint Patrick's athletic 1

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

9th March 2018 bohemians 0 saint Patrick's athletic 1

Ha! You waxy fcuks.

Thanks for the replies lads. I'm really looking to talk to people who were at the gigs or the games so the early 1900's won't really be a runner. There's been plenty of documentaries done on the sporting history uf the ground so I want to try and get a different angle.
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 1:00pm
Sadly Andy Townsend shirt v Morocco and David Kellys hat trick debut shirt v Israel do not translate well to radio!!!

Best of luck with the project tho.👍
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:30pm
Sounds like a great Idea

Near FM did a music show on dalymount last year. It would be worth getting a copy. Daniel Lambert of bang Bang cafe would know about it.
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:51am
 My only memories are 
David Kelly's hatrick and Bohs V Aberdeen in 87 i think , and draw game between Ireland and France , sounds like a great idea though , always loved dalymount. 

Edited by royal rover - 27 Mar 2018 at 10:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic