Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VAR sytem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 72>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:26am
I know the use of the system is newish to football, but it's amazing to see these farcical scenarios. Or the scenario where it can take 5 minutes to come to the correct decision. Surely the VAR themselves can just award a penalty, offside, red card etc. when it's blatantly obvious what the call should be? This must be a purely ego issue with refs on the pitch wanting 100 percent control. Also this little monitor the refs take forever to watch on the side of the pitch, surely if there's bigger screens just use them. The referees badly need help, good knows the standard of of officiating is terrible in general, so the quicker they get this sorted the better. Not really sure how they are making this process so difficult for themselves!
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:32am
The decision to disallow West Ham's goal last night was superb officiating by the Linesman.

I'd imagine others would have let it stand.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:38am
Why are the referees even going over to view a small screen on the side of the pitch in some scenarios (but not all)
The video ref should be viewing it on his screen, making the call and communicating the decision through an earpiece to the referee on the pitch, like they do in the rugby.

It all seems very inconsistent and made up as it goes along, so far.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The decision to disallow West Ham's goal last night was superb officiating by the Linesman.

it was a good call, clearly the correct call. The frightening thing is how many refs and assistants would have let that goal stand.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:51am

Which one!?!

Even as somebody with WHU sympathies, all three goals were rightly chalked off.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Which one!?!

Arnautovic coming back from offside and letting the ball go through his legs.
He actually tried to flick it.
He was blocking the keepers view who would have saved the shot as it wasn't that hard but was put off by Arnautovic's attempted deflection.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Why are the referees even going over to view a small screen on the side of the pitch in some scenarios (but not all)
The video ref should be viewing it on his screen, making the call and communicating the decision through an earpiece to the referee on the pitch, like they do in the rugby.

It all seems very inconsistent and made up as it goes along, so far.

This must be an ego thing. The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment. The last thing I want to see in football is the situation in rugby where people stand around watching a ref regularly take minutes on end to make a call, and everyone hams it up and pretends as if this is a great situation and something to get excited about. It will be the death of football if it goes that way regularly.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Which one!?!

He was blocking the keepers view who would have saved the shot as it wasn't that hard but was put off by Arnautovic's attempted deflection.
Even without the attempted flick, the fact that the ball goes right under him and he's only a few yards in front of the keeper and dead centre, it's a definite offside. They need to tidy up the offside rule though, it's a mess imo, and the fact that that goal would be given my many refs shows that.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 11:00am

I actually think that was the best decision of the lot, as there is a degree of interpretation which is created with the "interfering with play" concept, and goals like that have been given.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment.

If a penalty should be given, it will be given, thus rendering the rest of the move useless. 

This is the future of officiating, where the right decision is always made, not sometimes made, as is currently the case. Even on the 50-50 calls, a valid case can usually be made for why the VAR came to it's final decision. 

There will be a time at this WC when a VAR will be needed to send a team through and knock a team out. So if it takes 5 minutes to reach the correct decision, so be it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed that diving has been effectively wiped out when watching VAR games. And that can only benefit football.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 8:13am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The biggest problem with the length of time it's taking to make decisions is that you're going to have a situation in a massive match yet where a penalty call is turned down at one end, the ball is stuck in the net at the other end in the same phase of play, and before ko the ref rules out the goal and goes back for a penalty. The quickness of decision making is absolutely vital for this to work. Its comically bad at the moment.

If a penalty should be given, it will be given, thus rendering the rest of the move useless. 

This is the future of officiating, where the right decision is always made, not sometimes made, as is currently the case. Even on the 50-50 calls, a valid case can usually be made for why the VAR came to it's final decision. 

There will be a time at this WC when a VAR will be needed to send a team through and knock a team out. So if it takes 5 minutes to reach the correct decision, so be it.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed that diving has been effectively wiped out when watching VAR games. And that can only benefit football.

For once I kind of agree with Planning LOL

I do also agree that they should perhaps pick up some issues quicker, if someone is watching on telly it should be a simple case of they say it straight away to the ref.

IFIRC there was an incident similar to the above situation in Confed Cup were a penalty or a free was given about 2 minutes later after the other team had counter attacked and nearly scored (Russia v Mexico???).

I think VAR needs time too, i'd imagine when they first brought in the Video Assistant in rugby it was chaotic.

As planning said there will be a case during this world cup were a team will either go through or be knocked out due to VAR decision (here's hoping its England)
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:05am
i think that each team should get one VAR referral a match, and it is their choice as to when to use it. if they get it right, then they keep their referral, otherwise that's that for the rest of the match. it'll cut out a lot of the issues that have gone on before.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

i think that each team should get one VAR referral a match, and it is their choice as to when to use it. if they get it right, then they keep their referral, otherwise that's that for the rest of the match. it'll cut out a lot of the issues that have gone on before.

I think maybe more then 1 would have to be used perhaps 3 like in say Tennis.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

well, if you get the referral correct, then you keep your original one to use again. 3 per team, if all used, could potentially add an extra 30 mins to a game (exaggerating it saying 5 min per referral, but it's happened regularly)!
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 11:11am

well, if you get the referral correct, then you keep your original one to use again. 3 per team, if all used, could potentially add an extra 30 mins to a game (exaggerating it saying 5 min per referral, but it's happened regularly)!

Not convinced that if you gave managers or team captain say, that ability, that it wouldn't be used cynically to say, disrupt a game if a team is mounting a comeback in injury time etc.

The current process is awful. Technology is obviously there but its implementation so far smacks of wanting it to fail.
@AntrimMan85
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Not disputing any of that. Of course if a penalty should be given, it will be given and make what happens after that penalty decision redu ndant. The problem is time. It shouldn't take 2 mins to give an absolutely blatant penalty. I've seen it take a good few minutes in the Bundesliga this season to make a VAR decision on the monitor on the side of the pitch, that the VAR himself could easily have made. I'm not disagreeing with you in general, I'm massively in favour of VAR. How they implement it is key though. Also totally agree that it will make diving way less prevalent, which is a massive plus.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:58pm

IFIRC there was an incident similar to the above situation in Confed Cup were a penalty or a free was given about 2 minutes later after the other team had counter attacked and nearly scored (Russia v Mexico???).

I think VAR needs time too, i'd imagine when they first brought in the Video Assistant in rugby it was chaotic.

As planning said there will be a case during this world cup were a team will either go through or be knocked out due to VAR decision (here's hoping its England)

The ref stopped the game about 30 seconds after he initially turned down the Russians penalty appeal. The opposition had barely crossed the halfway line. VAR said it was not a penalty, so the game restarted with a drop ball.

The referral idea sounds great. Unfortunately it won't be used in the spirit intended, but used as a dark arts tactic, often near the end of games. By waiting all that time to use it, it will mean earlier decisions will be wrong, which defeats the purpose of VAR. 

This is for the benefit of officials, to ensure that the laws of the game are correctly applied, and that there is fair play. Players and teams try to influence and intimidate referees enough as it is, without using VAR to do it as well.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:18pm

I thought it should be like the red flag in NFL. Say a manager has 3 a match. If he challenges and it is wrong then he loses a sub, if it's right he just uses up one challenge? Makes it more likely that the manager goes with the refs decision if he is unsure too?
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 72>
  Share Topic