Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 72>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I fear the introduction of VAR will result in an increase in the number of head injuries in the game. If VAR eliminates the grabbing and shoving at corners by awarding penalties,  i can see a big increase in collisions, in fact I can see some reckless defenders deliberately heading opponents to discourage them from trying to score. A loaf in the back of the head or cheekbone might make a forward think twice about going for the ball.

ConfusedLOL

One of the strangest posts i've seen on VAR
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:44pm
You get a bang to the head yourself CH?
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I fear the introduction of VAR will result in an increase in the number of head injuries in the game. If VAR eliminates the grabbing and shoving at corners by awarding penalties,  i can see a big increase in collisions, in fact I can see some reckless defenders deliberately heading opponents to discourage them from trying to score. A loaf in the back of the head or cheekbone might make a forward think twice about going for the ball.

ConfusedLOL

Reading it back it does seem a bit odd, but the point i was so badly trying to make was how defenders do whatever it takes to disrupt forwards movements at corners/set plays. If their current methods are eliminated by VAR, then what methods will they come up with to seek advantage. My suggestion is that there is likely to be more players attacking the ball rather than the man in the future which would lead to more clashes of heads, some intentional and some deliberste, causing an increase in head injury, an unintended consequence of VAR. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:19am
They can seek any method they like, as long as it complies with the laws of the game. 

Pushing and pulling in the box at set plays is neither, and is liable to result in a penalty or a free kick. VAR is designed to stop all that and ensure that fair play is enforced. If refs don't have the bottle to do it, VAR will do it instead. 

22 penalties in the tournament so far, a new record. 0 awarded for diving. The way it's supposed to be. Thumbs Up
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:33am

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

ConfusedLOL

Reading it back it does seem a bit odd, but the point i was so badly trying to make was how defenders do whatever it takes to disrupt forwards movements at corners/set plays. If their current methods are eliminated by VAR, then what methods will they come up with to seek advantage. My suggestion is that there is likely to be more players attacking the ball rather than the man in the future which would lead to more clashes of heads, some intentional and some deliberste, causing an increase in head injury, an unintended consequence of VAR. 

ConfusedConfusedConfusedLOL

What? As PM said, you sure you haven't suffered a blow to the head yourself?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

21 Peno’s so far in this WC.
Do you think the refs have been encouraged to give more?

Only 13 in the last WC.
2002 had the previous record - 18

Very interesting stats. I was only saying to someone last night how it felt like there'd been a crazy amount of penos in the WC so far. And really the introduction of VAR was always going to lead to that. All the 'dark arts' type defending you could get away with previously is a lot more tricky to pull off when it can be replayed in slow motion from multiple angles. VAR is going to have a huge impact in how defenders go about their business in future - which can only be good for the game.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

21 Peno’s so far in this WC.
Do you think the refs have been encouraged to give more?

Only 13 in the last WC.
2002 had the previous record - 18

Very interesting stats. I was only saying to someone last night how it felt like there'd been a crazy amount of penos in the WC so far. And really the introduction of VAR was always going to lead to that. All the 'dark arts' type defending you could get away with previously is a lot more tricky to pull off when it can be replayed in slow motion from multiple angles. VAR is going to have a huge impact in how defenders go about their business in future - which can only be good for the game.

But I think the threshold for a peno now is lower than it was before.
And we still have the issue with consistency. Last night Nigeria didn’t get a peno for head to arm but there was one the other night that was similar.
As planning said the diving in the box has been reduced which is a good thing.

We are up to 21 Peno’s now.
I hope the top scorer doesn’t get there by having 3/4 Peno’s.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:17am
the big change that needs to be made is carding guys for asking for VAR Kelly the Irish ref in the MLS says it works very well there.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:21am
Last nights no decision was correct imo. 
I think VAR has been a success but there’s plenty of teething problems, surrounding the ref, consistency etc. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 10:31am
The biggest problems have been with interpretation of the rules which have led to inconsistencies. There should have been better instructions given to the referees regarding holding at corners and handball in the box.
Also, while there has been less diving those that have cheated, even in incidents where VAR has been used, have got away with it. Surely a yellow can be produced when there is clear evidence of a dive.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:35pm
Cabra Hoop I thought you were taking the mick.  When there wasn't all this pulling and dragging where were the head injuries?  There were none.

Ref got the Nigerian peno right, Mascherano was holding yer man, not as roughly as we've seen, but holding him nevertheless and that's a peno every time.

If there are penos EVERY time for holding/pulling/dragging, it'll finally stop.  It's not been in football for the 47 years I've been watching televised/live football so hopefully VAR and braver refs (where there's no VAR) will finally start to award these penos. 

If there's 3/4 penos a game, so be it till it finally stops.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm
FW - not taking the mick.
When VAR hopefully puts an end to the shenanigans in the box what will defenders do to gain an advantage ? I think there will be a lot more aerial duels and some defenders might cross the line and deliberately try to take out opponents - I can think of at least 2 champion league winning central defenders who would have no problem doing this. Of course I might be wrong and just an old cynical curmudgeon.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 27 Jun 2018 at 1:46pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 4:03pm

We are up to 21 Peno’s now.
I hope the top scorer doesn’t get there by having 3/4 Peno’s.
It's looking most likely that he will. So what? A penalty still has to be scored. The two biggest stars of this WC have already missed one.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 4:06pm

FW - not taking the mick.
When VAR hopefully puts an end to the shenanigans in the box what will defenders do to gain an advantage ? I think there will be a lot more aerial duels and some defenders might cross the line and deliberately try to take out opponents - I can think of at least 2 champion league winning central defenders who would have no problem doing this. Of course I might be wrong and just an old cynical curmudgeon.

Most of them (apart from Chiellini) won't even risk getting hurt when a shot comes in as they all turn their backs the windy coonts so I really don't think they're gonna risk a busted head to gain an advantage.

Telling you lads, once penos become the norm rather than the exception, it'll stop.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:18am
Personally think the auld VAR system is good for the game. It needs to be given a chance to develop and be refined.

I agree with FW that when penalties become the norm it will stop. Defenders might have to actually defend corners and mark their their man, instead of hanging out of them, another plus for football. 

For Irish fans that are against or don't like it, I always point out that there would be no Hand of Frog if VAR was around!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
unpopular opinion time - I’m not overly bothered how many times a ref goes to consult VAR during a game or how much longer the game goes on for subsequently 
It’s good entertainment 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

unpopular opinion time - I’m not overly bothered how many times a ref goes to consult VAR during a game or how much longer the game goes on for subsequently 
It’s good entertainment 

+1
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
Agreed. I think it adds to the game with the potential for a decision to be overturned or reinforced. Good drama
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 72>
  Share Topic